Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-12-2002, 12:03 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up monster 273 v-eight?

C'mon all you gearheads. I'm new at this and need some engine info. Can one build a killer 273 small block or is it just not capable of much. If so what are the (goodies) that I should pack inside this little guy?
I'm looking for streetable yet highway capable-but I do want lopey cam and good low end torque.--Please help with your suggestions.
Oh my budget cannot exceed $3500.oo
Old 07-12-2002, 02:34 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Crate motor

If you are dumping $3500. into it here is the 380hp 360 for $3465

Jims, may find it even cheaper!!

Quick and easy, just need a carb & headers. It even comes with the elec. dist.!!

Keep the 273 for originality!

Old 07-13-2002, 12:33 AM
Inactive User

Default no crates for me

Heard lotsa bad stuff from crate motor owners such as improper torques causing major damage and grab bag parts stuffed into them, not to mention hassles from m/p for warranty repairs.
If I were to get a crate motor I would have to take a look inside first and check it out.
I am really looking for good advise on building this 273, that was my question.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:19 PM

Spending $3500 on a 273 is a waste of money. Even if you have to disassemble the crate 360, you're only out the cost of a gasket set.
Forget the 273, I know it's not the info you asked for, but it's good advice.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:18 AM
Inactive User

Default monster 273 V-eight

I just put a thread under classical mopar asking about the same
thing. This is just my input, replace the bumpstick, swap solid for
hydraulic lifters, different pushrods and rocker arm assembly(standard or roller style). I don't know cost wise whether this is
reasonable or not, I guess the next best thing is just get a rebuilt
360, and keep the 273 when you bring back the car in restored
or concourse condition? There must be a how-to book on restoring and/or upgrading the ol' 273 V-8? Any input on this would be helpful!
Old 07-17-2002, 01:08 PM
Inactive User

Default 273 A-body

An interesting story about a 273.

I ran across a guy out of Columbus, OH who has & had a lot of cars.

He told me a story about a 67 Dart (GTS I think) he had back in the late 60's that was special factory equipped with a HiPo 273, 4-speed and 4.88 gears. It had power nothing, skinnies, no radio and no hubcaps. He bolted on a set of Doug Thorleys, some old snow tires and used to street race it and occasionally take it to the track. He spoke highly of the combination, was rarely beaten and typically shifted the car at 8000+ rpms.

He traded the car and purchased a 69 4 speed Hemi Roadrunner and was disappointed to find it was not as fast as the Dart. He didn't like to lose. He spent more money on the RR to get it to turn the same timeslip as the Dart. He also later learned that Dodge had only built 50 of these Darts under some special program. Needless to say that was his unicorn he let get away.

I also knew a fella who had a 66 Cuda' Fastback with a 273 & 4-speed. It would scream!! He later replaced the engine with a 340 only to find the 273 outperformed the 340.

My opinion, the 273 would be a great engine to build, but I personally wouldn't attempt it for anything other than a light A-body, 4-speed and 4.88+ gears. The engine only performs at higher rpm's and doesn't want much interference to get to that rpm range.

I just remember the biggest thrill the gentleman from Columbus kept emphasizing was the seeing those kids in the new big block Vettes and Chevelles getting beat by a dirty old small 273 Dart with snowtires and no hubcaps. Heh, heh, heh...
Old 07-18-2002, 02:56 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up monster 273 V-eight

Cudaspaz, check out the reply to my question under "vintage mopar chat" under rebuilding the 273 V-8. He gave me a wealth
of information on what to do with the 273 V-8. I hope this can help in deciding on which direction you will take on the 273 V-8 future?
Old 08-02-2002, 12:06 AM
Inactive User

I am kicking around alot of ideas and have come to the conclusion that I need to get some literature thanks to the advise of some of the guys in this forum. So I can stop asking some pain in the butt questions to the old pro's.
I do think I am going to build a 360 from scratch with a four speed conversion.
I can't wait to get a digital camera so I can upload some pics of my 67 resti-transmogrificuda.

Old 08-13-2002, 02:24 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation Monster 273

I hate to see you give up on the 273. I will never forget the first 273 Hi Po I saw, tires smokin' and it was stock. I also saw one that cleaned up at the Drag Strip one day too. I would check to see if the edelbrock heads will fit. A good set of headers and a 600 cfm Edelbrock Carb. and you are well on your way! I will check the desktop dyno for cams too! Drive Fast, oh yea, and safe too.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Inactive User

For what it is worth! I am restoring a 1967 Dart which has the original 273. It had great power as a stock small block. I am not willing to give her up. The 273 can make a lot of power and run fast. Look at it this way, anyone can do a 360 but not everyone can love and appreciate what you can get out of the small small block. I really don't think it will cost you $3500. Take some time and start costing it out. I ported and polished my 273 heads. It took me weeks cause I did it slow and did not want to screw them up. You would be surprised how much you can clean things up by removing castings on the sides and top, including removing some of the meat just behind the valve seat area where the port connects while blending to the gasket and opened the bowls. Do lots of research first. I got a lot of good info from many people on mopar chat and also got some really good info off the internet. Also, I am replacing my 1.78/150 with 1.88/160 valves. I am keeping my mechanical lifter hardware. I will be boring it .030 - .040 over. I know that I will be spending money on the 273, but it is what I want to do. It all depends on what you want. If it feels good do it. I am not out to win all race and beat the world but I am going to be proud to say and show, look what this 273 can do. Pound for pound she won't let you down.

David Davis
Old 08-27-2002, 09:58 PM
Inactive User

Default decisions,decisions.

Well, I have had the motor and the 904 trans for sale on moparts.com.
Only had one reply ,and he did not want it cause it is not in running order.
I would really like to build it ,but I have't the slightest clue where to start let alone the engine tools to do it. I am no engine guy ,but I can drive good...Does that count?
I am still kicking around ides. It has been so hot here in atlanta this summer that I only tinkered on my car for about seven days total. I will start spending some deniro in the fall when I can actually breathe in my garage.
I really need some good info on a complete a-body auto to four speed swap-what all is involved?
The 273 build up is still up in the air , I am in no hurry, I just want my car to be tight ,right ,and fast.
I need some good e-mails with some info from someone who had done the four speed swap over.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:53 PM
Inactive User

One of the fastest cars I ever owned was a 66 barracuda with a 273 commando motor. It had 2.76 gears in the rear and wouldn't do crap off the line...but once you wound it up, it would fly. 150+ mph, used to really cheese off my bro in his 440 6pk roadrunner with his 4.10 gears he was done at about 135, and I could pass him. Pretty damn funny to me at the time.

Build the 273 with a good set of port matched 318 heads, 10:1 pistons and a 474-509 hyd cam. Put the M-1 single plane and a 600 afb carter, and small tube headers w/ 2.5" exhaust and you will have a fun car. I would go with 3.55-3.91 gears to help it off the line, unless you are only interested in top end speed.

BTW, you don't (?) say what car it's going in? The lighter the better for the smallest small block.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:59 PM
Inactive User

Don't give up on the 273 idea....had one in my 66 Cuda until recently...i'll save you the build up head aches as i've spent the better part of 4 years getting the motor to scream....also have a good set of ported heads with 1.88 stainless valves/ double springs etc...also have good block with stock formula"S" 10.5 pistons .....drop me a mail at normamondor@yahoo.ca.....p.s: that dart was the 66 D dart, have copy of article fromm 66 on it...
Old 08-30-2002, 11:03 AM
Inactive User

DO NOT LET GO OF THE 273 - I absolutely would love to have that combo back - well actually father in law has it - and it is great. I will try and track down an old article I have and it will change your mind. The car was a 67-68 dart and the 273-4spd was running 10.90's no tubs, no NOS, and on 9" slicks. Granted it was not stock but father-in-laws 67 4spd runs 13.50's on 245/70/15 street radials - bone stock other than headers and very loose front shocks.