Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Banned

i got a 70/71 book, but there is a guy in marlboro maas that deals in old books and microfiches. if i was in better healh id dtart a specifier service.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

Default Window trim clips

Anyone know of a good source for windshield and rear window trim clips for a 74 Dart Swinger??
Old 01-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Banned

alocal Auto body suppply house.those clips might even be available from mopar.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Inactive User

Parts and Suppliers

I have bought parts from all the major suppliers and many smaller suppliers. Summit and Jegs are very limited but with some good pricing for more popular items. Jacks is very helpful and highly recommended. Jim's on the other hand stay away from, very rude not helpful at all, I'll never deal with them again even if I have to pay more. Yearone of course has about everything you could want but you have to price shop. Mopars by Crane in Florida are also very helpful and easy to deal with ask for Sarah tell her the guy from Michigan referred you (don't know if they'll remember us or not but let them know they are appreciated).
As for quality most I have found have been useable in comparison. I can say that the rear interior panels are useless. Poor mold and fits like sh*t. Redo the originals if you can. Just dashes has restoration kits. You really have to shop compare and price out your items. Try to get as large an order as you can to save shipping and handling from no matter where you buy. Email me if you have any other questions.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Inactive User

Default parts suppliers & prices

most of what everyone else has posted is the way it is.....i'm speaking from a standpoint of working for mopar parts for 20+ years. if the suppliers catalog says "original chrysler part"...then it 99% of the time that is the case. i have seen people sell counterfeit stuff. it used to crack me up when guys would come in and brag about the "deal" they got on a oil pump pickup tube or whatever from year one....and then i'd tell them how much cheaper i could have sold it for. bad thing is these days most people in the dealers' parts departments know NOTHING about the older cars and most dont have catalogs for them anyway. only reason year one had so much of the original chrysler parts is the main chrysler parts distribution center for the southeast region of the US is in atlanta...right down the road. up untill the last few years there was still a pretty fair amount of "old" parts still taking up shelf space....i know, because i sold as much of it as i could get my hands on ! as far as aftermarket parts go.....just like the first reply said....lots of little guys making a parts or two. therefore you have lots of really good vendors that have mostly the same products....but they all carry a few items the other guys dont have. another tip: if you need interior parts....get them from the supplier and save some money...EXAMPLE: all seat covers and related items from year one are actually from legendary interiors...just repackaged. same with sheetmetal.....the only one actually stamping the stuff is goodmark industries...so find your closest goodmark dealer and save yourself some freight money. there are several different manufacturers on new wiring harnesses...all appear to be good quality. cheaper ones are probably more mass produced, some are individually hand made....as far as i know though, they only sell them through select vendors. i'm actually tooling up to make some hood emblems for the '68 gtx & road runner myself.....and then i'm also gonna be looking for a place like year one, jack's, tony's, hardens, etc... to distribute them. all it takes is just identifying the need for some of these parts that just cant be found used.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Inactive User

Default resto parts

i definitly agree with hotrod, most people in delaers now would rather hang up on you than look up an old part. saw it every day at my job until i sat everybody down and told them to just transfer me all calls for anything older than 1974. i always kept a fairly current notebook of all the major parts that were still available for the musclecars...made it alot easier. the thing most people dont understand is that probably 60% of mopar dealers that were open in the early 70's were gone by the end of the decade due to chrysler's money problems and then they almost bankrupted for good in early 80s and wiped out even more dealers. (i've seen various reports as to the percentage of closed dealers.....HOTROD...you probably remember all this very well, i was just getting into the business at that time) where i'm going with this it that most of those dealers closed the doors and once all inventory was gone all the records, parts books, etc.. were thrown away or given to other dealers (mostly thrown away) ... fast forward to 2006 you find that probably 80% or more of current chrysler/dodge dealers havent even been in business longer than maybe the mid-late 80s or early 90s and you also find that there are almost no "old timers" still in the business that ever knew anything about the older cars. also these dealers never had the old parts books to begin with since they werent in business that long. as recent as 1994 you could still get original reprint chrysler parts catalogs well back into the '60s but due to lack of interest (gee, it's not in the computer so it must not be available attitude)
they discontinued all that and the microfiche too. biggest problem was just the crappy attitude of most of the parts guys that want to get rich off every part they sell but still dont want to have to expend the energy to actually go try and find the damn part number for an old car. i'm not trying to knock all mopar parts guys (i am one) but i have successfully located probably 90% of the obsolete (NOS) or "ns1" parts that i ever tried to find. i do have a set of catalogs i saved from the trash heap from '65-'74 and can look up some items on a limited basis and set you up with the locator phone number. please , no huge lists...i'm gone alot due to health problems but try to check computer a few times a week when i'm feeling okay.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Inactive User

I know MOPAR now sells OEM and NOS parts now. I remember when it was like pulling teeth to find anything. Also belonging to the local mopar club helps. My "ClubCard" gets me 25% off from MOPAR! gotta love us broke as MOPAR guys
Old 08-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Inactive User

Here's my experience with the restoration of my Super Bee:

Year One: quick enough turn-around, but too many parts not in stock which means adding a few weeks to the shipping time. Painless return policy. Less-than-informed sales staff... at times.
I have ordered parts from people who appear to have no idea what a Super Bee is. Prices seem reasonable, and shipping packaging is perfect.

Legendary : very knowledgable staff. Quick turn-around, but like Year One, many items are not in stock (I waited months for my arm rests, due to the supplier. As a side note, these white arm rests did not meet my expectations, so I sent them back without hassle.

Just Dashes : currently restoring my tired, old arm rests. They do awesome work, but are pretty expensive. Still, I believe they can do anything. They restored the complicated and very used-up dash for my Alfa Romeo. I cannot say enough good things about them...except the hold music. Unless you really like the Beach Boys.

Tonys - expensive, but they can get almost every piece you need. The shipping packaging is very inventive, but gets the job done. Recommended.

JC restorations - they did my gauge cluster. The attention to detail is amazing. Almost better is the service. These guys pay extremely close attention to your needs, and know how to communicate.

RT Specialties - knowledgeable and friendly. For those overlooked odds and ends, its tough to top them.

Coker - as good as it gets. They delivered my wheels and tires last spring at the Portland swap meet. Really nice guys, and a near perfect reputation.

As for OEM / NOS / ETC - I am building my Bee to drive, mostly. I am using a lot of resto parts from year one, which is good. I am not depleting the NOS well. I don't have any illusions of competing on a higher level, so a few show-and-shine trophies will have to suffice. Such is the sacrafice for using your car.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by new bee
Coker - as good as it gets. They delivered my wheels and tires last spring at the Portland swap meet. Really nice guys, and a near perfect reputation.
Thanks for the kind words. We are here to help.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Inactive User

Hey! Thanks for the great service.
And, perhaps someday you guys might consider reproduction vintage BMX tires?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Inactive User

I've used these guys with great success on quality and prices:

www.rpmrestoparts.com
Old 10-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Banned

Mopar has always sold NOS and oem Parts.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Inactive User

I know what you guys are saying
Ive worked for a gm dealer for 23yrs parts mgr for 15
and IVE saved the old books
the mgr before me threw out all the price books
but i saved the early books
all the older car questions are referred to me becauce my guys
1 dont want to look up the parts
2 dont know what the customers want
3 dont know how to look up parts in a book
Ive had good luck with year one paddock mancinis
and collectors auto supply.com (need part #)
mike
Old 01-14-2007, 01:14 AM
Inactive User

Anyone mention Layson's Restorations as a Good Supplier ???
Old 01-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Inactive User

If a year one part number begins with FD....it means Factory Direct. All you have to do is find the mopar part number,,,not year ones and order from local dealer.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin My take.

I deal with Year One, Jims,and Paddock as well as ebay.I've found it to my advantage to also deal with the specialty guys like if you need a set of new weather stripping there are businesses that deal only in rubber. Ive found that educating myself as much as possible helps.Sometimes a company will say something is repro of original but you can tell it's not because you are holding the original in your hand and it aint the same thing. Jim's is O.K. but they are open M thru F.I did, however just now recieve somethin g I ordered in Jul. of '06.Year One and Paddock seem to have good customer service but I've found Paddock is usually cheaper.On the flip side my experience with Year one is they have what I need in stock more often.The bottom line is have patience. I ordered a sound deadener kit from A-1 auto.I don't recommend them. The kit was just a general one that didn't quite fit right and when I aksed for a little assistance they said to talk to a carpet guy.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Inactive User

I recently finished restoring my 65 satellite and I used many different suppliers. Year one has a great selection if you have 70-74 E-body or 68 and newer B-body.....same with the Paddock except they don't seem to have as big of a selection. I don't think anyone can beat Legendary for interior, great selection and the staff is also great to work with. Summit is ok for engine parts, but I prefer Mancini. Someone mentioned Layson's......*sigh* Dave has a good selection but is on the pricey side (like everything MOPAR). He's a nice guy and loves/knows his MOPARS, but most of his staff sucks. Dave has a hard time keeping people (for what ever reason) and many times the guy behind the counter (I live right down the road from Layson's) don't know jack about MOPARS. I have actually bought parts at other places at a slightly higher price because of the knuckleheads at Layson's.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:09 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckertt@epri.co View Post
Sam,

OK, nobody wants to touch this, so I will ramble a bit more.

I have bought a lot of restore parts from a local guy (~60 miles away) named John McBryde. His company is named Motor Parts South. He is a very nice guy, and certaintly seems to know his stuff. He got some pretty cool Mopars as well.

We were chatting the other day, and he related the following story (my paraphrase is a very shortened version): There is a whole network of mopar guys that are actually the "manufacturers" of these restore parts. (I will call them "makers.") (i.e., these are the ones that sell to Year One, etc.) Each of these "makers" might only make one or two different parts. For instance Maker 01 might have spent the capitol to tool up and make the very specific part: "tag to attach to a sure-grip differential that says sure grip fluid." And Maker 02 on the other hand figured out where to buy bulk "cat whiskers" material for the side glass and then cut, form, and package them for each specific Mopar application. And Maker 03 invested the time and money to make "clone" decals to stick in the engine compartment and other places.

Well, according to the story, all these "Makers" know each other and also sell to each other at wholesale prices. Obviously they also sell to Year One at wholesale as well. But they don't sell cheap to Joe end user because that would ruin the 'buddy system' they have going.

Don't get me wrong; I am not suggesting that their 'system' is bad. I just wish I had an inside connection, which I do not.

My local guy John McBryde, will quote me a price out of the Year One catalog, but he does not charge me shipping (if I drive to his place to pick up the goods.)

So again, this probably doesn't do you any good, but it kept me off the streets for the last 10 minutes.

Tim
That is a touchy subject you jumped in there on! But before we start blasting away at our part suppliers that supply the parts that Chrysler long ago threw away to make room for more modern stuff. You have to consider this and ask yourself these two questions.
1. Were you into Mopar's before there was any kind of aftermarket other than engine and transmission parts? You know the days were you spend months looking for a decent rearview mirror to replace the one you couldnt see out off?
2. Did you convert to Mopar when you saw a 1 of 12 1970 Hemi 'Cuda convertibles sale at an auction for 2 million dollars? And thought well if i can find one of the other 11 cars i can sale it and buy a new house and get the wife a real wedding ring?

I fit into the first catagoery. I was driving a '68 RR that was cool, then went ok, then only an old car, till finally an old car that was clean. But i must say i like it better now because there is so many repo parts available you can sit at home in the a/c and order online. You don't have to wade the bushes and snakes to check out a car you saw in a field. Unless your looking at buying that type. And i never thought we as the Mopar hobby in general would reach the legions of mustang and camero owners as far as reporduction parts. Most if not all the reproduction suppliers fit into either 1 or 2. Some do it simply like me they got tired of never ending parts hunting or only finding parts a little better then what they had. So they got the ideal to make or recreate what they could, hoping it would help someone else down the line and make a buck or two doing it, and thats fine with me. On the other hand you have those who only got involved to make a buck and could care less. They will sell you what ever you want as long as you dont mind made in china stamped on it. And a 100% percent market up along with the sticker.
For me i stick with the one bunch. I do it for the smiles and waves and all the i remember my dad's, best friends, etc RR and the fun times we had. Thats what its all about to me.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Inactive User

Does Year One even have anything for a 65 Coronet?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:11 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by twjoyce View Post
Does Year One even have anything for a 65 Coronet?
Did you check this I posted in another thread?

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103902
Old 03-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by klonestar View Post
Id like to hear more about Jims ? Reason being im replacing all fuel parts from filler tube parts to tank to complete fuel line and since I live in NH Jims is the closest place for me to take my old parts in with me to match up with the new ones before purchasing. I figure in my case I should be safe as I will be onsight and can check out everything ahead of time.

Thanks,
I have never heard anthing but complaints about Jim's, besides to go to jim's from where you live is a 2 1/2 to 3 hour ride (115 miles each way). I don't think you will want to just pop over to Jim's
Old 06-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Inactive User

Help Looking for floor pan

Hi.

I am looking for a rear under seat floor pan for my Plymouth Cuda 74. I did not find it used, so I want to buy a repro panel. I know that Goodmark offers the full rear floor pan but it is not cheap... and also I am not too keen on cutting out such a large portion of the floor.

Any ideas ?

Stephane
Montreal
Old 06-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Inactive User

year one has great return policy. and alot of the stuff you need, one stop shopping is a time saver no matter if it is a few dollars more. I believe if you go strait to legendary for interior items you stand to save a middleman cost since i have been told they provide the interior stuff to all the other sellers but not completely sure. Shipping is costly nowadays and large orders from year one get a discount and that covers shipping some times and that has been good to me.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Inactive User

goodmark is tooling up for alot of cuda parts I heard. Qtr panels for cuda ist time since 70's. Yeah!! Year one should have it (floor pans) and you will have to fit, cut and refit since none of the body panels/pans are anywhere near OEM or original quality. The best qtr panels u can find for a charger are laughable compared to the old days. ask any body man who has replaced qtrs in the last 6 yrs on a charger. Can make a grown man cry! You may have to just buck up on the cost since cuda is hard to find, not as many as challenger and no parts interchange from challenger to cuda on exterior for sure and possibly interior as well. Harms the plymouth guys for sure. I am doing 73 cuda very soon when charger is done so i dont mind sharing info with you. Good luck, brian
Old 06-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Inactive User

Stephane, forgot to mention the gutting of cars and sales on ebay but beware of some goofball sellers, ensure paypal is accepted as payment and i have seen alot of guys ads gutting cudas and selling parts, though old cuda floor pans would be as bad as yours probably since all cudas rot fast in same places.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Inactive User

buy the shop manual on disk, it breaks down every nut and bolt and cuts down on bookeeeping of parts since you have schematics of everthing. photos help and doing rolling resto vers complet tear down keeps headaches down, but little slower.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Inactive User

FOUND !!! ??? under rear seat floor pan

Yeap!

At Autobody specialties they told me they are finally getting this part from a new supplier.... They said they would have it at the Carlisle show... You bet that I will visit their boot!

I hope the sheet metal is thicker than Goodmark.

Well I have to run to Carlisle!

Stéphane
Montréal

Cuda74 & Challenger
Old 07-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Inactive User

Default Jim's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ 440R/T View Post
I'd say you'd be fine. I REALLY hate to send anyone to Jims but in your case since you will be dealing with them face-to-face you should have no worries and if something does arrise you are able to go back and sought it out in person.

I have had absolute trouble first hand several times. Bad phone manner, terrible professional service and there email may as well be non-existent! They act like they don't give two craps. LATE, LATE emails and orders a such a bugger to chase up. I HATE jimsautoparts!

Actually, my bad experience with Jim's auto happened about five years ago when I went to their store (they're about 20 miles from me). I had done all my searching for parts on their website to make sure that they had what I absolutely needed. When I got there, they charged me more than the web prices saying first that, "the web prices are subject to change." When I told them that I printed the prices that morning, they changed their story to, "our costs are less when ordered through the web." I asked how that could be since they ship from the very same location, they told me that "nobody's forcing you to buy the parts."

I was SO incensed that I filed a report with the Better Business Bureau for what I thought were bait and switch tactics. Their attitude stinks. In all my years of experience in buying stuff, I've rarely come across an outfit that treats its customers and potential customers with such rudeness.

Stay away if nothing else but for the principle!

Terry
Old 08-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Inactive User

Default I'm brand new here but have a restoration Q

Just joined the chatroom today. Lots of helpful advice but I don't see any mention of names of Mopar restoration companies that people have used. The reason I ask is that I have a 70 Challenger RT/SE 440 6-Pack that is if my past research is correct, one of only 167 made. I am thinking very strongly of having the car restored to showroom condition, not only to enjoy but as an investment as well but lack knowledge of any competent, trustworthy, dependable restoration companies out there. I have frequented the annual Chrysler Cars at Carlisle show several times in the past, and saw one company that looked impressive, Totally Auto, Inc. Has anyone had any experience with them or of any other restoration expert(s) that they could recommend? I could use some advice/suggestions/comments etc.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Inactive User

I began restoring my first Challenger in 1987 and trust me there wasn't squat out there to choose from in terms of reproduction parts. You either went used, NOS or aftermarket (OEM style). By '91 Year One was getting into Mopar and I bought a lot of stuff from them, but most of it was NOS they had managed to buy in some quantity from the guys buying out old dealer stock. In that time the rest of it was found through ads in Hemmings from guys who had horded used and NOS parts and you could find some things through salvage yards (in the right part of the country) yet.

Today there are lots of sources for reproduction parts and there aren't as many NOS parts you can readily find and when you do, you pay through the nose for them (i.e. the heck with your kid's college fund). The repo parts aren't necessarliy cheap, but they don't cost like NOS does. Forget about "lunch pail" parts, because only the big dogs of the hobby can afford those. Of course when you think about it, unrestored cars still have lunch pail parts, if that part was never replaced during the life of the car and if the factory put it on!

Recently I have shied away from Year One for repop parts, because they tend to be more expensive than the smaller suppliers. Try the Paddock and get their price. There is also Harms in Missouri, that carries a large line of repop parts. Laysons comes up with a lot of one-off stuff, especially for A-bods and they reproduce a lot of limited runs of oddball parts. I have been seeing a lot of new repop stuff that is being made in the Far East-Taiwan. You can also sample prices at Jim's (I bought a few things from them through the years), Tony's and there are many other smaller distributors who are reputable. Mancini has good mechanical parts and their own leaf springs sets offer a good ride and handling for E-bodies (screw the HD Mopar springs for six pack and Hemi cars)! Phoenix Graphix makes the best stripe sets in my opinion and you can order straight from them, even non-production colors if you want to be different. Metro makes a lot of trim for various body styles, but not all of it!

E-bay is a great place to discover small suppliers and buy NOS and used stuff. If they advertise it, they got it in stock on an E-Bay auction. I made a lot of new contacts in the last few years through E-bay. Sure, there are some scam artists that try to operate there (I got ripped off once pretty good), but most of the Mopar parts people are honest. There are also some amature Mopar people selling on E-bay who don't know what they are talking about regarding what the parts they are selling, are for. That's ussually the guy who parted out a car 15 years ago and has forgotten what he took it off of.

Another new venue for parts will be Mopar Collector Guide's magazine new E-bay style site. You pay an extra $10 per year to use it, in addition to the price of your subscription. This should be a good place to start buying and selling parts, as well as cars.

If you don't want to experiment with different suppliers, then stick to the biggest ones, which in my book would include Y1, Paddock, Laysons and Harms.

Summit Racing is into racing. If you are building a race car, then shop for mechanical, tires and electrical parts there. They have barely touched the surface of restoration type parts for Mopars or any cars for that matter. They are primarily a source for Cheby and Forb owners though, because those are the two brands the aftermarket caters to because that is where the volume and big $ sales are!!! How many ways can you build up a 350 or 302 any way? I bought a new 4160 carb there for my Chally. You can buy a set of reproduction Rallye wheels there. You might be able to buy a Chrysler 360 crate motor through them, but it's very general stuff for Mopies that they sell.

Check out Mancini, Koller Dodge and other Mopar Performance dealers that sell the repop and OEM stuff and advertise in Mopar mags. You can also order Mopar reproduction parts through your local Chrysler dealer and they can hook you up with a new catalog. Be prepared to wait for some of those parts, cause Ma Mopar likes to advertise that they have something before they actually have it readily available in their parts system to sell and ship.

Any way, just shop till you drop is my motto and you will eventually find it if you keep looking and waiting. Mopar to you all!