Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Inactive User

Question restoration suppliers-prices and parts

i have bought many parts from year One,jacks,jims,and laysons over the years,and the repro parts all seemed ok-I am now doing a major resto on my 69 cuda notch. In making up my list of parts i am comparing prices and availabililty and there seems to be a big and small difference in the price of parts between dealers-some higher or lower,and not always the same place-is there a difference in their suppliers-better quality or just better prices-i am looking for opinions and facts-example-a forward light/engine harness in year one is 175.00,but in jacks it is 229.00-,but yet on similar items jacks is cheaper,and vice-versa-waiting for replies-sam
Old 02-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Inactive User

Parts prices

I have found that Summit seems to have lower prices from many others. I realize that Summit isn't into restoration parts so much, but are into performance parts.

So this doesn't really answer your Q. But I would like to help get this thread off to good start.

Tim
Old 02-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Inactive User

Default Mopar Restoration Parts

Sam,

OK, nobody wants to touch this, so I will ramble a bit more.

I have bought a lot of restore parts from a local guy (~60 miles away) named John McBryde. His company is named Motor Parts South. He is a very nice guy, and certaintly seems to know his stuff. He got some pretty cool Mopars as well.

We were chatting the other day, and he related the following story (my paraphrase is a very shortened version): There is a whole network of mopar guys that are actually the "manufacturers" of these restore parts. (I will call them "makers.") (i.e., these are the ones that sell to Year One, etc.) Each of these "makers" might only make one or two different parts. For instance Maker 01 might have spent the capitol to tool up and make the very specific part: "tag to attach to a sure-grip differential that says sure grip fluid." And Maker 02 on the other hand figured out where to buy bulk "cat whiskers" material for the side glass and then cut, form, and package them for each specific Mopar application. And Maker 03 invested the time and money to make "clone" decals to stick in the engine compartment and other places.

Well, according to the story, all these "Makers" know each other and also sell to each other at wholesale prices. Obviously they also sell to Year One at wholesale as well. But they don't sell cheap to Joe end user because that would ruin the 'buddy system' they have going.

Don't get me wrong; I am not suggesting that their 'system' is bad. I just wish I had an inside connection, which I do not.

My local guy John McBryde, will quote me a price out of the Year One catalog, but he does not charge me shipping (if I drive to his place to pick up the goods.)

So again, this probably doesn't do you any good, but it kept me off the streets for the last 10 minutes.

Tim
Old 02-18-2005, 04:28 PM

avoid jim's in NH.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:40 PM

Gentlemen, how does the restoration fanatic look at repro parts, even though they may be exact duplicates of the original? They are not NOS, so would a car rebuilt with these parts be considered a true restoration? Just curious. I have always been fascinated by the idea of restoring a car, but never had the time, ambition or money to do it. Hats off to those who do. Thanks for any replies.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Inactive User

Avoid JimsAutoParts. There absolutley shit!! They've F@#ked me around so much it's not funny.

Dick:

Using OEM parts would be classed as a resto, they are duplicates but are not date coded which is basically the only difference and of course there are usually some parts that have minor differences in apperance. Depends whos judgeing. You could get two cars exactly the same, one bing complete NOS job the other bits of both. The NOS car would be classed a number 1 car the other a Number 2 or even number 1. No one can make a resto using only NOS parts any more so using OEM parts is basically part of the deal when restoring. I myself wouldn't spend big dollars on NOS parts unless they we're parts I needed and couldn't find anywhere else. When you buy NOS your basically building a trailer queen, I prefer to restore a car to drive, using little things that are not visable from the the outside to help the car out, I call my resto a resti-fication. Resto/Mods.

Yearone is the best IMO, all prices vary from place to place but Yearones service can't be beat, quick replies via email or phone. HUGE parts selection for any year, car and brand. Friendly service and always give you great options on shipping or deals etc. Super fast shipping, takes 1 week from time of order to get to my front door, not bad from US-New Zealand.

Hope that helps. For hard to find parts you won't beat eBay, and I'm sure you've been told to watch out for suspect sellers.
Tonysparts has a great range of NOS parts and hard to find parts-car parts, new used etc. Quick shipping and are usually pretty friendly.

Those are basically my Challenger's suppliers.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-19-2005, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ 440R/T
Avoid JimsAutoParts. There absolutley shit!! They've F@#ked me around so much it's not funny.

Dick:

Using OEM parts would be classed as a resto, they are duplicates but are not date coded which is basically the only difference and of course there are usually some parts that have minor differences in apperance. Depends whos judgeing. You could get two cars exactly the same, one bing complete NOS job the other bits of both. The NOS car would be classed a number 1 car the other a Number 2 or even number 1. No one can make a resto using only NOS parts any more so using OEM parts is basically part of the deal when restoring. I myself wouldn't spend big dollars on NOS parts unless they we're parts I needed and couldn't find anywhere else. When you buy NOS your basically building a trailer queen, I prefer to restore a car to drive, using little things that are not visable from the the outside to help the car out, I call my resto a resti-fication. Resto/Mods.

Yearone is the best IMO, all prices vary from place to place but Yearones service can't be beat, quick replies via email or phone. HUGE parts selection for any year, car and brand. Friendly service and always give you great options on shipping or deals etc. Super fast shipping, takes 1 week from time of order to get to my front door, not bad from US-New Zealand.

Hope that helps. For hard to find parts you won't beat eBay, and I'm sure you've been told to watch out for suspect sellers.
Tonysparts has a great range of NOS parts and hard to find parts-car parts, new used etc. Quick shipping and are usually pretty friendly.

Those are basically my Challenger's suppliers.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, but now I am a little confused. NOS means new old stock and OEM means original equipment manufacturer. You refer to them as if the NOS is genuine and the OEM is aftermarket. I doubt if any of the OEM vendors to Chrysler are making any of the parts for the old cars, but probably other shops have scooped up the old tooling and even scored some of the old drawings.

That being said, didn't some outfit tool up a fiberglass Challenger a couple of years ago?
Old 02-19-2005, 03:22 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Thanks, but now I am a little confused. NOS means new old stock and OEM means original equipment manufacturer. You refer to them as if the NOS is genuine and the OEM is aftermarket. I doubt if any of the OEM vendors to Chrysler are making any of the parts for the old cars, but probably other shops have scooped up the old tooling and even scored some of the old drawings.

That being said, didn't some outfit tool up a fiberglass Challenger a couple of years ago?
I'm not sure about the fiberglass molding of a Challenger, I know rear 1/4's and hoods etc are available.
I meant OEM as in Aftermarket reproduction parts.

Old 02-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Inactive User

www.transamcuda.com has compiled a list of new Mopar parts for 1966-1980 cars, some dealers advertise 25% off any Mopar part, this is a good starting point.

Mopar Collectors Guide (MCG) magazine lists approximately 150 Vendors, price lists of older Mopars and parts for sale. They also have some cool cars a valuable information tool.
www.autohobbydigest.com is only one of thew sites that provide a wealth of information.

I have a 68 Cuda notchback project car.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Inactive User

jims in n.h. sucks! :flip:
Old 02-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Inactive User

I personally stay away from Summit. I refer to them as the Chevy store. If I am looking for engine parts or other drivetrain components I go to mancini racing, or Campbell Ent, Huges, or others that dedicate and concentrate on Mopar. Year one knows their stuff, Legendary also knows their stuff. Not everything you get will be perfect or exactly original. The Paddock is another place to get good stuff.
When you restore a car it all depends on what you are shooting for. Do you want the car to look original with some modern parts (electronic ignition) or does it have to be dead on. If you are part of the points competition then you better be dead on. The judging is strict and the judges know what to look for. They get right down to the proper style clamps and clips. The cars go up on lifts and everything is checked. You can use either OEM or NOS but it had better be correct. Using either one however makes your car a restoration and NOT a survivor. Survivor cars as I understand it have to have most of the original equiptment it was made with. belts, hoses, tires and other wear items can be replaced, but most everything else has to be original.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Inactive User

Year one is cool IF you have a popular body style. If you are like me and have a later b-body , good luck finding parts. Now if you have a cuda, challenger, or early b-body then that is the place to go. Though they can be overpriced on some items.
Legendary is awesome on interior parts. They ask alot but what you get in return is really worth the money put in.
Summit is cool if you need general parts and nothing ultra mopar specific otherwise. I would suggest hughes engines, mancini racing, and even schumacher. It just depends on what your current needs are.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Gentlemen, how does the restoration fanatic look at repro parts, even though they may be exact duplicates of the original? They are not NOS, so would a car rebuilt with these parts be considered a true restoration? Just curious. I have always been fascinated by the idea of restoring a car, but never had the time, ambition or money to do it. Hats off to those who do. Thanks for any replies.
I'll take a shot at this, I think most restorers consider them a necessary evil. Alot depends on your ultimate usage of your restored vehicle. If it's going to be a driver with only occasional show time, then the most reliable part that can be installed WITHOUT modification is your best friend.
Now if you're going to drive out onto the show field, it's a dog eat dog world!!!
If you've got some equally matched vehicles, that one wrong date coded part or wrong era hose clamp can be the difference tween walking home with the gold or walking to the truck for the long tow home!!
I much prefer accurate replacement parts, but sometimes an incorrect part will get you home when it turns out that NOS piece you installed just last week had dry rotted in the package!
It's all a matter of what your intended use for the vehicle is going to be, more than anything else.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Inactive User

Default Restoration

I ran across the same thing when restoring my 67 Chevelle SS eight years ago.OK I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW YOU DON"T LIKE CHEVYS BUT LIGHTEN UP AND DON'T BASH ME TOO HARD ! I happen to love all type old classic cars and choose to own what I love .I also especially love Mopars, especially 69 Darts which I own 3 of.But getting back to the subject.I did the same thing, listed all the parts I needed and priced them through 4 different vendors.All were pretty close but there were some parts that were $100.00 different.I found out that some of the vendors parts were not the quality of others.I found it best to find people that restored there cars and asked them questions especially about quality.I think for better quality all of us do not mind spending a few more dollars for the better quality part.I also found out that some vendors would give you the same price of there competitor.Does not hurt to ask them for the better price!I found it best to locate nice restored cars at car shows and cruise inns and ask owners who they bought from,and about the quality.But you can also do this on the web here also.Only difference you can see the cars at the show and cruise inns but not on the web other than pictures.You are doing the right thing just keep asking until you are satisfied.

Bobby Dodson
Old 03-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Inactive User

content

I always ask "who makes this part?" and the ones with nothing to hide will tell me. I try to deal with Mopar Only types. Summit, Jegs, PAW are all the same to me, whoever has it cheapest & instock gets my $$$. YearOne, Paddock have been fine to deal with but I do my homework before I buy from anyone. Ebay is a last resort, nobody makes it or has it kinda deal. Every show/meet I have a little note pad that I write "stuff" in. See something cool, ask the owner about it. Good luck on the 69 Notch, one of my favs!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcuda
i have bought many parts from year One,jacks,jims,and laysons over the years,and the repro parts all seemed ok-I am now doing a major resto on my 69 cuda notch. In making up my list of parts i am comparing prices and availabililty and there seems to be a big and small difference in the price of parts between dealers-some higher or lower,and not always the same place-is there a difference in their suppliers-better quality or just better prices-i am looking for opinions and facts-example-a forward light/engine harness in year one is 175.00,but in jacks it is 229.00-,but yet on similar items jacks is cheaper,and vice-versa-waiting for replies-sam
www.evanswiring.tripod.com for a better quote.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Inactive User

Hardens has been pretty good to us for finding parts thus far, and since the Paddock is local we've even gotten some parts from them as well. One thing I have found out is that Goodmark is starting to produce more parts for Mopar's. They are the only company I've found that is going to make reproduction fenders for 70-74 Cuda's and other E-bodies. They claim that the Challenger fenders should be available within the next 6 months and Cuda's within 8-12. Not sure if it helps any but check their website and give them a call. They're very informative and prices very fair. Did I mention they also make the best fitting part I've seen thus far? The quality and fit are unmatched and much cheaper than most other places I have checked into. I'm personally rebuilding a 67 Camaro, (don't give me to much flack) and have found just about everything I could ever want for the car through them.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcuda
No one makes a better harness than Year One. You can pay less or more, either way nothing beats the quality, most of which you do not see.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:34 AM
Inactive User

I just bought a 1969 Coronet R/T Convert 440, one of 450+/- made that year.

What is my first step in starting a restification. At first I thought I would just give it to a shop to do but now I'm thinking I should do it myself.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:43 AM
Inactive User

Take LOTs of pictures and notes, before doing any work on it.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

Default Restoration

As close to correct as you can get for the listed items.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Inactive User

I personally like Summit. I've never had a problem with them. As for them being heavy on the Chevy shit, I'll tell you that every distributor is that way, like it or not. No matter what, they are in the business to make money, period. They go where the money is, and I can't really blame them. I'd like to see more Chrysler stuff out there, but that's not where most car guys spend their money. There are far more of them than there are of us. I'd even go so far as to say that there are more people who use GM junk, Chevy crap specifically, than there are Phord and Chrysler fans combined.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Inactive User

hi samcuda
i'm doing a 69 cuda coupe major restore too. i've bought lots of parts and got some good deals and some ripoffs. jims in nh sent me some junk roof rail weather strip that didnt fit right. so i called them and they were going to charge me a restocking fee and no shipping refund. so i sent the parts back and recieved a full refund+ shipping. also at jims i got better door window weatherstrip than the junk i got from year 1. the front bucket seats were reupolsterd by ledgandary and looked real good, the back seat is on its way now. 1/3 of the parts for the car came from ebay in 6 years of using ebay i was only ripped off 1 time and it was recently for $126 for a 69 cuda trunk trim panel. i bought it because the other trim piece i had at the trim repair guys shop wasnt done yet in 6 months when he said 6-8 weeks. he finally did it and it looks great, but it cost $350 and i still have to paint it. this is the trim shop featured in a popular mopar magazine, you may have read about it.
mr g's interior screw kits suck. there are to many others to list now.
go mopar!
Old 07-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Jims auto parts ????

Id like to hear more about Jims ? Reason being im replacing all fuel parts from filler tube parts to tank to complete fuel line and since I live in NH Jims is the closest place for me to take my old parts in with me to match up with the new ones before purchasing. I figure in my case I should be safe as I will be onsight and can check out everything ahead of time.

Thanks,
Old 07-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by klonestar
Id like to hear more about Jims ? Reason being im replacing all fuel parts from filler tube parts to tank to complete fuel line and since I live in NH Jims is the closest place for me to take my old parts in with me to match up with the new ones before purchasing. I figure in my case I should be safe as I will be onsight and can check out everything ahead of time.

Thanks,

I'd say you'd be fine. I REALLY hate to send anyone to Jims but in your case since you will be dealing with them face-to-face you should have no worries and if something does arrise you are able to go back and sought it out in person.

I have had absolute trouble first hand several times. Bad phone manner, terrible professional service and there email may as well be non-existent! They act like they don't give two craps. LATE, LATE emails and orders a such a bugger to chase up. I HATE jimsautoparts!

Old 07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Inactive User

Default samcuda

hey samcuda
lets compare note's and tips on the 69 cuda coupe restore's we are doing.
bsbn440@cs.com
Old 08-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Inactive User

Default Restoration Supplier

Call Paul or Kelley Jacobs at Jacob's Restoration & Parts. 812-963-5219. Paul is extremely knowledgable and only carries quality parts. His prices are very competitive and shipping is great. I've bought quite a lot from him and NEVER had a problem. You won't be disappointed.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Inactive User

These are the only guys I have found so far in the last 11 years to actually seem to know what they are talking about with 1950-1970 c bodies. They have parts and they do work on them also. There website isnt very impressive but I would email or call them. http://jcauto.com/
Old 11-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Banned

As a Retired Mopar parts guymgr, stay away From Jims In NH!!!. Mitchell motor parts, Brads, Jacks Auto parts are all good guys to do buisness with a good local dealer is a help too , but alot of newer dealers dont have any books or knowlegable help or any ambition to help ya, they are out there you have to search, there are locater services but you need part #s and some body to look them up.Mopar has its own locater i think , they used too i know.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:16 PM

hotrod is correct, every dealer can get onto what's called dealer connect and as long as you have a part number it'll tell you whether a warehouse or dealer has it and a very brief description, and i mean very brief. i do this all the time. we don't have any micro fiche anymore and the books we have are very limited but as long as you have a part # you can find out if it's still available or not.