Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Inactive User

Help Failed at the basics: Help!

OK,

Been a few years since I've done anything to my Mopar besides start it, drive it up and down the road a few miles and park it (done every few months).
Always something else that needs done, it sucks getting old

Car has been sitting since last fall. Got some free time this morning, dropped in a fresh battery, made sure all fluids were there, etc.

Turn key, only get clicking sound. Tried different battery and checked connections. No luck.

Tried the old screwdriver at the starter relay trick to see if I could get it to crank. No luck there either.

The weird thing is that only the blower motor and the interior pillar lights work. Wipers won't move, headlights won't come on, seems like there is no juice anywhere.

Any ideas? I'm feeling like a right about now.........
Old 04-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Inactive User

Try cleaning the ground wire connection where it attaches at the engine block. It sounds to me like you have a bad ground. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:13 PM

I agree with bbeckwith's suggestion. Also, if the original battery terminal ends are gone, and it has the parts store replacement type that clamps on the stripped cable, take the clamp apart and clean where the wire is bolted and clamped to the terminal end.
One other thing you may try is get a volunteer to set inside the car and just hold the key in the start position while you wiggle wires and look for hot spots, maybe a wisp of smoke, which indicates high resistance at a bad connection.
I had a similar problem with my niece's car, and it caused me some irritation until I found the problem, similar to what I mentioned previously, was at the point where the battery terminal clamped on the cable.
Good luck!
Old 04-19-2005, 03:13 AM
Inactive User

Any one mention the dreaded amp meter connections? Remove and clean the bulk head connector wiring harness, this is a trouble prone area.