Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Inactive User

Default ok, you asked for it, lol

Same shop as above. You know those drop lights that hang from reels on the ceiling? My co-worker Bob used to really hate it when guys would leave them low enough to hit your head or face. Bob was another short-tempered guy, and he would grab the light as he walked by, give it a hard tug and let it go. The light would suddenly reel straight up and whack the ceiling, narrowly missing the florescent light tubes. I warned him he was going to take out those tubes one of these days, but Bob never really listened to anybody. I was walking behind him through the shop one day, and the same thing happened. Only this time... you guessed it... he caught the tubes square, which sent long shards of glass and phosphorous everywhere. I dodged the pieces but smart-guy Bob wasn't so fortunate. A long section of one tube sliced across his right bicep, opening a very deep and long laceration, through the muscle and almost to the bone. Now, I've been told that if phosphorous gets in a wound it will never heal, so several of us grabbed him and ran the wound under water for a few seconds. He didn't seem to care for that too much, and it's probably a good thing we had his arms. Off to the hospital for stitches. He was more careful with the drop lights after that.

One last note about Bob. One day he accidentally cut a customer's a/c hoses instead of the heater hoses he thought he was cutting. I heard a sudden sound like steam being released from a steam engine train, looked over, and the sight of him standing looking back at me from a white cloud was something I'll never forget!
Old 05-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Inactive User

Default Scared Chevy dude

I remember ounce i had my 73 cuda, I just built a 340 high winder with a 6bbl setup, 4-spd and 3.91`s.A guy I ran with had a 69 nova -ss 350 4-spd w/411`s. I was with him and he smoked the local bad boy GTO. it was a 400 auto. The motor was biult by some big name racer guy in the area something KIRCHER.He was a pupil of Dan Girney the big chevy guru,but went out on his own into pontiacs.well the nova ate him 3 times. So one night we`re out messin around and I had to run my moms car somewhere so I had him follow me in the cuda.
After riding in my buddys blown 440 cuda I had low perspective on my setup. i thought it was kinda weak. And there was no way I could take jeffs nova.I saw him playin around in the rearview on the way over so later I asked him what he thought of that slow mopar? I was being serious. his eyes got real big and he says dude, there is no way my nova will beat that thing, It is so Ballsy. So with my chst inflated we took og=ff down the highway. I got into it big time. We were flyin. after a couple miles I look over and Jeff who is like 4`3 and 325lbs. was crammed down on the floor board cryin. He looked at me and yells shut it down shut it down I`ve had enough I thought he was gonna have a heart attack. He was scared crappless.you know he wouldnt ride with me for about a month after that.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Inactive User

Arrow my car sucks

okay i got a 86 t12.2 laser with a 3spd auto, it barely ran when i got it, vaccum lines were missing and it was only pushin bout3 lbs of boost at max, now my headlight swith stopped workin so i replaced it, and the new one barely works, any ways ive fixed every thing except that switch, but a month ago i took it to firebird rceway in phx az and im pushin 11 lbs of boost and next thin i know my engine locks up, headgasket didnt seal so i had coolant filling up my first cylyindetr, repalced headgasket sent head to forward motion and had it ported and cc matched and had stainless valves and new springs and retainers installed, put car back together and went back to the track, later that night after i was done at the track my car starts runnin weird so i get out and pop the hood, i find coolant leaking out of the number 3 and 1 spark plug holes and i smell something burning and notice a small fire under my turbo, so after pullin the engine apart agan i find a total of 3 cracks and the big one was sprayin oil onto the turbo wich caused it to ignite, duh. so replaced every thing and car is sluggish again, but now my car is parked and im pullin the engine and trans and im rebuilding everything. but i need interior plastics, id aprecciate it if someone could email me for suggestions or a site of a place that sells new oem plastic,

lookyatmejames17@yahoo.com:flip:
Old 09-17-2006, 04:56 AM
Inactive User

Default Do I have some tales to tell!!

This was a long time ago now, but my brother bought a 1964 GTO from our cousin. It was completely stock, with a 389 4 bbl, 4 spd, and a 3:56 diff. Bro was about 20 at the time, and he swapped the rear diff gears for a set of 4:56's. He never accounted for the difference that would make to his speedometer, however. So he and our mom head out to go visit one of our uncles, about 300 miles away, and then to our place. He was taking forever to get to our house, and when they finally got there, of course I asked him what the problem was. He says "I don't know, but I kept getting passed, and people were honking and waving their fists at us". I got him to follow me in my 67 GTX, and his speedo was registering about 110 mph, when I was doing 60 , so they had been doing about 45 mph the whole trip! I advised him to take it easy going home, and maybe think about putting the original gears back in. They left, and I get a phone call about an hour later, to please call a tow truck, and come and get them. He never took my advice, and he blew a rod through the block. Lesson learned
Old 10-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Inactive User

HAHA you bet i got a story.

In January the transmission in my truck took a dump and since i had never been into a O/D trans, and not having the time i started looking for people to rebuild it. After talking to a few who had work done by different people I settled on one mechanic that everybody you talked to had nothing but good stories about. The mechanic seemed like a real good guy at first just treating me like one of his kin, but in reality he turned out being nothing but a crooked, lying con-man.
After a week went by that "mechanic", if you can call him one, called and said the transmission was ready and to come and pick it up anytime i wanted to. I went and got it on a Friday evening and since it was cold as it was Dad and me decided to put the thing in the next weekend. That turned out being a mistake because on that monday that mechanic calls with some bullshit story that he'd left a clutch out by mistake and if it was ok he'd take it back and put that clutch in. Like a fool I agreed to let him come get it and another week later he brings one back that was nowhere even close to being the one he came and got, the electrical connections on the side of the case were'nt even close to being the same as my old one had, but after being told by a guy who worked at a big shop with a good name that it would work, we put it in. It worked fine the first 100 ft then started slipping real bad, actually a whole lot worse than what the transmission that came out of the truck originally did.
After pulling it back out me and Dad took it back to the "mechanic" and wound up getting in a big ass arguement with the guy over it, he actually had the balls to say far as the electrical connections went that we just didnt remember unhooking them and was mistaken about the whole thing. I never wanted to jump the bed of Dads truck and whip that guy so bad in my life but the thought of going to jail over it stopped me. I'm actually afraid to think about what I wouldve done to that guy just because of how pissed off i was.
We took him to court and won and still have'nt been able to get the money, $750 back (small claims court is useless)
After that I took the piece of junk that jack leg of a mechanic swapped mine for to the other mechanic i mentioned earlier and you shouldve seen that thing when we took the pan off, every clutch was burnt, there was hardly anything that wasnt busted in it and it was plum full of gravel, metal shavings and dried mud.

All i know for that crooked mechanic is he better like hot places, because after doing business like he does and hiding his lies behind the church hes going straight to hell.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Inactive User

I myself wrench on MoPars enough I tackle most things myself. But my Dad is a different story. He would always find some jackleg to do his work.
One particular episode was when Dad's Ford pickup needed an engine rebuild It was making a lower engine noise and oil pressure was less than great. He found a jack leg that worked out of his house (trailer) that was 'retired' from a mechanic job with the county maintaining fleet vehicles. He looked kind of young to me to be retired. Anyway the guy quoted my dad a price to rebuild the 400M that was in Dad's F250 he pulled his 5th wheel trailer with.
When we picked it up Dad paid him. We checked under the hood, look good, but I noticed it had been steam cleaned and spray bombed the correct Ford blue. The air cleaner was the wrong one. The factory air cleaner was missing and a crappy Mr. Gasket chrome one was in place. Well, there was no place for the PCV and air valve to hook up to that. I mentioned this to jack leg and he said he must have left it with someone he bought some parts from. He told me I could go by there and pick it up.
We went to the guys business. He was a guy running a small machine shop and sold complete engines also. We told him we needed to pick up the air cleaner that Jack leg left and he looked kind of puzzled. Then he said "OH, from the core engine. Gotcha".
"Core engine?" We inquired.
He said "Yeah, he purchased a used 400M from me. It was running fine but had some miles on it."
We follow him back to where the rebuildable cores were and there sets our original engine.
Dad flipped. He got jack leg on the phone and an argument insued. Jack leg claimed that he didn't say he would rebuild the engine, just "fix" the problem the best way. And if he did a rebuild he would have cost twice as much.
That was NOT the agreement but there was nothing we could really do because we didn't have anything in writing. The most we could do was go over and take it out of his a$$. Not worth it. We got our air cleaner and intalled it. It did seem to run ok so there was no real problems at first.
The first trip Dad took with a good size load on the trailer the thing slung a rod. Dad junked the truck after that.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Inactive User

Looks like the jack legs me and your daddy dealt with went to the same school Dr.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

Hey Custom880, Good to see you back man.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM1500
Looks like the jack legs me and your daddy dealt with went to the same school Dr.
Yeah, if he would have purchased a Dodge pickup I would have done the wrenching for him. I know nothing about Fords but I did have a few buddies that ran Mustangs and listened to them bitch about what a POS Ford engines were.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Inactive User

Laugh

When I was about 16 my brother bought a 71 Satellite with a 318 in it and a dual quad Offy intake. Got it for a couple hundred bucks because it wasn't running well. Took off the intake and put on a four barrell, still ran like crap. Checked the plug wires, they were miss routed, so we switched them, wouldn't run at all. Pulled the timing cover and the cam was installed 180 off!
The guy somehow had all the spark plug wires switched and it acctually ran. Also the motor mount bolts were all loose.
And the best part, when we picked up the car the guy said he unhooked the front carb linkage because it had too much power to handle with dual quads.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Inactive User

Default cheap harley

Bought a harley with a wrist pin hammer and pulled it apart to find a 10 over piston in a bore 6 thousandths too small. Honed the bore 6 thousandths installed a new 10 piston and rings had a nice harley for 1500 bucks.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Inactive User

In 1991 I had a guy work on my brakes. He worked out of his home but he had his garage specially built for a mechanic. He talked a good talk so I had him do the work.His initial examination revealed that I only needed pads.Next day I needed cylinders.Next day I needed a master cylinder.Next day he needed to pull the rear axle. $400.00 later I got my car back.With every additional repair he told me that he would have to charge me $80.00 to tow my car back on his dolley if I didn't approve the repairs. At some point I asked him to inspect and replace the front brake hoses if they needed it since they were probably original from '67.
Guess what failed 6 months later when my wife rear ended a late model T-Bird?
Old 03-25-2007, 10:38 PM

Well, I'm back again, didn't expect to be here but oh well...
I had a transmission fluid leak on my 2000 GC minivan, I'd had the signal box at the front of the transaxle changed due to slight leakage and thought that maybe the dealership had left something loose. Well, about that time the big snow hit in the middle of February, then the kids got sick, then it was my turn and finally today was the first day the combination of good weather and normal health fell in my favor to work on it. Good thing I had my Diesel Ram to fall back on.
Sad thing is though, the only thing wrong was the mechanic who changed my fluid hoses left the clamps loose about 1 and a half turns!!!
Something as simple as that could have smoked the transaxle, especially if the minivan had been owned by someone alot less likely to keep an eye on the fluids than myself. Of course, the minivan would have been blamed cause mopar transaxles are notoriously bad, nod nod wink wink.
It's crap like this that makes me hate it when I let someone else mess with my vehicles, I ALWAYS find something left either loose or boogered up somehow.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:59 AM
Inactive User

Gripe

I have that problem every time someone works on my motorcycle.Literally every time.When I get the bike back I have to check all the nuts and bolts.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Inactive User

Default Failure to Adjust

A friend of mine decided to change a power brake booster on a 89 Firebird Beater....After a lot of cussing and thrown wrenches (big temper) manage to get the new one in.....put the master on.....then proceed to drive the car like no BRAKE work was done...well needless to say the car ended up in the woods....he had failed to adjust the pushrod length...after closer examination the pushrod wasn't any where near the master.....Lesson Learned
Old 07-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Well, I'm back here again. My daughter had a friend come to visit from New Jersey. I volunteered to take them back, on the return trip I noticed a vibration so I had the local mechanic throw a couple of U-joints in my Diesel Ram.
I figured simple job, he should be able to handle it.
Nope. After I got back out on the road and up to speed and it had a vibration, sad to say. I was already on the road and drove it the entire trip to New Jersey and back, an approximately 1200 mile round trip. I pulled the shaft out when I got home, noticed it wasn't right, had been hammered on pretty severely and ordered a replacement assembly from Chrysler.
He made the typical mistake of having one roller out of place, then forced it all together, I'm getting the original shaft checked out at a driveshaft shop then going to keep it for a spare.
New one goes in, smooth as silk again.
Also, found the oil filter was loose, which explained why my formerly no trouble truck had started using oil, glad I noticed the drips on the undercarriage and check the oil every fill up, regardless!
Thanks, oil change guys!
I'm starting to get scared to let anyone else touch my stuff, I can't wait until I get my garage remodeling done so my truck will finally fit inside and I can work on it setting on a concrete floor with a roof over my head , instead of outside, out in the weather, in the gravel!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga View Post
New one goes in, smooth as silk again.
Also, found the oil filter was loose, which explained why my formerly no trouble truck had started using oil, glad I noticed the drips on the undercarriage and check the oil every fill up, regardless!
Thanks, oil change guys!
I'm starting to get scared to let anyone else touch my stuff,
I quit taking my vehicles to mechanics a LONG time ago. And I plead with my friends and relatives to stay away from the Jiffy Lube and Walmart service centers. Pay the minimum, get minimum result.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
Pay the minimum, get minimum result.
Amen on that! I've only used the oil change places so I don't have to fool with storing and recycling the oil. Also, I do the single parent gig and still have a couple of years before the kids are out of school and I have more time to look after cars than I do now.
Still, I'm going to raise some heck next time round at the oil change place...
Old 07-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Inactive User

Have a buddy that use to manage a Wal-mart service center. Wal-mart refuses to pay anybody but managment a descent wage. So the people doing the labor are all minimum wagers. Huge turnover, and very sloppy work. He told me they have to replace several engines a year because of doofus mistakes like cross threading an oil filter or not tightening them on. Also things like forgetting to torque wheels back on the car. I wouldn't take a bicycle to Wal-mart for service.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Inactive User

Default Continuing sad tale (please, God, let her sell the thing.)

23-year-old daughter inherits a '66 Valiant 200 4-door. For some insane reason (possibly genetic) she falls in love with her "antique". Even gets antique plates on it.

What noone knew was that the radiator leaked, contributing to overheating; the distributor was so badly worn that the best it could be set was 25 deg. advance (which is where it was); everywhere there was supposed to be a particular bolt/nut/washer combo had been cobbled up so badly I found where the stud was too long so had a larger nut and several washers installed to take up the slack. Short example of a long list of bugaboos.

So she drives it, it gets hot, with that timing it burns holes in two pistons.
Phone call; "Dad, can you come get my car and fix it? It won't run any more."

Take the Suburban the two hundred miles from country Alabama to Atlanta suburbs, rent a flatbed trailer, tow the thing back to country Alabama.

Pull the hood off, buy a car cover to keep out the rain and begin looking at the mess under the hood.

Can't see the piston damage of course, but the rest of it looks like some ten-year-old kid had borrowed his dad's wrenches and had a ball.

Pull the head (those danged \6 heads are heavy, folks!) with a borrowed stinger and begin a tearful reconnaisance of the innards. Worse even than I had expected. Two and four have holes burned through the tops of the pistons and melted aluminum on the piston walls. Lordy, Lordy, Lordy.

Eventually get the engine loose from all the jack-leg-abortion fasteners and pull it with the borrowed stinger. Take it to a known reliable rebuild shop along with the separate head and wait a week.

$1200 later I get it back with new pistons .060 over, rods and mains .020 over; much better than I had expected. Everything new except the pushrods, rockers and valve seats which inexplicably had already been replaced with hardened, and were in decent shape for regrind touchup.

If you've never worked on a \6 you probably don't know that the exhaust and intake manifolds are both on the driver's side of the block and joined together with four bolts; the washers connecting the manifolds to the heads are special triangle-shaped and conical with hollowed backs where they touch the manifolds. Said arrangement because the manifolds are so long (expecially the exhaust) that they have to "slide" a little bit on these washers for thermal expansion/contraction lest they crack. Have to use a special copper anti-seize on the danged things so allow the sliding while maintaining the precise 10-ft.lb. of torque.

Think there were any of those washers on the manifolds? Silly! Had to locate them at a MOPAR warehouse far, far away and wait while they arrived. How the exhaust manifold survived the mess without cracking is a source of wonder and thanksgiving to me.

At any rate, and after a much too long post here, I replaced the distributor, the carburetor and was even able to clean up the exhaust-manifold heat riser and spring and a heavenly poster on slantsix.com mailed me the manifold-mounted choke, both of which still work.

Not to mention rewiring the ignition circuits and installing a ballast resistor and voltage regulator and a full-page (and expensive) list of items too long to itemize here.

Woe is me. Please, God, help her to sell the poor thing. There's just too much to go wrong on a 40-year-old badly-maintained Valiant.

Sam Fox
Old 10-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Inactive User

Default Continuing sad tale (please, God, let her sell the thing.)

23-year-old daughter inherits a '66 Valiant 200 4-door. For some insane reason (possibly genetic) she falls in love with her "antique". Even gets antique plates on it.

What noone knew was that the radiator leaked, contributing to overheating; the distributor was so badly worn that the best it could be set was 25 deg. advance (which is where it was); everywhere there was supposed to be a particular bolt/nut/washer combo had been cobbled up so badly I found where the stud was too long so had a larger nut and several washers installed to take up the slack. Short example of a long list of bugaboos.

So she drives it, it gets hot, with that timing it burns holes in two pistons.
Phone call; "Dad, can you come get my car and fix it? It won't run any more."

Take the Suburban the two hundred miles from country Alabama to Atlanta suburbs, rent a flatbed trailer, tow the thing back to country Alabama.

Pull the hood off, buy a car cover to keep out the rain and begin looking at the mess under the hood.

Can't see the piston damage of course, but the rest of it looks like some ten-year-old kid had borrowed his dad's wrenches and had a ball.

Pull the head (those danged \6 heads are heavy, folks!) with a borrowed stinger and begin a tearful reconnaisance of the innards. Worse even than I had expected. Two and four have holes burned through the tops of the pistons and melted aluminum on the piston walls. Lordy, Lordy, Lordy.

Eventually get the engine loose from all the jack-leg-abortion fasteners and pull it with the borrowed stinger. Take it to a known reliable rebuild shop along with the separate head and wait a week.

$1200 later I get it back with new pistons .060 over, rods and mains .020 over; much better than I had expected. Everything new except the pushrods, rockers and valve seats which inexplicably had already been replaced with hardened, and were in decent shape for regrind touchup.

If you've never worked on a \6 you probably don't know that the exhaust and intake manifolds are both on the driver's side of the block and joined together with four bolts; the washers connecting the manifolds to the heads are special triangle-shaped and conical with hollowed backs where they touch the manifolds. Said arrangement because the manifolds are so long (expecially the exhaust) that they have to "slide" a little bit on these washers for thermal expansion/contraction lest they crack. Have to use a special copper anti-seize on the danged things to allow the sliding while maintaining the precise 10-ft.lb. of torque.

Think there were any of those washers on the manifolds? Silly! Had to locate them at a MOPAR warehouse far, far away and wait while they arrived. How the exhaust manifold survived the mess without cracking is a source of wonder and thanksgiving to me.

At any rate, and after a much too long post here, I replaced the distributor, the carburetor and was even able to clean up the exhaust-manifold heat riser and spring and a heavenly poster on slantsix.com mailed me the manifold-mounted choke, both of which still work.

Not to mention rewiring the ignition circuits and installing a ballast resistor and voltage regulator and a full-page (and expensive) list of items too long to itemize here.

Woe is me. Please, God, help her to sell the poor thing. There's just too much to go wrong on a 40-year-old badly-maintained Valiant.

Sam Fox
Old 12-01-2007, 03:58 AM
Inactive User

A guy I work with told me a story of the times back when gasoline stations
where "full service". The kid would come out and fill up the tank, wash the
windows, check the oil, etc., and for good measure, would give the wing nut
on the air cleaner a single twist. This ritual went on reguarly, until one day
the guy's car wouldn't start. Looking under the hood, he noticed that the lid
on the air cleaner was tightened down so hard, that the carburetor couldn't
pull any air! So after loostening the thing back up, he made sure and let the
manager at the gas station know about it.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Inactive User

haha one winter i was working on my polaris indy 600xlt when i over torqued off the head on an inspection bolt running to the crank case, 3 hrs later after removing the engine, turbo assembly and everything else i finnaly removed the rest of the bolt....
Old 12-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Inactive User

Ouch. I feel for you.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Inactive User

Had a friend several years ago in Shelbyville take his old Datsun wagon to a shop to get the tires rotated and balanced. When they told him it was ready, he pulled out onto Jackson St. and two of the wheels fell off. They had stripped all four lugs on both the front and rear passenger side of the car and never mentioned it to him. Needless to say, a lawyer was mentioned and they fixed the car for him free of charge. I'm sure DWC knows the shop mentioned here.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:10 AM
Inactive User

94 magnum v6 dakota ext cab short bed story.

heres my story. on my route to take my trash to the dump i seen this real nice dodge dakota pickup setting under a tree at this guys house didnt think to much about it besides nice truck. about 6 months later its still in the same spot i deceided to see if they wanted to sell it or not after about two weeks of trying to get with the guy who owned it he told me the trans was out and needed a rebuild but instead of rebuilding it he bought a new truck and just let this one sit after some more talking he said he would let me have it for 400.00 dollars i thought great deal we put a hot battery in itand try to start it it wound not start for nothing both of us confused he let me have the truck for 250.00 i told him i would come and pick it up in a week or so when i found someone to help me pull it. in the meantime i got new plugs coil gas and put on the truck me and my buddy tried to fire it off and it tried but nada. after a few more tries i said lets try the ether if it runs great if not well put a small block in it. a couple sprays it trys to start a backfire later it runs but slow and this annoying whistle from exaust.we cut the converter put a straight pipe where the converter was and it ran perfect. we thought what the heck try the trans an it shifted perfect too. all was wrong with the truck was the converter was messed up. 52.00 part and we welded it back on the truck drove perfect even had ice cold air. thats my story.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Inactive User

nice that story sort of sounds like the newport i boutght for my motor..the car was parked in 82 (what the plates said) and we tried to fire her with a new batterie she wanted to go but wouldnt we spent 2 nights too finnally decde to cut the exhaust right below the manifolds a couple cranks more and she fired right up! the engine ran rock steady! it was worth the 400 bucks!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Inactive User

Around 15 yrs ago, my friend & I were driving his 64' Dart w/225 from the Bay area to Fresno via I-5 (in Ca.) late at night. Well, anyone whose ever driven that stretch of interstate knows how unpopulated that area is... so we're driving along & the exhaust note gets progressively louder, so being young the young kids that we were, said "f*ck it, lets just get there already!". Well, after awhile of that we decided it was best to pull over & investigate that noise. The exhaust pipe flange where it meets the manifold on the 225, had cracked loose from the exhaust pipe! So, in a moment of enlightenment- largely brought on by the consumption of many Milwaukee's Best along the journey, we looked in the back seat where we had our work uniforms, and snatched one of the wire coat hangers. We rigged up the exhaust pipe to the manifold with the wire, mainly to keep the pipe from bangin' around & got back on the road only to wake up with a severe hangover from all the road beers & exhaust fumes we had inhaled the night before. Lotsa other tales like this, but this is the only one I can (almost) fully remember & put on here without gettin banned! ha ha
Old 05-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Inactive User

When I was about 8 I told my Mom I would "clean up" her 76 Valiant. I decided it needed an oil change, but by the time I got an entire quart to go in the dipstick hole with a paper-cone filter I made I gave up on that! (Lucky too, cause I didn't know to drain it first...). Then I was fooling around inside and knocked the Gear indicator off the column-mounted dial. When she drove it next she wondered aloud what happened and I just stayed quite in the back....I think she knew!
Old 05-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Inactive User

I`ve been a mechanic nearly all my adult life and generally only associate with like kind people in the automotive world one way or another. I have learned over the years to always keep a couple thousand bucks laying around for the times when opportunity knocks. One day I was out in the drive way washing my hot rod at the time, when a friend showed up. My friend started telling me about a guy that had just put a new Jasper small block in a 68 chevelle and blew it up trying to get it started. For a second I was brain locked trying to figure out how some one could possibly do that. When the very next words out of my friends mouth was the car is for sale fo 250.00 bucks. I ask him if he had any interest in the car, "yes" he said but no funds. I ask if he would be bothered if I was to maybe buy it. "No" the friend says. Honesty people do you have any idea how many wild goose chases I have been on over the years, and I fully expected this to be one, anyhow More than I can count. So off we go to the fellers house and sure enough here sits a beautifly 1968 black on black 2 door hard top chevelle sporting chrome reverse wheels and baby moon hub caps, bucket seats. My friend introduced me to his friend. I find out that this guys parents had funded the whole chevelly project, they had bought it with a blown engine cheap. They had then bought him a new Jasper rebuilt 350 motor which they installed them selves. I ask the feller what went wrong and he explained. I ask if he was sure he wanted to sell it and if he had a clear title, yup to everthing. So I pay him and he even helps me tow it home. I wait till he leaves and pop the hood. lets see, 18436572 yup all in order. I bring it p on tdc and pull the dist. cap, yup 180 degrees out. I pop the dist. and turn the rotor bug 180 and sinch everything down and it fired the first time I crank it. I had it running before he could drive the 8 or 10 blocks back home. The only thing wrong was the timing. I gave it to my wife. I felt bad for about 2 minutes but realized someone would have got that car it might as well be me.