Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-14-2005, 12:55 AM
Inactive User

Default Windshield wiper problems

On our 72 Cuda, almost finished with the 3 year restore. Trying to get the wipers to work for inspection.

According to the pictures in the tech manual a 2 speed wiper motor has the motor sticking straight out from the firewall and the 3 speed motor has the motor sitting at a right angle (from sticking straight out.) My wiper motor clearly looks like it should be the 3 speed unit.

But my wiper switch (Ralley dash) seems to only have 3 positions (as in off, low and high?) I have taken the switch totally apart, cleaned the internal contacts, and tested with an ohmeter that all seems ok.

The wipers run intermittently and very wierd. Have not seen them park themselves.

Is this because it seems that I have a 3 speed motor but a switch for a 2 speed motor? If this is the case, some "jackleg" before me must have done it.

Or any other other ideas? I want to get an safety inspection sticker tomorrow.

Tim
Old 05-14-2005, 02:14 AM

I would replace that switch with the correct one.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Inactive User

Idea 2 versus 3 speed switches

Ed, I am with you.

But before I try to buy a 3 speed switch, I want to make real sure I don't already have a 3 speed switch.

Is it correct that the wiring harness (connector to the switch) is the same regardless of 2 speed or 3 speed switch?

I assume that a 3 speed switch might look very similar to a 2 speed switch?

I assume that a 3 speed switch has 4 positions? off, low, med, high

I assume that a 2 speed switch has 3 positions? off, low, high?

I am think that I really do have a 3 speed switch, but when I rebuilt it I did something wrong and it won't physically move into the fourth position?

Is there another way to LOOK at the outside of the switch and tell if it is 2 or 3 speed?

Tim
Old 05-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Inactive User

What are the part numbers on the switch and the motor?
Old 05-14-2005, 02:01 PM

I assume that a 3 speed switch might look very similar to a 2 speed switch?

From the front, it looks the exact same.

I assume that a 3 speed switch has 4 positions? off, low, med, high

I forget now. I believe that it is off, low, variable, and high.

I assume that a 2 speed switch has 3 positions? off, low, high?

correct

I am think that I really do have a 3 speed switch, but when I rebuilt it I did something wrong and it won't physically move into the fourth position?

Hard to say

Is there another way to LOOK at the outside of the switch and tell if it is 2 or 3 speed?

On the back of the switch, there is a part number. If you can find someon with part number information, you've got your answer. I do believe that the 3 speed switch had a fat, rectangular resistor on the side of it. The 2 speed switch did not have this resistor.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:49 AM
Inactive User

Default 2 Speed Motor, With Concealed

Ed and Pink, the windshield wiper switch I have has numbers:

I have torn this switch apart again, and determined that I had it correct. I also compared it to the tech manual; I have concluded that this switch compares well to the manual for "two speed motor, WITH concealed wipers".

This switch is significantly different from "two speed motor, without concealed wipers."

I hope your resource of many numbers can confirm this.

I don't have the number off the motor yet, but I have gathered from the tech manual that there are 3 different motors:

A) there is a two speed motor, without concealed wipers motor sticks out from firewall. Manual has a picture.

B) there is a 3 speed (or variable speed) motor. Motor lays up against the firewall. Manual has a picture.

C) there is a two speed motor, WITH concealed wipers. Manual does NOT have a picture, but the little bit of text about this motor makes it sound like it is very similar to the B) above motor. (My motor looks like B) above motor.)

Does anyone know for sure that they have a 2 speed motor, WITH concealed wipers? and does it look like the 3 speed motor?

Tim
Old 05-15-2005, 03:19 AM
Inactive User

The two speed wipers look alike, whether reversing/concealed or not. The way to tell the difference is usually to look at the four terminals on the ceramic terminal block that is one the motor. The terminals on the block will either have one or two of the four terminals in brass. One brass terminal is a reversing motor while the two brass is a non reversing. Attached is a picture of the motors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 spped wipers.jpg (16.7 KB, 15 views)