Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 PM

Unhappy Torn

In these trying times in our country, the fate of Chrysler seems to be hanging by a thread. Mercedes wrung out Chrysler like an old dish rag & squeezed every nickel they could get, then kicked them to the curb. The Obama administration wants to save Chrysler for their own selfish reasons, to apease the unions & keep the members voting for the Dems (& Obama himself in his 2nd term) As sad as this is, Fiat seems to be the only saviour in this mess.
Part of me wants Chrysler to survive at any cost another part of me doesn't want to see the company run by the govt. & the union goons.
I guess the best hope is Fiat. Maybe some of the real Chrysler will survive and some day they will be spun off into a real American car company again. What are your thoughts?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 PM

Unhappy

Today, the government said the Fiat deal could proceed. Chrysler gets a second chance.

Unfortunately, today they also said the 789 dealers on the list for closing would no longer represent Chrysler, effective immediately.

Sadly, the dealer I bought the PT from, Carlsons Motor Sales, in Concord, NH, was on that list. They only sold Chryslers and were therefore in the dead pool.

They are a family business that has been around for several generations.

Hopefully, the thinning of the dealer herd will prove advantageous. If not, it won't make any difference if Chrysler fails once and for all.

Strangely enough, today I had to testify at a trial. I was getting dressed for court, and I wore my Chrysler Pentastar tie pin that was given to me in 1963, when I had an interview with the Plant Manager at Chrysler, Indianapolis. They were just beginning to use the new Pentastar logo on the cars and the building was having new signs put up, along with repainting the water tower.

My tie pin is still serving me well, some 46 years later... .
Old 06-09-2009, 11:36 PM

Allowing this Obama inspired (forced) marriage will prevent 30,000+ people from loosing their jobs. Other than that, this is the thing that nightmares are made of. Chrysler will never be the same. The Chrysler that we knew and loved has passed on and will be missed.

Make way for the Obama/FIAT inspired econ crap boxes.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Inactive User

Default As much as I

hate unions, and what they have done to American car makers, one very good side to this new ownership situation is that the union is now directly responsible for the health care financing of it's members. Now they can find the true cost of "Free" health care. The other is that Chrysler will no longer be beholden to Obama, when they leave bankruptcy.
I believe that Chrysler will become a very competitive car builder. If you look at models in the pipeline, like the 200C, the direct injection four cylinder, the two passenger coupe/roadster, things aren't so bleak.
The Journey and Nitro are knockoput hits, the Jeep line is solid, and the 300 is still a very popular car. The new 1/2 tons are selling well, and if it still happens, the new Cummins in them next year will be revolutionary.
Of course, I am the original eternal optimist. Once you have worked for such a great company, it' gets into your blood.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:26 PM

The US government will hold a 10% share of the new company. The new company will also receive more government money. With that money comes concessions that they must bow to the whims of the auto czar (the Obama administration).

For the future vehicles, you are talking about what the Cerberus Chrysler had projected. Until the dust settles, that projection means nothing.

Chrysler is no longer a great company. Obama and FIAT are going to finish what Daimler started.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:35 AM
Inactive User

Ed, I can sympathize with you, but Fiat is quite an innovative company. They own Lancia, Alfa-Romeo, Masseratti and Ferrari. There's some world class automotive engineerring in that bunch. How would you like a 2.6L V-8 that makes over 300HP? Available now in the Alfa Spyder. I know Fiat wants to build econo-boxes here, and be able to sell their semis and Class 5 trucks here too. I well rememeber the weeping and wailing when Fiat bought Alfa and Masseratti, but Fiat managment has let them go their own ways, and keep building what they were known for. Fiat is an extreamly flexible company. They build plants in countries that won't economically allow Fiat to export cars into. They can also shift model production faster than any company on earth. Maybe that kind of thinking is needed right now.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:09 PM

Alfa and Masseratti weren't that great to begin with. So, FIAT buying them could only be an improvement.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:02 AM

As long as Chrysler is still alive, I'll keep buying. Fiat has had a heck of a time getting back into the US market, this helps them finally clear that hurdle. Unlike Benz, I expect (and hope!) they know the true value of what they have.
One final thing, I hope someone takes the time to look at whatever right Daimler Benz has to sell in the US market and either take that right away or limit it severely. Some may think that too harsh, but we should make examples of foreign nationals who damage US manufacturing capacity and the economy. If a USSR or Chinese company had done the same to Boeing or several other manufacturers, I expect alarm bills would have been ringing everywhere, they should have been just as concerned about that fraud of a "merger".
It is aggravating though, the US beat the Axis powers, then the following generations have given it all away....
Old 06-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Inactive User

Ed, my '76 Massi would blow-away a 340 6-pack Cuda in the quarter and put 90MPH on it's top speed with any axle Chrysler sold with a 4935cc V-8 with four valves per cylinder and four little dual Weber's. The 1800cc direct injected Alfa topped out at 163 MPH. Keeping the Weber's synced wasn't much worst than keeping six-packs or the 3-dueces on a Pontiac synced. I had the cash to splash back then, and the Massi Saloon cost more than the house I own. A new Masseratti Saloon about equal to mine starts at $138,000 and goes way up depending on the interior fabrics you choose and the amount of interior trim you like. Lots of Rosewood=lots of $$$. You can buy 1 1/2 Challenger SRT's for the price of the new 2.6L V-8 Alfa-Romeo Spyder. The SRT will out 1/4 mile it easily. In a mile all you'll see is a small speck of the Alfa that passed you at 181 MPH. The new Challengers handle quite well, but on Arkanasas #23 south from US 62 to Hot Springs, the Alfa will get there 20-30 minutes earlier than the Challenger, without ever breaking the posted speed limits. It goes fast by never needing to slow down. Alfa Spyders are almost totally "useless" cars. Two seat convertibles (noisey, not cool in the summer with the A/C on full, heater will run you OUT in winter) a tiny "boot" (trunk) you can lay 5-6 grocery sacks on their sides in (maybe), you look up at "Smarts", they're hard to get in and out of if you're over 30, but they have been one of the "benchmark" sportscars since the 1958 model, which today's is just a much improved and modified version of. The body styling hasn't really changed since 1970 when they took the "heart-shaped" grill off. So much for "styling selling cars". Ed, you have to re-learn most of what you know about driving when you climb into an Italian car. You certainly do when you drive a Porche! They are different, not bad or good. Amuracun's have always had trouble driving many brands of European cars...they don't understand how to drive them, and the owner's manuals are usually written in "British-style" English which has never helped.(Stranglers, sparking plugs, dynamos, timing rotors, rev's counters and more "quiant" expressions.) Maybe Fiat can give Chrysler a new "K car" for the bottom end of the market.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Fiat (& their brands) have a great heritage, lets just hope they (Fiat) realize that Chrysler & it's brands have a rich heritage too. Mercedes didn't, one of the first things they did was to kill off Plymouth. Had Mercedes not raped Chrysler they would be like Ford is now, hurting but not bankrupt like GM.
Daimler Benz (Hitlers favorite car company) belongs in bankruptcy not Chrysler.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Inactive User

Default Walkercolt

Said it for me. Would I like the option of buying an Alfa roadster? You bet your soul I would. Remember the Maserati/Chrysler TC? Great body, but engines by Chrysler that could not keep their heads about them! When in Italy several years back, I got a ride in an Alfa sedan, from Milan to Tortona. Sustained 200 KPH and not a whisper.
Bring it on!