Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:56 PM

Gripe It's deer hitting season again, watch it!!

I was on a late night nacho run and even though I knew to look for them, got one anyway! This one came running out, had his head down like he was going to duck somehow and ran dead smack into the passenger side fender on my minivan. This is the 2nd time that fender has gotten hit, so I think I'll be replacing it instead of repairing it. Glad I have a spare!
At least it didn't break any lights and the door still opens without catching the fender.
As usual, even though I was slowed down and looking, he popped out so quick there was no time to react. Damn walking stupidity on hooves anyway!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Inactive User

Did You shed a tear for the poor deer? Dave
Old 09-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Inactive User

Ok, Ok, I GOTTA ask.....

"didn't you hear it's horns?"

::::::: Ducking to avoid the shots from his 12 gauge::::::

Yea, my ex didn't think it was funny either when I asked her after she hit one about St Albans
Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 AM

Nah, not one tear. I didn't ask him to come running out into my vehicle.
I just wish they wouldn't do that "something is after me, must run faster!!" thing, or at least do it once they are pointed in the other direction.
Lessee, this is twice on the minivan, one big shot on my Breeze which required a new hood and fender, once into the side of my old blue 89 Ram and once into my Diesel Ram, though that time luckily I saw him coming and got on the brakes hard enough he just bounced off the bumper cover.
The sad thing is, I managed to never hit one for years until I snagged that deer with my Breeze in 97. Lots and lots of close calls, almost all from August thru January. I swear, it's like they speak that dialect the sheep did in that Babe movie.
Except Bah Ram You, means dive into the closest vehicle you can find!!!
Buck? Nope, didn't hear a thing until WHAM!!! then a kerthump when he swung around and hit the door too.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Inactive User

Well, what ever you do, don't buy those stupid "deer whistles" or what ever they're calling them now. The Georgia Farm Bureau has a fleet of a few hundred cars, and after studying the effectiveness of those things have ordered them all removed, immediately. It seems that the incident of striking a deer increased with the installation of those anti-deer whistles that you put inside the grill of your car. So no more "deer whistles" on fleet vehicles in Georgia. Most other fleet owners in the state followed suit, and issued memos barring their installation.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:34 PM

Last deer whistles I had were on my 86 Reliant. Unfortunately, they got wiped off when I loaned it to a friend and he drove it into the back of a truck.
I can't blame the deer for that one!!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Inactive User

I know I was always nervous going up I 79 at dusk, dang deer would be standing in the median by the hundreds, grazing, and just look up at you as you went by. 5 ft away, and the horn never bothered them. That's a time I would always slow down.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 AM

You should be, do you remember the Conan movie where Thulsa Doom beckons to the young girl up on a platform, saying "come here child" and she jumps to her doom?
All those deer have the same look in their eyes as she did...
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Inactive User

Default Back when

We lived south of Flagstaff, I was a fire department board member. Our department responded to as many a six elk vs. vehicle crashes per day. The one I'll never forget, was when the elk's head went through the passenger side window, detached from the neck, and landed in front of the driver, between the windshield and steering wheel. It's liver ended up in the back seat.
We took the driver to the hospital in shock.
The number of deer/elk vehicle crashes in Northern AZ and Montana is staggering.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:10 PM

Ewww, I've seen a few similar pics on the "net". Closest one for me was in my Breeze, not counting the one I did hit. A friend of mine was riding with me back to the house and had 3 come right out in front of the road. Somehow they all jumped and cleared my car, but the funny thing was the last deer was jetting out a string of turds as he went over! Nothing touched the car though, he was rocket propelled! It was one of those moments where we looked at each other for a second, then bust out laughing, I still wish I had a picture! Glad I missed him though, the laughing stops when you actually hit them.