Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Inactive User

Default 2010 Daytona?

Here's a cool idea coming into reality from the guys at HPP- check it out!

"HPP (Heide Performance Products) is a newly founded company that is dedicated to bringing fun, style, and a new level of individuality to the Automobile Market. Our approach is to intensify the owner’s vehicle experience through tasteful modifications, all while maintaining the heritage and theme of the base product.

HPP’s first full vehicle concept is the Dodge Daytona, which is based on the Dodge Challenger.

Early in 2009, during a meeting with Mopar Officials, there was discussion of the old glory and historically significant Chrysler Vehicles of the past. After a lot of discussion the question was asked – “hey, can you take a Charger / Challenger and make a Superbird out of it, updated of course”. Wild idea we all thought, but HPP was up to the challenge!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona1sm.jpg (28.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Inactive User

There's more pics at their site: hppcars.com
Old 10-20-2009, 08:22 PM

I think that I got a little throw up in my mouth.

I'm sorry, but the Daytona was based off of the Charger 500. What they are doing is almost as bad as putting 4 doors on a Charger.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Inactive User

Awesome!!!! I like it!!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:12 PM

I don't know if anyone else has seen these, but the AMT-MPC 71 GTX kit had a Daytona like option, though it may have been better to call it a Superbird. Rumor has it that it was based on an actual Mopar prototype that was cancelled after Nascar banned it, in typical fashion. There was a supposed Daytona prototype version built on the 71-74 style Charger body, also canceled.
With that nose and wing on the current Challenger body, it looks kind of like that old model kit custom option. Not my cup of tea, but it isn't exactly unappealing and would make a neat option along the lines of the SRT-8.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Inactive User

Not bad. I already like the body line of the Challenger, and the nose cone flows well with it. I'm a bit disappointed with the wing: it needs to be updated as it ressembles the original one too much. How about chopping it about 8", and maybe incorporating a retraction system that operates based on speed like the spoilers on those fancy German cars?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Inactive User

They've added color to it--check out the site for more. The pics dont do it justice, in person it really is pretty impressive
Old 10-23-2009, 10:58 AM

This smacks of advertising, which is not allowed. A new member with the same screen name as the subject looks very suspicious.

So, Mr. New Daytona, are you in any way connected with this enterprise?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Inactive User

I do know the guys building this and since I thought it was cool and they are busting there rears to do this project, I thought I would let people know about it. But I am not receiving any money. services or goods for this post so no..I am not advertising. I had to create a screen name ...so I chose the topic since I think its a cool project.

Again, I like the project, like the guys doing it, and am just trying to get word out, and see what reaction/comments/interest there is for it.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

looks cool
My buddy and I a few years ago sent a proposal to Chrysler for a sema 2005 car, a modified Charger, a 2 door with the pointy nose. Chrysler rejected it and a few other 2 door versions, it appears they didnt like the 2 door idea in 2005...It also turns out that Apparently the Auto manufacturers consider the front grill sacred and don't like people messing with it too much...the pointy nose.....well lets just say our bid, rejected.
Funny we had another friend who has won lots of Sema awards (for Chrysler and Gm), who also had a 2 door version rejected.
it turns out a privateer (not sponsored by Chrysler) that year, West Coast Customs(of "Pimp My Ride" fame), car that year, was a 2door version won the Chrysler award...kinda funny that Chrysler rejected supporting a 2door version, then awarded a 2door version its highest acclimation.
im not bitter, really
Old 10-25-2009, 04:39 AM

"kinda funny that Chrysler rejected supporting a 2door version, then awarded a 2door version its highest acclimation. "

Well, I expect dealing with Chrysler the last decade or so has been like dealing with a schizophrenic! You have old Chrysler, Daimler Chrysler, Cereberus Chrysler and now New or Fiat Chrysler. You get the wrong set of monkeys in suits and it's nothing but shenanigans after that!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

http://www.hppcars.com/Gallery/Dayto...ment/index.htm
I commend your work to build the car, its ALOT of work...but a few notable points.
from the pictures above, the read wing looks like a "stick on" that is the wing is mounted to the rear quarter panel NOT the frame...

the rear diffuser looks bogus, like its not functional or you guys dont know how a rear diffuser works..

I could be wrong, but probably not....
Old 10-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Inactive User

I put a design into Daimler Chrysler for a similar design (for the Charger) and it was also rejected. The concept is good, but the proportions are wrong. IMO, the wing is accurate to the original (which I like) but it is too tall (I wonder if the trunk was too tall and they needed to raise the height to clear the trunk lid). The original wings were fully adjustable. I have several friends who own Superbird's and Daytona's.

The rear diffusers look totally bogus and I wish that they had invested the design time into making a function under body diffuser. I have to hand it to these guys for fabricating this in metal. It would have been easier and lighter if they had done this in carbon fiber or composite. This car is already a pig and needs to lose weight (badly).

I come from a prepreg carbon fiber composite background and wish these guys luck in selling this conversion kit.

Brad
Old 11-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Inactive User

I can understand someone liking this or not, what I can't understand is the hostility of some....