Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-28-1999, 03:19 AM
Inactive User

I read in a magazine that DC has killed of the Plymouth Line in canada. Is this true? Or was I misinformed?
Old 09-28-1999, 03:32 AM
Inactive User

I've heard rumors of this also,but a "friend" wont confirm this for me.I've heard also that the only reason Plymouth is still alive now is because of the Prowler and that the Plymouth Breeze outsells the Dodge Stratus.
Old 09-28-1999, 04:42 AM
Inactive User

I have heard more serious rumors that say Plymouth in general is dying. Several things that have come out of the factory in my town, say that Plymouth is on its last legs. It only has the one car and van, and then the Prowler, but I thought that the whole plan with the prowler was that it was a couple of year run car anyway, then it would be discontinued. Which would put it a only a year or so more. Still I hate to see it happen, it just sucks that Plymouth is being cut, 70 something years of great products, but its just not something that DC cares about anymore.
Old 09-28-1999, 01:52 PM
Inactive User

Being from Canada, this is what is apparently happening here. In Canada, all of the car lines will be marketed and branded as Chryslers. All trucks will be branded as Dodge and jeeps as Jeep. It has already started with the 2000 Neon. We get this vehicle as a Chrysler Neon now, not as a Dodge or Plymouth Neon like we used to. We will only see the Chrysler Sebring, the Chrysler Cirrus and the Chrysler Intrepid ( which the Intrepid has always been marketed as a Chrysler in Canada never as a Dodge as in the States)as well as the Chrysler Concorde and 300M. Dodge and Plymouth cars and vans will disappear from Canada, no more Avengers, Breeze, Stratus,Voyageur or Caravans. This is probably a marketing move due to our smaller market and will cut down on marketing and advertising costs with fewer models to advertise. The same is happening with Ford dropping the Mercury line in Canada and having the Ford models only (ie: Taurus but not Sable, Contour but not Mystique). I guess our small market just does not justify all of the separate advertising and paperwork costs for so many different models.
Old 09-28-1999, 09:46 PM
Inactive User

Thank you all for your responses. I agree that this is sad. After 70 years of making cars that Plymouth will be phased out. I only own one Dodge and it is a Rampage. Two of my cars are Chrysler the rest are all Plymouth. So I am going to make sure and Preserve them so that my child will know what a Plymouth is. After all she is my little "Roadrunner."