Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-07-1999, 01:10 AM

Gang,

Just got back from Advance AutoParts Nationals at Topeka. Sheeeesh. . .we Mopar guys have VERY little to cheer about. Allan Johnson only ProStock Mopar to qualify and promptly gits beat in first round!! Only one ProTruck made it: Craig Eaton and he goes out in first round. Only cheerie spot was John Nobile's Olds ProStock has a big MoPar Performance Parts decal on left and right side rear window!!

A few interesting notes:

1. The GM ProTrucks are really bogus. While our Mopar brothers are using W8 heads on the 358" motors, the GM pukes are running a billet head!! Not allowed but NHRA just ignores it. In fact, one NHRA "official" opined that it should be called GM Pro Stock Truck. In addition, from on top of the tower looking down on the GM trucks -- it looks to me like they are narrower at the tailgate then they are at the cab. (Wish I coulda measured those guys. . .)

2. John Nobile is definately moving over to the Pro Stock Mopar factory team. I can't imagine why he'd wanna go slower but he musta got a helluva contract with DaimlerChrysler.

3. The Pro Hemi Project is going really slow. DaimlerChrysler is expecting to have these engine ready in a couple of weeks. No way, dooods! Guy that works for Nickens Racing says it'll be ALL winter to get the HP outta those heads. The splayed valve GM engines just seem to make gobs of HP on a "polysphere" head. So much for the "volumetric efficiency" of hemi chambers!!

Gad, I'm disappointed. . .I hope these guys git there act together -- gettin' real tired of seeing the GM cars go down track with NO competition.

Later...
Old 10-07-1999, 01:25 AM
Inactive User

Glad you were able to track down some answers!!! I heard a similar thing about the heads on the Hemi.As far as Nobile,he can use the same engine from the Olds into the Dodge.It's a Merlin block and NHRA allows this.I heard that V.Gaines was going Mopar too,but cannot confirm this.One thing about the Nickens gang,they have been known to tell a few "stories" that were not entirely true.I talked with them at Gainesville 2 years ago when David was driving the truck.David also was trying to qualify Geoffrions old Avenger in Pro Stock.Anyway,the engine in his P/S car had the dist.in the back,but looked like it had big block chebby heads on it.In other words like a 340 with chevy heads.I asked about this and they told me it was a new Mopar small block(the R block) with a new style of Dart heads.Now I didn't belive a word of this of course and went on after David signed my sons T-shirt.This year they had 2 engines in the back of a Dodge pick up,one a small block Mopar and the other a what looked exactly like a big block chebby/olds/pontiac P/S engine.But had "Mopar" cast into the heads!!! It looks like a bb chebby head.Terrible!!! I hope they get this new Hemi going,I'm tired of generic engines!! thanks for the info.
Old 10-07-1999, 02:55 AM
Mopars win..others whine

Yes thanks alot. When they come here to Houston I will look for the things that you mentioned. I hate it when GM seems to always get their way.
Old 10-07-1999, 04:58 PM

Hoov:

Pay close attention to the heads on the GM ProTruck engines. It's really strange single port (not siameezed like BB Chebby) and small exhaust. Also, look at stock S10s and see if the cab width, at the box, is the same all the way to the tailgate. Hoov, ya gotta git to the track early -- before they put up all their "barriers". I got to Topeka at 0900 hrs on Thursday morning -- PS Trucks were there and I could get upclose and personal. Let us know what ya find out. The Houston race is 28-31 Oct I think.

Chistopher:
V. Gaines is NOT moving to Chrysler. Only Nobile. I've been told that Mopar cannot use the GM block and heads in ProStock. That's kinda been the trouble all along. The guy I talk to works for Nickens in the "off season" and he says that the Mopar Hemi used a new cast block developed by DaimlerChrysler. They made several runs on the car and are currently cutting it up to check metallurgy, strength, casting process, etc. He thinks that the final Mopar hemi will be some kinda race head!!! Could be why WJ is rumored to be retiring next year?!?!

Later dooods. . .
Old 10-07-1999, 11:39 PM
Mopars win..others whine

Thank you JCNathan, I printed the transcript so as to remember what you said. Yep on the dates. They just happen to fall on all four of my off days! I'll get back with you on it.
Old 10-08-1999, 01:56 AM
Inactive User

My info says that NHRA allows use of a aftermarket generic block and the Dart Merlin block qualifies.Allen Johnson uses a Merlin block too.What the flap earlier was about was that Nickens was using a block cast by the Caterpillar corp,and they concluded that this was a legal block.What it was is the Generic Motors DRCE block,cast by Cat for GM.NHRA said No to this deal for Mopar and gave them a time limit to change over to the Merlin block.The engines in all of the P/S Mopars are GM designs anyway,that's why I can't wait for Mopar to get this new Hemi rolling!!!
Old 10-08-1999, 02:11 AM

Hoov:

I hope ya have better luck rootin' for da MoPars!! Gosh, wish I could be there with ya. My next door neighbor is a MoPar fan but he keeps buying them dang Hundas!!

Chris:

Thanx for the info. What you said is tru, I was a little fuzzy on the rules and the Cat block and all, thanx for settin' me straight. (Usta be a drag strip tech guy but that was 10 years ago!!) Anyway, the new block and heads are definately 100% MoPar -- at least that's what the guy at Nickens told me. Gad, I wish I could git back into this drag racing again. . .heck, I'm still looking to buy another muscle car so I can get into the performance chat.

Later,
JC
Old 10-08-1999, 02:31 AM

hay guys go easy on dc. remember when chrysler was going under they got out of all racing and are a little behind. we should be greatful that damilerchrysler has decided to let the mopar division get back into racing. they could have sut it down and i heard romors that they were thinking of shutting down racing again but deceided to go ahead full throttle. i am glad they did. they will have that new hemi, after all they made the first hemi.
Old 10-08-1999, 04:53 AM
Inactive User

Sure,they'll get it going.I guess all of us Moparites got real spoiled on the Wayne County era.However,we waited a long time for that to happen too,as we had to wait on Jenkins,Reher&Morrison,Glidden,WJ and Kurt to have there day in the sun.I think it's our turn again,and hopefully it will be a bit more of a mix of cars,instead of the usual domination of one team.Now if there are 5 Mopars leading the points,I'm not going to complain either!!
Old 10-08-1999, 07:49 PM

Marshal:

Heck, I don't wanna be a complainer (even tho it seems that's all I do lately!!) but the fact that GM uses bogus cylinder heads and many folks say that Chebbies are cheaper to build gits to me. I started drag racing Mopars in 1967 and finally hung it up in 1980. I've been attending National events now since 1989 and like Christopher said, was revelling in the Wayne County Speed Shop days. What gets me is the stated GM corporate line of "not supporting" racing then secretly "fund" WJ, KJ, etc.

Just checked the net, at Memphis, after 2 rounds of qualifying, Todd Patterson and Craig Eaton are both in the field. Eaton is on the "bump" at 7.63. Bob Panella, Jr is #1 at 7.54. Patterson ran a 7.60 but all the Mopar trucks are still not "pulling" at the top end. GM trucks are running 3-4 MPH better than the Mopars.

Later,
JC
Old 10-09-1999, 12:50 AM
Inactive User

The Dakota's are definatly at a disadvantage with the wider cab and front end.And I forgot to mention one thing the other post about NHRA P/S front ends....The cars use the nose to trip the lights at the finish line,not the wheels!!!So if you look at a Avenger and a Firechicken side by side,The Firechicken has a 6" longer nose,which NHRA says equates to .004 sec,all things being equal.How is that equal??? If they use the wheels to trip the lights,you lose the 6 sec runs,so maybe that's there reason.There was a article on this in Drag Racing magazine and thats where I got this from.I also e-mailed Allen Johnson about this and he said there was a BIG disadvantage!!!
Old 10-19-1999, 06:04 AM

I've done some checking and after talking to a professional engine builder the biggest problem for the Hemi in pro stock is piston weight vs. compression ratio BIG CHAMBER BIG PISTON very heavy. Also very Heavy valve train and tons of friction (look at Exhaust rockers) now there may be some help check out Mr. Ray Bartons new valve train set up trick and less friction and weight.

Just a thought Denny
Old 10-21-1999, 01:19 AM
Inactive User

The new Hemi 99 program solves all of these problems.
Old 10-21-1999, 01:26 AM

LA360,

Interesting. From an engineering standpoint piston weight is a problem but so is the "drag" on the piston side (insipient friction). Mopar figured that out long ago and have designed all their engines with longer rods (reduces the angle the rod makes with the piston thus reducing friction). I don't know how they can overcome the weight problem but I don't think that it or the reciprocating inertia of the valve train. Example: the new formula one engines use a type of hemispherical chamber (penta-chamber with valves about 90 degrees apart). They run high compression ratios and 15000 rpm -- horsepower is the name of the game in Pro Stock and the hemi's should be able to develop gobs of HP. So, I respectfully disagree with your engine builders assessment. But, hey, I've been really wrong before and I have NEVER built a Pro Stock motor!! (Lotsa 383 E/SA Mopars -- I think there may be a little difference in engineering between Stock and Pro Stock, tho. <grin>)

JC
Old 10-28-1999, 09:01 PM
Mopars win..others whine

Hey JC, I just got back home from the track here in Baytown. The track is 5 miles from my home. I got to talk to Darrel Alderman for a few minutes. He said that they were going with the Hemi next year but he seemed a little apprehensive about it. He said that the Hemi is not even put together yet and that he's been real happy with what they are getting out of the current engine as of late. Also the pro stock trucks are not running here this weekend, bummer! Eddy Nickens is running his Avenger in comp eliminator this weekend. Larry Morgan said that Allen Johnson will be here in the morning with his hauler and crew. The car was damaged in a crash while testing Monday in Dallas. The repairs to it are being done in Houston. I also did notice that the owners of the track are building an oval track next to the drag strip. Do not know how big, but it looks like it might be a 1/2 mile high banked one. I haven't read anything in the paper on it though. I will be out there tomorrow but I don't think this weekend.
Old 10-29-1999, 01:41 AM

Hoov,

Way kewl. . .thanx for the update. One note, if you're there tomorrow listen to the PA announcers, especially Dennis Winegar. He and I raced in Stock Eliminator back in the 1970s. He's the Director of NHRAs Track Announcers Guild. We are good friends, both of us work for the U.S. Army at Rock Island Arsenal, and we live in Bettendorf, IA.

Shoot -- fergot that the ProTrucks aren't running this week but just as well they're hopeless anyway. Interesting comments from Alderman. Just what I thought -- lotsa work to do on the Hemi99 project. Say, you live in the Houston area -- isn't that where Nickens Racings is located?? Have you ever been to the shop?? Can you do a little spying for MoPar Chat?? (Jus kiddin' -- not promoting anything illegal!!) Let us know how things go tomorrow.

Later,

JC
Old 10-31-1999, 04:42 AM
Mopars win..others whine

Well hello JC,, I could not even make the races on Friday. My daughter is in band and she made the finals and I couldn't miss it. And today we were at competition for district at another school out of town and I am a chaparone. They do not get many fathers to do this. Kiddos come first. Sorry for no more input, but I see I missed a lot from what I read on the Net. Can Eddie Hill get a break? This one put him in the hospital just up the street from me. Looks like Allen Johnson is the only MOPAR to make the field. And Mike Dunn has the no. 1 spot in Top Fuel. Anyways, you live in Iowa? I was in Iowa just this last August in West Branch. We were up there for the "Hooverfest". My family is originally from there.
Old 10-31-1999, 07:41 AM

Wink

Hoov,

I agree -- kids come first and blessings to ya for your dedication -- need more like ya. Looks like we're gonna hafta wait for 2000 if we wanna see the MoPars competitive!!

Yep. . .livin in Iowa. Originally from N. Dak but I've lived here for 30 years. I like it -- nice and comfortable. . .just wish we had nice mild winters like u folks in East Texas. Later -- JC
Old 11-08-1999, 06:24 PM
Inactive User

Question

On the goracing.com discussion boards someone noted that the Mopar teams were considering using Neons instead of Avengers for next year. Considering the short wheelbase of the Neon I would think a Pro Stock Neon would be a bit much to try to control. Anyone else hear any rumours pertaining to this or was someone just trying to stir up a discussion?
Old 11-08-1999, 10:15 PM
Mopars win..others whine

Yep I had heard that also and it was on the Car and Truck site a few weeks ago.
Old 11-09-1999, 07:47 AM
Inactive User

I saw this also on the car and truck board.Personally,I don't think they are going to do this.You'd really have to stretch a Neon's rear wheelwells to get any type of tire under the car.I don't think it would ever pass NHRA's specs this way,and the front end would have to be stretched a likewise amount.Plus the wheelbase seems too short.I think if they were going to run a 4dr.car,the Stratus would be the logical choice.