Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-06-1999, 12:29 AM
Mopars win..others whine

I do not know if anyone has mentioned it yet but MOPAR and Kinser are the champions in the WOO (World of Outlaws) series. Sorry if this is a repost of someone elses, but I don't think it couldn't hurt to mention it again. Way to go Mark.
Old 11-06-1999, 06:18 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Yeah, way to go Mark!!!!!! Best news I heard all day Hoov!
Old 11-08-1999, 06:18 PM
Inactive User

Great news ! mopar #1
Old 11-08-1999, 06:18 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

I have also heard that up to 12 teams may be switching to Mopar power for next year. Mopar is apparently rushing to get sufficient parts available to outfit all the teams that want to switch.
Old 11-10-1999, 05:24 AM

Wow, I knew he was doing really good but never thought he'd win the championship. Let's hope some of this will spill over into DC's NASCAR effort in 2001.

Now if only DC could start doing better in the NRHA ProStock categories they would have most of the bases covered.

HV
Old 11-11-1999, 06:55 AM
Inactive User

I read in a magazine that DC might pull out from nhra pro stock sponsership.
Old 11-12-1999, 12:56 AM
Inactive User

Old rumor there.That surfaced during the Nascar deal.Mopar will be sponsoring 4 Pro Stock cars,I know at least 4 Pro Stock trucks,associate sponsor on Dean Skuza's flopper,and numerous sportsman associate sponsorships.And that's just NHRA.I don't know who they are giving support to in IHRA.
Old 11-12-1999, 05:37 PM
Inactive User

I enjoy watching all NHRA racing but Pro stock is my favorite and would love to see mopar at the top of the heap!
Old 11-12-1999, 08:46 PM
Inactive User

I doubt they will pull out of pro-stock any time soon. They have the new scratch-built Hemi, which was developed expressly for PS, that has yet to hit the track, and there are Neon bodies already in work. If they are still unsuccessful after 2 or 3 years, then they might pull the plug.
Old 11-13-1999, 01:42 AM
Inactive User

They(Nickens,Morgan etc.) will be doing a bunch of testing during the off season.Supposedly,Nickens will have a Hemi ready for either Alderman or Geoffrion's car in time for the season opener.Don't know what Larry Morgan or John Nobile(Morgan engine)will have in Feb.I seriously doubt they will be in Neons(look at previous post as why)especially due to the fact that Nobile's new car is a 2000 Avenger.Anybody who subscribes or can get the latest issue of Mopar Action magazine can see the new Hemi in all it's glory.
Old 11-13-1999, 03:03 PM
Mopars win..others whine

You know with all this news of the new Hemi for next year that I would try to find out more from the Nickens Brothers Racing Engines shop. JC said I should try to "spy" and see if I could find out anything. Well I found their shop and it is 17 miles from me. I just do not have the courage to go in and ask. OK call me a baby, that's OK. Maybe they could let me watch one or a few of their test sessions that they will be doing at Houston Raceway Park? The track is just 5 miles from my home. I have to drive by the track to go to my brother's house and from time to time I would see their hauler out there and wanted to go see, but they tell me it is a closed session and the public is not invited. Oh well. But when JC asked if I could do the spying bit, I guess I just got caught up in the moment. But who knows??
Old 11-13-1999, 04:06 PM
Inactive User

I'd go ask them!!! But I understand where youre coming from also. I talked to Nickens 2 years ago at Gainesville and he is a very nice person.Maybe if you tell them youre not a "spy" and have no camera or recording equipment,maybe they will let you come in.It's worth a try!!
Old 11-13-1999, 06:21 PM
Inactive User

I'm beginning to doubt that Nickens will ever be successful with the Mopar engines. His accomplishments are pretty slim up to now. His Dakotas turn times down there with the Ford Ranger and rookie truck teams, while Allen Johnson beats his efforts every time in pro-stock.

I wouldn't rule out the Neon. Last I heard, they had not yet settled on a body, and were testing the Neon.

Old 11-14-1999, 06:26 AM
Inactive User

Why do you say that?? Look at the results..Alderman has qualified for at least the last half of the races and the ones he hasn't qualified for ,he has missed out by only a couple thousands of a second.The fields have been real tight this year,in fact tighter than any previous year.Plus Jerry Bickle(who built the car)hasn't been in the Mopar pit as the "chassis consultant" as in the beginning of the year.As far as the small block truck engine,when you compare it to what Patterson is doing,yes he is behind the curve.But look when the Wayne County program started.It actually took fruition in 1987,car was built and ready for the 88 season,got their first win in 89 at the Gatornationals(I was there)and finished 5th in the world,and finally in 1990 Alderman was the world champion,and followed up again in 1991.But the big thing is look at how many different B-1 cylinder heads were made(by design changes)These things take time obviously.Look at WJ with the Oldsmobubble engine,the DRCE.All this engine is a evolution of the big block chebby.Each manufacturer got to put there part number on the heads,so they could say it was a pontiac,olds,whatever.What I'm saying with WJ is that he already had a base to start with along with the GM engineering group.They made modifications that helped the duribility of the engine,and of course NHRA approved all of this.So the Hemi may not win the first few races,maybe it will.All I know is these things don't happen overnight,nor over the off season.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited November 14, 1999).]
Old 11-14-1999, 06:19 PM
Inactive User

I don't doubt Nickens ability to build an engine, but in a world of instant gratification, I doubt if MP will be willing to put up with 3 losing years before they axe the program.

A major revision of pro-stock rules might help, but as is, it's almost impossible to compete against the GM monopoly.

I'd like to see a return to stock appearing cars for pro stock, and the main change I would make is to eliminate external non-production air scoops. Take air in from the cowl or grille, but the hood would have to be what the factory offered. That might bring back the Shakers and other factory inovations.
Old 11-15-1999, 01:08 AM
Inactive User

Sure,I'd like to see the Pro Stock cars look like they did in the 70's,the funny cars too.But as long as GM is NHRA's "official car" they are not going to change the rules.NHRA I'm sure would like a better mix of brands,but in order to shoehorn a big engine in a FWD car,concessions have to be made.The fans love the idea of a 6sec car,no doubt.The hood scoop takes about 20Hp to push it thru the air,so until they go to EFI,I'm sure things will stay as they are.Look at the Pro Stock trucks,with the front ends curved downward to the sides,towards the fenders.Is that stock?? No way!!And the Dodge's have a disadvantage with there ft end being wider,but there are no rules revisions regarding this either.Mopar has a deal with Nickens for 2 years,so I'm sure the Hemi 99 project will work,just may take a bit of time.Alderman's car had chassis problems earlier,so when they changed the wheelie bars and a 4 link adjustment was made,the car went right into the 6.80's at Houston.The power is there,they run 197-199mph and are with most other competitors.Nickens has said the slower speeds(no 200 mph)is due to the Avengers aerodynamic's,which may or may not be true.We will see next year.