Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Club Chat Forums > Shelby Dodge Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:12 PM
Inactive User

Default Slapped in the face by Popular Hot Rodding

Popular Hot Rodding has judged the 2.2l one of the 10 worst engines ever made, and made the list with Cadillac's V-8-6-4 and HT4100, Olds' 350 diesel, CHevy 2.2l and Vega140, Ford's '32 Flathead V-8 and 2.6l V-6, and finally Lincoln's Flathead V-12 (like in the original version of the song "Hot Rod Lincoln"). Anybody else fell like they've been slapped in the face?
Old 08-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Inactive User

If the story is based on some sort of fact finding mission of percentages, then I'd believe them. Highly doubtful that list is any more than some engines thru history that were publizied as unreliable.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Banned

Biggrin

I feel slapped. I've had Shelbies and turbos that would make most gm v8's look lije hotwheels toys instead of street machines. That stinks man.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:21 AM
Inactive User

I know what I've done to mine and that was a pretty tough engine, especially when you compair it to the Ford 3.8l V-6, GM 2.8l V-6, and by the magazines standards, small block Chevy (which of course didn't make the list). At least PHR's sister mag Sport Compact Car considered the Omni GLH, Omni GLHS, Charger GLHS, and Daytona Iroc R/T four of their 100 Best Sport Compacts. Funny how a domestic hating magazine disagrees with it's Chevy loving sister mag. I should add that if I remember right, the only Chevy on that list was the Cosworth Vega!
Old 08-31-2004, 12:34 AM
Inactive User

Question

Is that a peterson publishing outfit?They have always seem to have it out for us it seems.And the cosworth vega wasnt half bad for a stovebolt either.Im doin a timing belt on a 2.2 right now and they arnt the easiest thing to work on but what is anymore?
Old 08-31-2004, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

It's now called Primedia, basicly most of the most of the car mags are now through them. If I remember right, even when on their own, PHR has been pretty much a Chevy mag. Atleast a Honda mag like SCC gave their opinion, they even had an rodded Iroc R/T in one of the recent issues and have a couple of Neon project cars on the burner.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:51 AM
Inactive User

I thought the same thing about the article. What a crock of horse's ass. Notice however, that the article didn't really mention anything specific about the 2.2/2.5 engine, but instead seemed to blame Chrysler for the crappy Holley. And the disrtibutor problem is a three minute fix, for God's sake. I've not heard of any major head cracking problems other than with the DOHC 2.2 found in the R/T FWD, which was designed by Lotus, owned by Degenerate Motors. Coincidence? I doubt it. Head gaskets blowing? That comes with turbocharging, friends. A simple fact of life. I happened to buy the magazine for the cover feature, the black '66 Charger. Are Mopars the next big thing? Are they implying that maybe people are getting into Mopars as a trend? Screw you, trend following scum of the earth. We've been here for years and we're not going away, no matter how we're ignored, slighted, and generally relegated to the butt of countless automotive jokes. After reading the magazine, I remember why I didn't renew my subscription ten years ago.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Inactive User

HERE, HERE!!!!! Head gaskets were weren't a problem for me, the ditributor itself didn't give me any problems either. The biggest problem I had was occasional computer related problems, old age of instlled parts, and increasingly difficult to find factory repair parts.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:16 AM
Inactive User

I've owned a few FWD Mopars, and the first of the bunch was an '81 Plymouth Reliant. That little car lived up to its name and then some. I only started to have problems after several years of mercilessly beating the crap out of it. Its problems were symptoms of sheer neglect. I had the distributor problem that the article mentioned, but once I had a new rotor, it literally took a minute to fix. All in all, I thought the magazine ripped me off. I should have known better.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Inactive User

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way, Dart. Dad, my sister, and I beat the hell out of the two I owned and they still ran well.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:16 PM
Inactive User

HeHeHe Just thought about something the other day, On the Magnum R/T commercial where the guy in the R/T goes to pass a Lotus Esprit and the guy in the Lotus tries to block the pass and the wagon spanks it. you think that was maybe an old ad exec's way of hitting back at Lotus for the 2.2 DOHC heads?
Old 10-14-2004, 03:08 AM
Inactive User

I haven't seen that commercial, but that just might be the case.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Inactive User

I've seen that commercial a ton of times and just thought of that a week ago.