Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Club Chat Forums > Shelby Dodge Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Question How rare are the T-top Daytonas?

I've mentioned this vehicle several times in the FWD forum, but figured I may get more responses here where the question won't get buried under a bunch of minivan or Intrepid posts.
Also, this forum being lower on the page makes it easier to overlook, sorry to say.
I realize the car isnt a Shelby, but I do think it's unusual.
I've seen many more Daytonas with sunroofs than T-tops, but I know very little about the T-top Daytonas or who made them, or how many were made.
Any replies are appreciated!
Old 12-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Banned

Biggrin

The T top car is much harder to find than a sunroof car. I've fond several hard and sunroof tops around here in salvage yards and even fewer on the streets these days. If you found one in decent shape, I'd grab it and restore it back to life.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Inactive User

Just watch them, the tops leak bad from what I understand, I tink the work was done by ASC while I think the sun roofs were a factory job (atleast the one on my '88 Shadow was)
Old 12-24-2005, 04:20 AM

It's in fair shape, some rust in the quarters and rocker panels, but nothing extreme, it's your basic 2.5 banger with an automatic.
Worse thing about it is the steering column is wore out, the guy who had it had a monkey for a wife who would literally hang on the steering wheel when she drove it. The wheel can be moved up and down, and left and right about 4 or 5 inches. You have to kind of pick up the wheel then feel until you hit the right spot for the key to go far enough to engage the starter. The car has a leaky transaxle that needs to be replaced, as well as no electrical signal to the fuel pump in the tank, so that problem will have to wait. It'll run if you prime the thottle body.
I expect if I start fixing it up, I'll have to find another Daytona or two I can use for parts. They are somewhat common around here and I suspect some parts like the steering column, I can get from other fwd Mopars.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:00 AM
Banned

Biggrin

You can swap all that stuff from other cars. Check the shut off relay and see if that's why you have no fuel pump.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43
You can swap all that stuff from other cars. Check the shut off relay and see if that's why you have no fuel pump.
Where is the shut off relay on this Daytona at?
I've never had to fool with it much, I just bought it off my buddy and parked it in the yard, so I'm not too familiar with it, sorry to say.
I do know the fuel pump is fairly new, he had it replaced not long before I bought it.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Inactive User

T-top cars are not rare at all. My kid had an 86 Turbo-Z with T-tops and I had a 89 Daytona Shelby with T-tops. The vast majority of the Shelby's came with T-tops. I believe they stopped offering the T-top after 90 but on 86-89 cars they were common.

The coversion was done by ASC and on my 89 the only leak issues in 176,000 miles and 10 years of owner ship was if you directed a high pressure car wash hose at the top of the window it would get past the seal.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:21 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga
Where is the shut off relay on this Daytona at?
I've never had to fool with it much, I just bought it off my buddy and parked it in the yard, so I'm not too familiar with it, sorry to say.
I do know the fuel pump is fairly new, he had it replaced not long before I bought it.
You can access it with the DRB II scanner.