Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-21-2002, 01:44 AM
Inactive User

Default What auto.. shifter do you like,brand & type

Looking to get new shifter, one that has forward and reverse shift patterns, B&M and Hurst have a few ,, ratchet,? gate?... have b&m star shifter right now.. its old, but, works great! what do you guys recommend for a part street and part drag strip car?.....
thanks

coolcarz
Old 09-21-2002, 12:24 PM
Inactive User

I like my Hurst Quarter Stick. Easily operated and I can go back to first or straight to neutral with out having to hunt or hit any gears inbetween.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:34 PM
Inactive User

i have a b&m quicksilver and i just hate it!! i will be watching to see what other people suggest.

thanks
rick

1969 GTX 479 hp at crank, 727 manual valve body
Old 09-21-2002, 12:40 PM
Inactive User

Turbo Action Cheetah SCS, Period.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:46 PM
Inactive User

70roadrunner where would a guy get one of those shifters approx cost and why do you reccomend it ?
i have to go rite now i will be back later

thks

rick
Old 09-21-2002, 12:47 PM
Inactive User

I've driven a couple cars with the Cheetah shifter and didn't like it. You have to move the shifter around in the gate and it's just not as simple to operate as the Quarter Stick. With the Quarter stick you squeeze the trigger and pull it into first (no accidental engagement if you neutral the car in the lights) then simply pull the lever back for 2nd, squeeze the trigger for 3rd. After the pass if you want first gear mearly push the lever forward until it stops. If you want neutral squeeze the trigger and push it forward until it stops. Couldn't be simpler or easier.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:26 PM
Inactive User

Just a personal thing but i dont like how the hurst quarter sticks and B&M pro stick work.
The Cheetah was recommended to me by a good friend and take a look around in the cars next time you go to the track at a big event, see what shifters are in there, you'll see a ton of these shifters.
If you personally like the pro stick better then use it, i think it all comes down to personal preference for shifters at least.
I didnt want you guys to leave out the cheetah from your decision though.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:33 PM
Inactive User

Oh yea and the Cheetahs cost about twice as much. I like Paul's products don't get me wrong. I use his converters and valve bodies exclusively. That shifter just feels cheesy to me though.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:18 PM
Inactive User

I've always felt like the Pro stick and hurst felt cheesy, they just arent built the way i'd like them.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:28 PM
Inactive User

And how many cars/races have you run with each kind of shifter 70?
Old 09-21-2002, 10:22 PM
Inactive User

70?? 70??

That's what I thought. Nothing but crickets

*chirp chirp* *chirp chirp*
Old 09-21-2002, 10:28 PM
Inactive User

Ok my .02 on the subject...I really like the hurst pro-matic II. The rachet shifters can be a little annoying until you get used to them, but after you "bond" with it works great with your valve body fwd or rev.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:20 PM
Inactive User

Alright then, real world advice a fellow can use.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:28 PM
Inactive User

Actually, I like my stock 1971 Slap Stick shifter!!
Just push forward to the next gear. It locks out neutral when you pull it into first or second (engaged by pushing the button on the side and selecting first or second gear.)

I thought the B&M ratchet shifter was OK when I tried out a display model, but I never have had a non-stock shifter in my cars.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:35 PM
Inactive User

I liked those also 451. They don't work as well for a reverse valve body though and don't meet the NHRA requirements for a positive reverse lock out. Otherwise they are great.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:18 AM

GTXREEK...

I'm interested in what you don't like about the quicksilver shifter?

I've been thinking of getting one and have not heard anyone say anything bad about them.

I need a shifter that will work with a bench seat, so I have limited clearance and thought the quicksilver with it's very short travel would work for me. This is my first automatic tranny car in over 15 years, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mopar_Maniac
Old 09-22-2002, 12:23 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

I just got a Hurst promatic II. I like it pretty good! Hurst makes good stuff! I think I paid 150 at the local Autozone for it!
Old 09-22-2002, 02:42 AM
Inactive User

Ive run every auto shifter known to man including cave men and the Pro stick rules,(the 1/4 stick is almost identical),let me add any shifter where you have to pull up or down or both on is a piece of crap as the gates will wear out at an unusually fast rate,(I feel better now)Heres why I only run the Pro stick,simply put you can get to any gear from any gear instantly,no fuss no mess,just squeeze the trigger and put it where you want,2nd its positive gate for 1-2-3 are excellent,starting in 1 simply push it forward for 2 it cant go past 2,for 3 squeeze the trigger and keep it squeezed while pushing it forward and you cant miss 3 or get neutral,heck my wife can even use it.In 5 yrs its showing no sign of wear or tear,and NO I dont like it just because it says "Pro" but its a nice touch...........PRO.......(actually its short for my last name Prodromides....like I said PRO)
Old 09-22-2002, 11:29 AM
Inactive User

The Hurst Quarter Stick is popular, affordable, and works well except in reverse pattern manual valve bodies on the 727 and 904. Due to the design....on a hard launch...with your hand resting on the shifter....it may shift to second immediately. Great looks, design and function. I like it better in forward pattern applications.

B&M Pro Stick....same story....but has interchangeable gates. Nice feature.

Turbo Action Cheetah....The racer's choice. Excellent function, quality, and workmanship. Priced way too high and has cheezy plastic looks. For the price, it should be billet. I use them, but would run the Quarter Stick, if I could keep my hand off the shifter.

Rachet shifters....excellent for Pro Street applications.

On a forward pattern street-strip car, there is nothing wrong with the factory console shifters.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:52 PM
Inactive User

Gothca, you're right about the launch with a Quarter Stick. I kind of just hover my hand around it then grab it after the launch.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:52 PM
Inactive User

MOPAR_MANIAC

my biggest complaint with quick silver is that you have to have it in 3rd then struggle to lift up handle then u can put it in park. if you didn't have to lift so hard it would not be horrible.i have fought with this for 5 years and finally wore out the threads in handle. it is also not the easiest shifter to find reverse with. maybe mine is a little wore out , but to shift to 3rd you have to hit it hard or some times it won't go, and you know yourself that if you shift you want to be sure it shifts.so with my manual valve body on a sunday cruise driving nice i have to shift really hard and you might look like a geek that does not know how to handle your own car. any way that is my opinion
Old 09-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Inactive User

B&M quick silver is rather difficult to shift and trying to find the right moves to make it smooth , is not easy.. I dont have a quick silver but drove cars with them,, lol .. like GTXREEK said if ya wana look cool it aint the shifter to have, hehehe and I thought it was just the one quick silver, but tried others and they were all the same.. but i'm sure there is some one out there that has one and has no problem. (odds are)...

coolcarz