Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:15 AM
Inactive User

Default I'm slipping...

Hello my Mopar Bro's, it's been a long time. Stoga, Ehost, and every one who helped me to breath life back into this GTX. After 7 years of sitting in a field, and almost 2 years of CPR, I took her to the Goodguys show in Pleasanton, CA and Mopar Alley in Fremont, and couldnt have been prouder.
The prob I have now though is a 440-6 that wants to break loose from the tranny at 50 or 60 when you stab it on the freeway. I took the return spring off the clutch fork and it was tight as hell. When I adjusted the fork rod to provide 5/16" free play like the book said, the pedal went to the floor! Tried to meet half way with no fork free play just til the rod was snug, but then the gears still grind. Had to go back to the tight fork. The pedal is back to being about 3 inches from the floor.
The clutch was new before the car sat(according to the prev owners receipts). What am I doing wrong? Does anyone know a good Mopar clutch guy in the SF bay area??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6060032.jpg (111.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-14-2010, 03:17 AM

I have to wonder if the 7 years of setting in the field damaged the pressure plate. Seems to me there's something wrong either in the linkage, throwout bearing or pressure plate, possibly even the clutch disk hanging up on the input shaft. Your GTX looks great! However, I'd drop the transmission and bellhousing and take a look. This would be a great time to check all the pivot points in the linkage and make sure the bushings are ok, in fact, do that first before you drop the transmission.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Inactive User

Default I'd guess

Your flywheel or pressure plate are scored from rust.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:42 PM

The clutch linkage torque shaft (often called a Z-bar) has two levers welded to the shaft, the welds sometimes break and allow lost motion in the linkage.

Adjust the fork free play to 5/32" like the book says (not 5/16") and position yourself under the car while somebody sits in the car and operates the clutch pedal, look fo any flex in the parts that are preventing full fork travel.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

It has been a while since I worked on a clutch but on the ball on the motor side of the z bar. I think there is a plastic bushing in the end on the ball it might be gone. That will make it flex when you step on the pedal.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:53 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for all the leads, guys. Let me run one more by you. Was reading a couple of Mustang threads, and these guys all talk about a simular prob. They say if it's a Centerforce unit, the install sheet tells you to remove the over center spring because it pulls down on the pedal too much. I don't know if that's what's on there, but I DO know I'll need a come-along to get that spring off.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Inactive User

Go to Ace and get a lighter spring and try it.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdavey View Post
They say if it's a Centerforce unit, the install sheet tells you to remove the over center spring because it pulls down on the pedal too much. I don't know if that's what's on there, but I DO know I'll need a come-along to get that spring off.
Don't remove the overcenter spring unless you're absolutely sure you have a diaphram clutch, the overcenter spring is needed with the common B&B pressure plate.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Inactive User

Absolutely John. I will make sure it's a diaphram and not a B&B 3-finger P- Plate before I go removing the O/C spring. If it IS though and still new, it'll stay to save $$$. But any ideas on plucking that monster spring off the clutch pedal if I need to? It's got knuckle-buster written all over it...
Old 06-18-2010, 04:04 AM
Inactive User

I have used vise grips to pull them off And I have used a heavy wire to make a loop grab to pull on. You can use the wire and pry using a bar or put a wrench in it to make a handle to pull with. Less blood that way.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:33 PM

Or you can push the pedal down to the point where the spring is stretched to its max and shove wedges between the coils, when the pedal comes back up the spring won't be under as much tension and will be easier to remove.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

Thanks guys. Both great ideas. I'll let you know how it turns out. If not, Kaiser in Oakland is the closest hospital. I'll try to request room 440.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Inactive User

OK Guys, here's the O/C spring update... I used a short piece of chain attatched to the front outside bolt of the drivers seat mount, and a turnbuckle to pull on the spring, slide it off the clutch pedal, and ever-so-gently release the tension. Z-bar and bushings were ok, pedal brackets were ok, all rods and linkage were ok. With an additional small spring to hold the pedal up, I adjusted the stop so the pedal sat just a wee higher than the brake and then adjusted the clutch fork free play to specs.
Ty-wrapped the O/C spring out of the way for the time being and took it for a ride using just the two individual smaller springs: one for the pedal and one for the fork return. It is a noticeably harder clutch now, but not at all uncomfortable. (BTW, It did turn out to be an OE style 3-finger B&B press. plate). And she grabs like the dickens now! Why then, was the O/C spring pulling the clutch in??? Guess it doesn't matter as much now, she'll grab 3rd with no problem. And if I wear baggy pants, no one will notice my left leg is bigger than my right.....
Thanks for all your help. Dave
Old 07-09-2010, 05:12 PM

It's the OC spring's job to pull the pedal down when the pedal travels a certain distance, this allows the pedal to be drpressed with less effort from the driver and tha's why there is more force needed to depress the pedal without when using a standard B&B clutch.

If the OC spring is pulling the pedal down by itself there is too much free play in the pedal; IOW, the spring is supposed to pull the pedal down when the pedal goes past the designed free play area.