Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Inactive User

Question 2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Sedan - Battery Replacement/Access Help!

My 2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Sedan has been great, and I've never had any major problems with it...until this past week. The safety shut-off did not work (or did not work fast enough) when I left on one of the interior map lights, and my battery died.

I have jump-started the car, and I've gotten the battery to charge somewhat; however, the battery isn't holding a charge very well, and I have to be careful to keep it from dying again. Given the age of the vehicle, and that I've never replaced the battery, though, I think it's time for a new battery.

The problem is, I can't figure out how to access the battery for replacement! I can clearly see that the battery for my 2002 Sebring sedan is buried under the fuse panel, and can only access the terminal extenders from under the hood. I've searched the web exhaustively, and with the exception of trying to order a paper service manual, I've had no luck finding any definitive guidance for accessing and replacing the battery. There have been some cryptic responses posted here and there, such as remove the wheel or remove the bumper skirt or fender, but nothing clear. And certainly no advice as to how to remove the bumper or fender (I think I can handle the wheel based on general experience).

So...my first forum question is this: How do I access the battery compartment so that I can remove the old dead (or dying) battery and replace it with a new battery?

Ordinarily, I'd have AAA tow the thing to the dealer and let them do it, but unfortunately I don't have an extra couple hundred dollars to spare on extra parts and labor in addition to the cost of the battery itself. I've tried AAA's battery replacement service, but they've been no help so far. Many thanks in advance for any help anyone could give me in this situation!