Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-22-2001, 04:27 PM
Inactive User

Question Coan Convertors

Anyone out there running a Coan Convertor? I've just installed a 40303 convertor in the Coronet.
Any input as to performance gains? Any real world experience with this convertor?
Coan calls it a "Pro-street" convertor.
Thanks in advance
Dave
Old 11-23-2001, 02:38 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Dave hench , havent ran one but know that muscle moters swear by them in one mag review. I think the quote was these things actualy work no bull.! Talk to them .I have a Dynamic works great. One guy told me he likes dynamic but it takes two weeks to get one or get one repaired. He likes ATI same con, but get it fixed in two days fast turn around, or get a new on in two days same quality as dynamic, I dont now the price difference. Sport
Old 11-23-2001, 02:14 PM
Inactive User

I have been running a Coan 10" unit with the anti-balloon stuff on the inside. I have had good luck with the unit so far I guess. I was not able to do a side by side comparison due to multiple mods being done when the new convertor was installed. It is kind of interesting....maybe someone can explain this to me. It is supposed to stall at about 3500. At idle, it will roll forward with no foot brake applied. If I brake torque it, it will spin the tires at about 2500-2800. If I stall it against the transbrake (2-step disconnected), it will hold the motor at about 4400. So I cant really say what the stall is. I know that on the highway it seems kind of loose at 3000 RPM but does not feel like it is slipping if I gas it. The unit was about $600+. I got it from Joe at Tranz-act in less than 5 days. Had to fill out a vehicle spec sheet and you need to know as much as possible to help in the convertor design. He was pretty helpful. A buddy had a Dynamic that came through the floorboard. I dont know all the details so I cant bad-mouth the unit though. But note that I did install a CSI full shield when I put the trans back in. This is the kevlar/glass kind that goes from the bellhousing to the tail cone section. Gives a very nice piece of mind at only $299. I had to notch it so I could check the trans pressures. I went through about 5 whiz wheels trying to make a 1" square notch (3 cuts). That Kevlar is tough stuff.

Oh yeah, TCI..=...crap. My old "streetfighter" trans and matching convertor both lasted only a short time. The convertor has an input hub that is not hardened. All most all of the teeth were rounded off and about to give way. They said they only install hardened input hubs on high dollar race only units since it is not needed for street/strip cars. Coan uses a hardened input hub on all convertors according to what they told me.

good luck.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:00 AM
Inactive User

Wow. Been along time since I posted here. To answer you question we have alwise ran a coan converter. Have had no problems expect the last one we got. For some reason they did not weld the ears in the right spot. They were to close to the edge. So a stock style starter would not work. Kept chewing them up after 1 start. So we had to get a mini and so far have had no problems.

Craig at coan in the best rep anyone could talk to. He told us to send it back and they would take care of it but we had no time. This is the only problem we have had with them. When our tranny gets redone we normally send the convertor back to get "freshend up". You dont have to but it is a little bit of insurance.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:25 AM
Inactive User

Coan?...dont know anyone who has one....my neighbor runs a JW on a 600 horse 440 and likes it alot...i was thinking about one for my mildly built small block....anybody have any comments on JW? good or bad.....
Old 11-24-2001, 12:37 AM
Inactive User

I have been running a 727 3000 tight Coan for 4 years without a problem. I have never heard of a complaint about them until DartMan 360 posted his. Nobody is perfect. Whatever you do don't get a Dynamic. Many problems. Turbo Action's are also good along with others.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:55 AM
Inactive User

we never had a problem with them untill this one. Which they would of fixed it and Craig put in the file that next time it gets sent back they will fix it for free.
Old 11-24-2001, 04:46 AM
Inactive User

I'm now running the Coan Competition #40313 10". I dont have much to compare it to, but it works fine. I was running a JW Competition 10"Steel Stator. It wouldn't allow me to foot brake either. I guess u need a transbrake for it to stall right. I'm keeping it, tho, for when I do install a brake. The Coan stalls perfectly with no noticeable slippage on high end or even around town. But I do run a 4.10 gear.