Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:21 AM

Question 1973 Dodge Van temp sending unit and fuel tank float/sending unit. Need info.

I have a 1973 Dodge Van TradesMan 200 1/2 ton with a 318 I am in need of a fuel tank sending unit /float. I need to know what other years and models of Vans or trucks or cars with the same units. I have been haveing trouble finding this at all parts stores.

Also I have replaced my temp sending unit and my temp guage and they are not getting a reading. I grounded out the temp wire and the guage pegged, but it still has no readding. I replaced the sending unit again and it still has no readding.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:34 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb might be

a voltage transducer in the back of the dash 4 both gigs.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:42 PM

As he pegged the needle when grounding the sender lead, the IVR (instrument voltage regulator) is not at fault.

If you grounded the connecter of the temp sender and got the full peg, then the new sender is faulty.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

Did you use any teflon or other type of tape or sealant on the threads of the sender? It needs a good ground through the intake to the block to work correctly. Might try a jumper wire from the body of the sender to the NEG post of the battery to see if that brings it to life. If so, you've got a bad ground from the sender to the block.

Just a thought.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:25 AM

content

Quote:
Originally posted by DanL
Did you use any teflon or other type of tape or sealant on the threads of the sender? It needs a good ground through the intake to the block to work correctly. Might try a jumper wire from the body of the sender to the NEG post of the battery to see if that brings it to life. If so, you've got a bad ground from the sender to the block.

Just a thought.
I tried a jumper wire to the bat but nothing happened.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:40 AM

I will try another new sending unit to see what happens. Anyone have any other ideas as to what the problem could be?
Old 10-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Inactive User

I have the same problem in my Charger. When the tank is full, the guage reads half to 3/4's. I sent the guage out to be fixed, I tried 2 new sending units, still same problem. I even changed the voltage limiter,still no change. If I ground the lead at the sending unit, the guage will read full, no problem. Go figure. I just fuel up when its close to or a little past empty.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:39 AM

rolleyes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrger1970
I have the same problem in my Charger. When the tank is full, the guage reads half to 3/4's. I sent the guage out to be fixed, I tried 2 new sending units, still same problem. I even changed the voltage limiter,still no change. If I ground the lead at the sending unit, the guage will read full, no problem. Go figure. I just fuel up when its close to or a little past empty.
What is it with Mopars and their electrical systems. I have a 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z 2.2 Turbo car and it too has electrical problems. A friend of mine and electrical problems with his dodge truck also. I also have a 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2.2 Turbo II car that I am fixin to do some work to and I bet it too will have electrical problems. And so will my Dodge Chargers.