Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-19-2001, 12:58 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin 440 rear main seal screw-up

A little background on this problem...... I built up a 440 for my dart using a later model 440.I think it was a 74. I went out and bought a forged crank from a shop and put the motor together with out any problems. It started leaking at the rear main seal after awile.Not a massive leak but i do keep a drip pan under it in the garage. It's one of the things i'd like to take care of over the winter.So....... I'm loafing at work today reading Landy's article in the latest Mopar Muscle.The guy has the same problem as I have and Landy mentions that the early cranks had a serrated surface for the rope seal. Damn I'm an idiot! I remember seeing them when I got the crank and didn't think twice about it! Of course i used the regular rubber style seal. So now I know the problem ,whats the solution? It says in the article to polish out the serrations, but i'm not crazy about tearing the motor down for a crank removal to do that.Will a rope seal fit the late model 440's? Can i get a rope seal in with the crank in place? Or should I just forget about it and live with the mess? Thanks -Tom