Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-17-2000, 07:55 AM
Inactive User

Question

I just bought a 65 Barracuda with 33,000 original miles, perfect metal, no rust, perfect glass and chrome. It's an Arizona car (roller only, no engine or trans) so everything was rust free, but the interior was shot from the heat.

My questions:

Does anyone know of headers that will fit this car when a 340-360 motor is dropped in? Will headers fit at all? This car is too good to chop up for fender well headers, so they are out of the question.

This car has what appears to be a very small rear end. Could be a 7 1/4? What type is it and are gear ratios and parts available?

Does anyone have any rallye wheels or mag wheels of any type that fit this small 4 inch bolt pattern? If so, I am willing to buy them.

Has anyone swapped in a 340-360 with a 727 TF into one of these cars? If so, what kind of problems did you encounter and what should I watch out for?

The steering box has what appears to be to "fluid" ports..one on top and one slightly 45 degrees to one side above the other. Is this for a power steering tubes hook up?

Does anyone have trunk lid hinges for sale? One of my hinges is bent, leaving the trunk lid skewed open slightly.

Please answer any or all of these question here on the chat room, or you can e-mail me at moparmag@msn.com. I race a 70 Cuda, have a rear engine Mopar powered dragster, and a 74 Challenger Rallye show car. This is my first "old" Mopar project, and I could use the help.

Thanks,
John C. Hill
Old 11-23-2000, 06:37 AM
Inactive User

Ok, it's becoming clearer as to what I need:

340 or 360 motor
727 (prefered) or 904 Torqueflite
Drive shaft from 1966 or newer A-body
8 3/4 rear end (with posi?) from A-body
right side trunk lid hinge

If you have any or all of these parts, and want to sell them, contact John Hill at moparmag@msn.com

I am a cash on hand, ready to buy type of guy!

Thanks for helping make this Barracuda live again!

JCH
Old 12-13-2000, 05:43 AM
Inactive User

Ok, this project is getting harder by the minute. I just finished talking to the Spitfire headers guy out in Iowa. He can make headers for the 360 in a 65 Cuda, BUT NOT IF IT HAS POWER STEERING! Well guess what, my Cuda has power steering. I still don't want to cut out the fender wells, or change out the power steering. So I now need to add stock, 273 exhaust manifolds to the parts I need. These are the only ones that will fit for this swap.

If you have any of these parts for sale, call John Hill at 480-396-6034 or e-mail at moparmag@msn.com

273 stock exhaust manifolds

8 3/4 rear end from A-body car (with posi?!)

Drive shaft from A-body car

360 or 340 motor in any condition

904 Torqueflite in any condition

Mag wheels, race wheels or rallye wheels with 4 inch bolt pattern.

Thanks,

John
Old 12-13-2000, 05:43 AM
Inactive User

Ok, this project is getting harder by the minute. I just finished talking to the Spitfire headers guy out in Iowa. He can make headers for the 360 in a 65 Cuda, BUT NOT IF IT HAS POWER STEERING! Well guess what, my Cuda has power steering. I still don't want to cut out the fender wells, or change out the power steering. So I now need to add stock, 273 exhaust manifolds to the parts I need. These are the only ones that will fit for this swap.

If you have any of these parts for sale, call John Hill at 480-396-6034 or e-mail at moparmag@msn.com

273 stock exhaust manifolds

8 3/4 rear end from A-body car (with posi?!)

Drive shaft from A-body car

360 or 340 motor in any condition

904 Torqueflite in any condition

Mag wheels, race wheels or rallye wheels with 4 inch bolt pattern.

Thanks,

John
Old 02-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Inactive User

Mag Wheels

Hey I Have A Set Of 4 Gasser Style Mag Wheels For You With The 4 In Bolt Pattern Came Off My 68 Dart. They Are 14's Possibly 6 Or 7 In Wide. Was Asking $600.00 For Em There In Good Shape. Let Me Know..i Ll Try To Email You Some Pics..
Old 02-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Inactive User

If this were me, I'd do the following:

(First, was this a six cylinder? Have you figured if the K member is correct? I'm not familiar with this aspect, but I know it can be a problem)

I'd put a 360 in there. You can build them to make REAL good street power, and they are a hell of a lot easier to find than 340, not to mention cheaper. Be sure to get a matching trans combo, because 360's are externally balanced. I don't know if the flex plate or torque converter is the part that is weighted. Getting a "complete" would be the way, here

One headers, I'd do this: Get the headers and see if you can modify them to fit around the PS, or if not, then get a manual box. You don't need PS in a 65 Barracuda!!
Old 02-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

TTI makes headers for a small block in an early A. 273 exhaust manifolds will really suck on a 340/360.
65 A body's only came with 7 1/4 rear ends.
Schumaker makes motor mounts for a 340/360 install.
K member is the same for /6 or V8.
I would upgrade to disc brakes if I were you, and the big question is do you want to keep the 4" bolt patter, or upgrade to the 4.5?
If you upgrade, you can use a 8 1/4 rear from a newer A body and take 73 - 76 front disc's. Lots of wheel choices now.
If you put a 727 or 10.5 clutch in you will probably have to beat lip back in firewall area.
If your car is a /6 car you will need a V8 drop center llink, and a good rad.

That's all I can come up with for now, but basically an easy swap.