Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Inactive User

Default '68-'69 Repro Hi-Po Exhaust Manifolds (need help with butterfly valve/spring setup)

Anyone else have these? I'm done with headers. I'm not racing. No argument needed. Bought mine from Paddock (but had Year One stickers, lol) because my exhaust manifolds were cracked and just bought a tti exhaust. tti changed out the headpipe to accomodate the difference in the years of the RH exhaust manifold without question or hassle. Much props to them. On with my question...

Due to differences between years of exhaust manifolds, my owner's manual unfortunately shows a different setup.

When they arrived, the butterfly-valve nonsense got upset and the coil spring and anti-rattle spring were off.

In the attached photos, does this look like I have the heat coil spring on correctly? It can go on four ways (correctly, 180-degrees off, reversed, reversed + 180 degrees off).

With anti-rattle spring installed:

Butterfly-valve closed:

Buttery-fly valve open:

If I live in Southern California, can I just remove the coil and anti-rattle spring altogether so that the system is always open (presuming the counterweight and exhaust pulses will keep it that way)? One day I would prefer just to remove it altogether and braze the holes shut, but I'm anxious to get my car going.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:03 PM

Looks correct to me, the flat coil spring holds the butterfly shut and the exhaust pulses against the larger side of the butterfly open it as required.