Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:39 AM
Banned

Default Gol damn Ram!

Alright, I have had this problem with my 95 ram since may. Every time I get a spare moment, I put another sensor on it, and give it a try.
I have replaced MAP, TPS, O2.
I have continuity to all sensor wires, and the proper voltage.
I haver these codes
The 14 popped up after I changed the MAP.
Now, here is what it does.................
You start it up, and it will run for about 10 seconds, and die. You can give it a bit of throttle, and it will stay running, way rich, and it will surge, and surge, and surge.
Then, all of a sudden, it will run normal! Then, you give it a bit of gas, like moving thrue a parking lot, and it will fall on its face flooded.
Running down the road, it will run intermittenly good, and rich the rest of the time.
It is a 95, 318, 4x4, auto.
This has been driving me crazy since it started, and I cannot seem to figure it out. Any idea's, before I give it to Dick?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:58 AM

BS!

Before you give it to me, take it to a dealer who is qualified to diagnose and repair the problem.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Banned

Cant.
It has no cat, and a bunch of modified stuff. The dealers are in anchorage, and they wont work on it unless they bring it back to IM compatable.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:18 PM

Biggrin

Well, then take off some more stuff and modify the rest. Anything is better than the way it was engineered and built, eh?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Banned

Why are you being such a snot?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:32 PM

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetruckboy
Why are you being such a snot?
Once upon a time there was a fencemaker who was declared by some to be the finest in the land. His fences were among the best in the world. No other fencemaker had his talents for bending and welding metal and his fences were beautiful and strong. His gates were absolutely perfect with no sag and perfect alignment. The hinges worked so smooth, some thought they had ball bearings in them.

One day, a man came to the fencemaker to ask him to build the finest fence he could. The fencemaker said he would and it would be perfect, giving the man pleasure and security for years to come.

So, the fence was built and the man was happy for a while. One day he thought he could see better through the fence if he took some of the bars out. He thought that all of the bars weren't necessary, anyway, so he removed some of them to improve his view.

The next thing he knew, some of his livestock escaped through the gaps left in the fence, and some of the neighborhood children snuck through the same gaps and swam in his pond, which the man didn't allow. However, the man did have a better view, and, oh well, he had too many animals anyway and the kids needed a place to play.

So life was good and the man got used to living with the gaps in the fence, because it did the same job as a cheaper fence that a lot of people had, and from a distance, you couldn't tell that any bars were missing.

One day, the man decided that the gate was too heavy and he felt he could make a better gate that would open and close faster and not be so heavy. That night, he went to work and started cutting parts off the gate. He removed every other bar and the diagonal braces in order to lighten it up. Then, he figured that he didn't need 4 hinges, so he took off 2 of the hinges. Now, the gate would open and close much faster because it wasn't as heavy as before..............but, now the latch didn't work because the gate had sagged. He couldn't keep it shut, so he had to tie it closed with a rope, which worked, at least to hold it closed. And, from a distance, the gate looked just like any other gate.

The seasons went by and the man enjoyed his fence, although the gate was still a bother, and now and then, his animals would get loose and the kids would sneak in, but from a distance, his fence looked good.

One night, there came a terrible storm with high wind and rain. In the morning, the man looked out his window and saw that half of the fence had bent and fallen apart during the storm. On top of that, the gate had broken off the hinges and was all bent and crumpled on the ground. The animals were all gone and every kid in the neighborhood was playing in his pond. The man was furious and didn't know what to do, so......................

He called the fencemaker to complain that his expensive fence wasn't working right, because part had fallen down and the gate was broken. Now all his animals were gone and the kids were everywhere and he didn't know what to do.

The fencemaker was very kind, but he told the man that he couldn't do anything, because the fence was no longer as it was designed and built and that since the man felt he knew more about fences than the fencemaker, then..........................................
Old 08-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Inactive User

Does the truck have an EGR valve or no? I had a car a few years back that had the same symptoms and it ended up being the EGR valve. Just a thought. But, just because the truck is modified, shouldnt mean the dealer cant try to diagnose it, besides, the codes that you get from the ignition trick are pretty vague usually and dont help all that much most of the time. It needs to be put on a regular diag machine.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:38 AM
Banned

Thanks Dick.
May I note that these mods have been present for years, and the problem just started recently.
I should have known not to ask for advice here.

Yes, it does have EGR, and it is closed.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:58 AM

Sorry, TK, I thought you might enjoy the story, since you build fences.

What do the codes tell you? How do you know it is running rich? Have you checked your fuel rails and injectors? How about a fuel pump pressure test? Could you have some crappy gas?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Banned

I did enjoy the story, I was just crabby, this is only the second thing I have ever not been able to figure out. This and a heater motor in a 74 240D mercedes, how does it come out anyway?
the codes are a battery disconnect (in the last 50 cycles)
the 37 is a TC open or shorted circuit. This code has been there since I installed the hot rod computer 7 years ago.
And 14 is a Map sensor voltage to high or to low.
This one popped up after I changed the MAP sensor, but it still runs the same.
As far as the rich, black smoke out the pipe.
And, I first thought maybe it was fuel related, It had a 1/8th of a tank when it started, so I put two bottles of Isopropyl, ran it about 10 miles, and filled it up with premium.
Not a damn difference, other that after I let it sit, it got so bad that you cant even really drive it.
Another thing, wich makes me think it is a sensor somewhere screwing up? It seems to have a 3500 rpm rev limiter now, instead of 6000.
I think I just need to get a new computer, but I would hate to do that and it still not be fixed.
This morning, I checked the distributer drive bushing in the block, and it is somewhat loose, I am wondering if it is failing. Usually they dont cause this much trouble, just a bit of burping when they go. But, you never know.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Inactive User

FUEL PUMP!
That is exactly what happened when my fuel pump went out.
I was told to put a mopar one back in as the Napa type just dont last.
Just put a guage on the rail and see what it has for pressure. that will tell ya.
And maybe you got bad gas, I know what your thinking, for what it costs nowadays, it had better be good, but maybe someone is adding a little something to increase profits, Why else did you put two bottles of iso in it?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Banned

Yours ran rich when the fuel pump went out?

The last two just would die going down the road.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:26 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetruckboy
so I put two bottles of Isopropyl, ran it about 10 miles, and filled it up with premium.
Not a damn difference, other that after I let it sit, it got so bad that you cant even really drive it.
Did you know that this type of alky is 90% water ?? Read the bottle next time.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Banned

It works getting the water out dwc.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:48 AM
Banned

Biggrin

It's only 10% alky, it's already saturated so it wont soak up anything.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:32 AM
Banned

Nope, I have a can here, it sais 70% Isopropyl Alcohol :flip:
Old 08-22-2005, 03:32 AM
Inactive User

It ran just like that when it went out, as for rich or what not I have no clue.
I could get it to run and then it would idle, as soon as I picked up the gas it kinda fluttered like it was being governed, So as soon as I get it to the nearest town I had a buddy that worked at the dodge dealership check everything. The codes it gave were so vague it didnt make sense so Then he said for s and giggles lets check the pressure. sure sheet, thats what it was. kinda acted like it was out of gas you know.
Hopefully you get it figured out.