Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-26-2003, 08:08 PM
Inactive User

Help ABS/Brake light on w/speedo probs:

I was driving around on a dirt road today and when I got to the street I noticed that my abs and brake lights were on. Also, when I dropped below 30 mph the speedometer went to 0mph and stays there until I went above 30. When I got home I looked at the bottom of the truck to see if there was a stick somewhere or something, but there wasn't anything there. I then looked at the abs controller and pcm to see if there was a loose connection or something, no dice there... I was driving on a pretty rough road and going rather quickly, so I am worried I jiggled something a little too hard. My truck is a 99 2.5 manual, with front ABS only, but it does look like there is a wheel sensor in the top of the differential. Any help would be great because I don't want to be getting tickets in my area as there are a ton of 25 mph zones.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

I had the exact same problem, sounds like there's a problem with the rear wheel speed sensor on top of the differential. HTH
Old 05-27-2003, 03:07 AM
Inactive User

Is this something that's going to need to be replaced, or can I clean it, or what? If it's just that sensor, then why does it affect the speedometer? Thanks
Old 05-27-2003, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

I have a 2000 Dak and my ABS and Brake Light have been on. They go off every now and then, so I suspect that my sensor is bad also, but I have never had any problems with the speedo (or the brakes) Is there any way to verify that the sensor on top of the diff is the problem?
Old 05-27-2003, 09:46 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Well, I don't claim to be an expert but I can tell you what I do know for certain. From what I have seen on this board this is a fairly common problem. The sensor sends a signal to the speedo, when the sensor goes bad the ABS and BRAKE lights come on and the speedo malfunctions (at least every time I have read about it). Make sure there isn't a bad connection somewhere. If the sensor is bad it shouldn't be expensive to replace. If I remember correctly the sensor itself costs about $35. That's about all I know. Sorry 00Dak, I honestly don't know if the sensor is your problem, hopefully someone more knowledgeable on this topic will chime in here. You guys can try a search, there's a lot of info on this topic here. Wish I could help more.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:33 PM
Inactive User

Default Scan it

If you know someone with a Snap-on scanner or any GOOD scanner with up to date Carts it will the tell you if the Speed sensor it not sending the right votage to the computer..
What you have on the new trucks is kinda like a crank trigger and the the winding goes bad in the sensor it will send the wrong signal if any signal at all.. in most you can actually drive down the road with the scanner to see what voltages are being given to the computer..With you 99 the computer may have a failsafe to bypass the sensor and have a backup that may operate off of the front sensors to give you a speedo reading..
Some people charge for a scan some dont..
You can even go to a local auto parts and they may have an ABS toubleshooter but they usually just give codes then you have to find out what the mean..The Snap-on may even tell you if there is a service bulletin for common problems like you all are describeing..Like my dad ZR2 blazer had a recall on the Hazzard switch in the column so the only brake light that worked was the third..(dont mean to talk about chevy just an example)
Old 05-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Inactive User

I don't know what is going on, but I think that since it is a common problem, then I will go ahead and change the sensor. Worst case I am out 35 bucks and 30 min. I know that it is not kicking out a code because I have checked the codes repeatedly (I got a Crankshaft Position Sensor on the fritz also, but I got over 70K on the truck already)
Old 05-31-2003, 10:21 PM
Inactive User

Default ABS Troubleshooter

If your scanner doesnt have a ABS troubleshooter it may not show a code but if you have a ABS light on there is a code stored in the computer telling you why.. unless its like a 90 or something..but hey give it a shot..just trying to help
Old 06-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Inactive User

i have a 99 dak sport v6 5 speed. im having the same exact problem. the abs and brake light stay on and the speedo doesnt work til i get over 30mph. im not gettng any codes from the scanner. also when im coming to a stop sign or slowing down, when i put it in neutral it will either stall and almost go dead or it will go dead all together. to keep it from dying on me i either pump the gas when i put it in nuetral or i leave it in 4th til i slow down enough for it to almost stall then i put it in neutral. it only seems to do that when the fuel light is on, but if i have more than half a tank of gas it doesnt do it so much. i was thinking it might be the fuel pump but i took a look at the air filter and instead of just being dusty and dirty, it was oily and dirty. if anyone knows of anything to fix this, let me know. i am getting ticked of at the thing going dead everytime i come to a stop.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:16 PM
Inactive User

Default Dealer

I would check with the dealer to see if maybe there is a recall..If your not getting a code or anything maybe there is a computer problem..In the ABS unit itself or the brain...