Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Inactive User

Default Torque boxes: Worth it?

Hi, has anyone installed these and noticed any difference in handling? They usually come in a set of four and are really supposed to reduce body roll. I've already added a front and rear swaybar, so would this make much of a difference?

Auto Rust Technicians talk a lot about these on their website.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Inactive User

well, they supposedly increase chassis rigidity by triangulating and reinforcing the corners of our subframes on the unibody structures. this makes sense to me, as he factory did it on convertables to help with the rigidity due to no roof structure. my opinion is, that after 30+ years, ungodly miles, and the abuse that most owners gave these cars, strengthening anything may not be a bad idea. it may only bring it back up to a factory level of rigidity, but thats better than before.
mike
Old 11-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Inactive User

I've got them on my Valiant (2-door post car), and although I'm sure they help, I can't say that I noticed a difference. I installed the ART subframe connectors first, and they made a HUGE difference. I used to think my little post car was pretty rigid, but apparently it wasn't. I used the 2x2 SFC's, since I can't penetrate the floor boards due to the rules of the autocross class I race in. However, since torque boxes were OE on verts and hemi/6-pk cars, they're legal for me. Every little bit helps... Also, FWIW, on my A-body, even the 2x2 SFC's are supposed to penetrate the floor boards, but I rearranged things a bit (and dimpled the floor) to make it work without.

If you don't already have SFC's, you can do a neat experiment and let us all know how well the torque boxes work before doing the SFC's. IMHO, the best bang for the buck is the SFC's, though.

Clair
Old 11-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Inactive User

agreed. sfc's first, torque boxes second, tube frame third
Old 11-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Inactive User

Yes, I already have sfc's and front and rear sway-bars, but I figured as long as my underbody isn't completely finished, I still have time to add some torque boxes....
Old 11-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Banned

Biggrin

The tq bones wont make much of a diff, but the sub frame connectors or a roll cage will work wonders.