Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:13 PM

Exclamation eyeballing rust

If you work on rusty old cars, chances are you use a grinder, so after my third trip to an ER to have metal removed from my eye, here's my 2 cents on eye safety. Yes, I was wearing eye protection all 3 times, a full face shield the first time, cheapo safety glasses the 2nd time and premium ones this time. The first time I was wearing gloves, all finished grinding, removed the mask and wiped my brow with the glove, flipping a piece of metal into my eye. Lesson #1, wear hand protection, but be careful what you do with contaminated items. The last 2 times I was using the typical polycarbonate glasses, but chips managed to fly around them and bounce in. If you are using these I strongly recommend using doubled duct tape or self sticking foam insulation to block the space between your face and the glasses. Personally, I was just checking out the brazing goggles in my Princess Auto ( much like Harbor Freight in the US) and I can get the ones with the 2x4 lense for $7. Pretty cheap set of eyes. I plan to set up a couple pair around my bench grinder and drill press with the glass lens on the outside ( less pronet to pitting) and the polycarbonate one inside ( to protect against glass shards if the outside one breaks). I was lucky enough that none of these errant peices of flying metal hit the lense of my eye, so no lasting effects... heed the warning or you may not be as lucky.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:10 PM

I remember more than once back in my head porting days flipping a chunk of metal just under the safety glasses or goggles that I was wearing. Worst occasion was when I was porting an aluminum manifold, that I couldn't get out of my eye with a magnet and the chips are much sharper, like needles. I'd recommend a face shield AND goggles, that may sound like too much but you only need to get unlucky once.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 AM

That might work too... but I still think a pair of goggles that fit tight to your face is the best answer. Laying on an ER bed with a bright light shineing in your eye ( when it's sore and light sensitive) , getting it froze ( which stings like hell) and then having to hold your eye open while somebody picks at it with a horse needle is not my idea of a good time. I've had my 3 strikes and I thought I was being careful...now I'm not taking any chances.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

I've had to have pieces picked out with the giant needle twice in the past, despite having safety glasses on. No problems since going to wearing safety glasses + full-face shield. I tried goggles, but they fogged up always.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 PM

I got one of these many years ago...

The fun starts when the metal begins to rust.

And watching the doctor's efforts to get the stuff out is no fun either!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 PM

Yep...that happened to me the 2nd time. The first Dr. saw the big chunk and took it out, but the little flecks he didn't notice started to rust a week later and just about drove me nuts ( no comments from the peanut gallery please). I had to go to a larger hospital where they could use ultraviolet to see the little peices... that's where I spent 5 hrs this Tuesday to get it checked out before it rusted this time. New goggles I got look like something the paintballers would use, I'll post a pic later.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 PM

Well... I was wearing the new goggles on Monday and ended up back in the ER anyway. Seems they have little hooded vents on top that can fill up with filings...tip your head the right way and in they go. As noted above they do fog, so vents are needed, but I taped up the top one anyway. I'm using little strips of tape to stop direct entry through the bottom ones. It;s not like I was letting the sparks hit me in the face either, because that would just be plain dumb and painful too. I really can't afford an instant replay so today I had my taped up goggles and a sandblaster's hood over my head....what's next? A used NASA spacesuit??
Old 10-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Inactive User

ok guys sounds like you got lucky . about the worst I got was a piece of slag in my eye probably 20 yrs ago got it out later that day wasnt big but felt huge in my eye . Than now that I need glasses to read a Doc was lookin at my eyes said my eye was scratched . But eye safety is important wont feel so safe with just safety glasses anymore