Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 01:26 AM
Inactive User

E-Strong, I guess 68 would have been way to late for the letter 'E'! I think at one point they stopped the sequential lettering, did'nt they? I agree the 63 J 413 would be way cool, too! But 68 was a good year! In fact the .030 over 440 in my Chally was made in 68 and came in a New Yorker!

But to get back on Topic, I agree that it would be a good idea to buy the heads from an engine builder so that they are checked out first. I dont think Hughes would be my first choice. But if you go to this link:

www.magnumHP.com

I think you could purchase the Edlebrock heads with confidence and at a cost as low or lower than anywhere else. Greg at Magnum High Performance will see that you get the best heads possible.

btw, me(Magnum440) and MagnumHP are not affiliated in any way, just a coincidence.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:48 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Magnum,
Thanks for clarification !
I first thought you were Greg Z (from the other board) now that you advertized his business..........guess not..

E strong,
68 Chrysler 300 started with 4100 lbs, really ??
Some b-bodys weigh more !!

Kimmo
Old 09-14-2002, 01:55 AM
Inactive User

KM, He seems like a real straight up guy,dont you think? I know if I was in the market for some Eddies, he'd be my first call! But I am simply refering E Strong to Gregs business, not advertizing for him.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:09 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Yes,
I agree.He is very active on the other board.I do know very many guys who has bought stuff (for example E-heads) from him.I do not remember one bad word about his business !
Good guy in my book.

Kimmo
Old 09-14-2002, 10:39 AM

Call me stupid or crazy however, I would prefer to get the heads through a shop whose specialty is machine/head work. Hughes and Dvorak both fall into that catagory, Magnum HP does not. Hughes and Dvorak know what to look for in problems with the EB heads. I doubt that Magnum would even open the box, before shipping it to the customer.
Old 09-14-2002, 11:24 AM
Inactive User

MagnumHP is a small concern that is very customer oriented. Probably 80% depenedent on word of mouth. So customer satisfaction is job 1 and there are no "hidden" charges. I dont think you can say that about Hughes or Dvorak. Not saying you dont have a point, but you will pay for the higher profile shop's work. If I was going to have porting work done that would be different. Greg does farm the heads out for porting and the man that does that is equally competent and trustworthy(and reasonable).

Again, I'm not saying I would not like to use hughes or Dvorak, they just would'nt be my first call.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:09 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation Aluminum Heads

Thanks for all the advice and links. I checked out the Hughes site and the $885 was for trade in price. Not a very good deel for me. I would have to find a set of heads to send them. My car is a # matching 68 Cyrysler 300, yes 4100 lb. before Aluminum intake, water pump and housing, etc. My heads have been milled .010"
I had new hardened valve seats and bronze guides installed, plus some porting and polishing, so I couldn't trade them in.
MagnumHP price is good, but I was thinkin' Mancini's. I have done business with them before and their turn around time is fast. I guess I could have been a little more clear on my eason for wanting Aluminum Heads. 1st they allow more compression ( 10.5 ) on pump gas. 2nd they have the bigger valves 2.14" & 1.81". 3rd they help a little in the weight loss (a long term goal of mine is to get the car down to B-Body weight). 4th they are a lot easier to port (I have my own templates).I also believe the articles by Herb McCandless, that these heads will give you 57 H.P. out of the box. Thanks again and if you have any more advice or links to share please feel free to post them. Oh yea, the last Letter series 300 was the 65 300L. I don't consider the new 300m a true muscle car, or worthy of the 300 badge, because the 300 stands for H.P. The first 300 in 1955 had 300 H.P. and if they want to use the name they should give it an engine with 300+ H.P. , like the new Hemi, Right! babble, babble! Sorry!

Quick Claims Adjuster!!!
Old 09-14-2002, 10:51 PM

What I am getting at, is that a good quality machine shop (ie. Hughes or Dvorak), if requested, will properly inspect the heads (at no cost) before shipping them to the customer. If they find a problem with the heads, they will work directly with EB to get the problem resolved (at no cost to the customer). If you go through a place like Magnum, they will charge you extra to send the heads to a machine shop and have them inspected.

If you don't have the heads inspected, before you take delivery, then any problems found will be between you and EB. EB will want you to pay round trip shipping, so they can make it right. This has happened to Dart_440.

That is why I recommend getting the heads through a quality machine shop.

Mancini, Magnum, Hughes, and Dvorak are all within $50 of each other on the price of the EB heads. Hughes and Dvorak will inspect the heads at no additional cost. If there is a problem, Hughes and Dvorak will take it up with EB. Magnum and Mancini will not do this. The gamble is yours to take.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:52 AM
Inactive User

Ed, I agree with what your saying, except, as an engine builder, MagnumHP would be able to inspect the heads and determine what if anything(valves not seating, casting issues, etc.,)was wrong with them. As far as any additional costs, I dont know for sure, but my bet is the heads dont leave his shop unless they are quality and in print. But I'll see if I can get Greg to post here. I'd rather he spoke for himself, than me trying to.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:13 AM

My vote, here is for the Edelbrock, over anyone's steel stuff. By the time you get any of the iron heads, to where the out-of-the-box Edelbrocks are, they are already getting thin.

Magnum440, I, too, have always had the best service, from small shops. As a general rule, the owner should be easy to get on the phone, and better yet, if there is a 50/50 chance that he answers it, in the first place.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:50 AM
Inactive User

moeflo, I used a Very small shop(not magnumHP,tho) And talked on the phone for hours with him. He listened to my every idea or question. And bent over backwards to please me! The other "high profile"shops--and we all know who they are-dont do that or, at best,are inconsistant in their customer service.IMHO
Closed Thread