Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Ebay Auction Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 PM

Wink

Ebay's ever increasing fees & paypal are going to launch somebody into creating a competitive service, w/ lower fees. Do you think they are concerned about Craig's list ? I bet they are. I hope it keeps on growing & getting better. It's a pleasure to buy something & not get knicked by a seller inflating his shipping fees to cover his Paypal & seller fees
Old 09-20-2008, 12:58 AM
Inactive User

ebay has a free ad site to compete with craigslist... I use CL all the time for anything i want to get rid of, I also use the Recycler on line... I forget the name of ebay's free ad site... it's a silly name...
Old 10-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Inactive User

I look at Ebay as a necessary Evil to some extent. I have a lot of stuff that can only find a market on Ebay. Craigslist buyers want something for nothing. You will not get a response unless you are practically giving it away.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
Ebay's ever increasing fees & paypal are going to launch somebody into creating a competitive service, w/ lower fees. Do you think they are concerned about Craig's list ? I bet they are. I hope it keeps on growing & getting better. It's a pleasure to buy something & not get knicked by a seller inflating his shipping fees to cover his Paypal & seller fees
All good points, if you ask me.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Swinger View Post
Well, Ive been looking at Craigs List lately and I like it except for the Search is not as comprehensive as ebag's. Maybe they will upgrade it at some point.
Craigslist rocks. Use www.crazedlist.org with firefox (if you dont have it, get it just for this) and you can scan the entire USA. It takes a few minutes but its worth it. Many people dont really like selling outside their neighborhoods as Craigslist was designed for, but if you provide then with a phone number. it makes it a little easier. No buyer/seller protection, but try disputes on Ebay. Might as well pound sand; From Paypal "You won the arbitration case but their is nothing in his PAYPAL account to refund you...sorry. " That, and a few other parts sites and stuff flies off your garage floor. Sold a set of pushrods in 1 day after sitting on Ebay for 6 with no interest, and you are usually dealing with motorheads, not the " I got this in an auction lot so I dont know what it is or if it works" bozo.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

I have to agree with you they take one heck of a cut out plus Ebay also takes their cut. I think it wqas wrong alot people I know that was selling parts didn't use paypal so they wont be comming back to EBay to sell kinda of suck. Their was alot people not using it they just want make sure they don't have deal with money problems just get their money. Totall crap.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Inactive User

Yeah but craglist also has its problems people think some item is worth thousands when it is actuall is worth 500 at the most.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Inactive User

I think the best way to try sell an item is on the forms or I know hate say it EBay. I have sold just as much items through Ebay. Their cost are higher so I just don't see why same person would want to buy the part from you with out EBay and their cost?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Inactive User

Like I said before. Ebay is a necessary Evil.
I have a bunch of old audio equipment (pro PA amps) that I really don't need anymore. I can't "crank it up" like I use to because my wife complains and also I'm getting old and my hearing is starting to go.
There is really no way I can get the actual value back other than Ebay.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Inactive User

Default Re

I hear you brother it does suck but like you said some times a man or a women gottas do what they gotta do.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW.

Ebay owns Craigslists. They purchased a controlling share.

My love/hate relationship with Ebay is turning to a Hate/Hate one. I sold just a few items last month, lost money on all of them. Got a Bill from Ebay for $20. Insult to injury.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Inactive User

Default wow

I know what you mean first EBay takes their cut the so does paypal. It like hitting you twice for one part. I didn't know about craglist info that sucks next they will be asking for money to. I am thinking little . maybe you guys right maybe we the minority need to start up different company and beat them at their own game. I am in keep me posted.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:44 PM

it took 2 days to get paid thru pay pal for my item i sold. the it took a week to get my money transfered from paypal to my bank account. they say sell anything fast on ebay. i some cool mopar stuff that has just sat there and not sold. oh well.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:57 AM
Inactive User

I agree with alot you guys have said. I don't use eBay alot anymore but being from Canada it does open up alot of options for me both as a seller and buyer. Somethings I just can't get locally and I hate phoning up a company and giving some minimum wage punk my Visa info and hope my part gets shipped, no way to for any recourse if they don't.

I've had two bad experiences with paypal as a buyer, after I've recieved the part and left PF for it, paypal has told the seller I've requested a refund and they've taken the money out of the sellers account and told them they've returned the money to me. Both times I've nerver requested that or filed any sort of claim and the money was not returned to me. I had to go to bat for the seller to get his money back for him. The last time I got a email from paypal saying because of my 100% feedback they returned the money to the seller, it was worded like they were doing a big favour for us. The first time was a few years ago and I forget all the details but it was simialer.

I have to admitt alot of the fun has gone out of eBay but I still use it. I live in a fairly small town and trying to sell some of my stuff locally is not realistic. I've a 305 feedback and probably closer to 400 transaction and only a couple of bad deals. I've only sold maybe 20 or so items but all but 2 went to the States or overseas and eBay is about the only way that will work for me. I'd be very reluctant to buy anything major off a site like this from somebody I don't know and no recourse what so ever if I don't get the part.

The one thing that really bugs me is seller can't leave NF. I understand that buyers might have been reluctant to leave NF in fear of getting undeserved NF but a better way would have been paypal leaving automatice feedback for the buyer when the buyer pays, ie date sold-date paid and I they don't pay the seller could then neg. Only good if paypal is used but better than the system they have now.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Inactive User

Guys, you can still acccept checks, MO's, cash etc on e-bay, but you can't say that's the only payment you will accept. I'm waiting for a check now from an auction that ended a few days ago.

I too don't like the excess fees that keep going up on both e-bay and Pay Pal, and I've not seen anyone mention that Pay Pal is owned by e-bay.

The one good thing about Pay Pal, I do a lot of buying on e-bay, so generally I'll spend the money I take in as purchases before I try to tansfer it to my bank account. It's just too often you really can find a good deal on something for sale on e-bay.

I do miss the old days when e-bay first started up, there weren't as many vendors there, people were selling things they had at home and just sitting there. Sorta like Flea Markets when they first started.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckneccid View Post
Guys, you can still acccept checks, MO's, cash etc on e-bay, but you can't say that's the only payment you will accept. I'm waiting for a check now from an auction that ended a few days ago.
However, you can say that Paypal is the only payment you'll accept, I know it's true because I've ran into it repeatedly. In fact, I'm down to only 2 or 3 sellers I buy from and I've quit using the search engines because I don't need the aggravation of searching to find someone who will accept my money in a form of payment that was perfectly acceptable when I joined.
Now accepting or sending checks? You're a braver man than me!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Inactive User

I sell quite a bit on ebay. It is not pay pal only. You can take money orders or checks. It is against the law to force you to use paypal. That would be extortion. They only encourage you because they own paypal. I put in my listings money orders gladly acepted. No problem what so ever.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black68GTX View Post
I put in my listings money orders gladly acepted. No problem what so ever.
You're a saint among eBayers! Though I've noticed that the amount of Paypal Only folks have dropped some..maybe some finally realized less bids on an auction is a bad thing, imagine that!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:33 PM

. ?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Who said anything about checks? I've used USPO money orders strictly on eBay, without a problem once with them. I'd rather not sent out a check with my account number on it anyway.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:13 PM

. .
Old 02-24-2010, 08:06 PM

Well, I've heard different and I just prefer to keep my info to myself, there's more on there than just account numbers. There's also problems with using checks that are too complicated to get into here.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 PM

. no body wanted to hear what i said. .
Old 02-25-2010, 07:27 PM

Oh Ted, don't be lame. If the power company, or other utilities commit fraud on me, I've got a lot more avenues to pursue then if it's some anonymous internet dirt bag.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:13 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ted View Post
. ?
Quote:
. .
Quote:
. .

Well that's a new low.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:10 AM

One thing I've noticed recently, is a lot of sites are beginning to just to sell things on site instead of eBay. This works well when the site in question has enough members to where eBay isn't really needed. It may be that eBay has successfully priced themselves out of the market, especially with the additional Paypal fees added in.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Inactive User

So I guess Craigs list will be getting more business now. Never tried it but will shortly. It seems like ebay and paypal are under new managemant or they are in bed together. Either way there business will see a big hit if they stay on there current path.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:36 PM

All of them are getting greedy and annoying. Ebay with Paypal has screwed me twice when I got defective/wrong merchindise and the seller says "oh well". Paypals resonse was "You clicked PAY EM and the seller says there is no problem, there's nothing we can do".

Tried to sell my Ramcharger on craiglist and just got 590000 emails and phone calls "Im out of the country, I'll send you a check for more than the selling price and when you get the excess back to me" scams. And when craigslist goes public, you can bet you eye teeth the fees sill increase.

Welcome to the new economy.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Inactive User

Yea, ebay bought Pay Pal a few years ago, double dipping like crazy. That's coming out to close to 6% to sell anything on there.

New site started by a Mopar man, if no one has seen it, it's just getting off the ground, with guaranteed lower fees, might want to check it out.
http://www.bidmotors.com/
Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaman821 View Post
So I guess Craigs list will be getting more business now. Never tried it but will shortly. It seems like ebay and paypal are under new managemant or they are in bed together. Either way there business will see a big hit if they stay on there current path.
I've tried Craigs list several times and have never sold anything. Much better luck with eBay. The fees and PayPal suck, but if you really want to get of stuff...