Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

Default gas miles

i got the best gas miles tips. I own a 1986 dodge with a 318 what i did what cut
have the intake off and plug it the left 4 cylinders timed it and put a small 2 barrel on it in my ram truck i can run 17 gallons gas 2 gallons used filtered oil. i get 35 miles a gallon on the highway. Maybe like some valves used inside the intake so you can alternate between 4 and 8 cylinders? ill take some pictures!! i once new a guy who had a once cylinder 200 horse engine that was really weird wasnt rotary or combustion but he put it in a kit car and could get 100 miles on the highway i think i have some pictures ill have to scan on my computer
Old 02-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Inactive User

Question Just an idea????????????

This has somthing to do with a S. King novel right?

It is the right state.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Inactive User

Default haha

some of its true but the rest is just bull. These are vintage cars not hybrids **** the gas mileage haha. It does suck i own a motorhome with a big block in it. IT SUCKS but these are vintage cars forgetabuot it. but the part with the 200 horse motor in a kit car is true look it up.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Inactive User

Good tips guys thanks with these gas prices i will take all the gas milage i can get
Old 05-22-2008, 01:49 AM
Inactive User

I've doubled my gas milage in both my Ford (sorry ) 390 and a Mope 440 since ascribing to the negative gravitational theory of automotive motion. It works with most any car, turning what was once a guzzler into a lean mass of perpetual motion. Actually, the heavier the car, the more mass, the more cylinders the better. It's hard to believe, but once you're all set up, you can actually get more mileage out of your big block than a bike!
And right now - for a limited time - For only 35.00 - I'll show you how you too can go downhill for almost free!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:58 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-tek View Post
...I'll show you how you too can go downhill for almost free!
Let me guess....shift into neutral and shut off the engine right...ooops i think i just gave away your $35 tip...sorry
Old 05-22-2008, 03:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthorvictor75duster View Post
my question is how do you get water injection to work how do you modify the engine?? and whats the theory behind it???
SORRY I missed this until now ....

In a word .... it is HUMIDITY that makes everything "work". When the fine stream/fog of water hits the hot intake manifold and ports ... it makes the air-fuel mixture go way humid.

And in that humid-condition ...you can run more timing in the motor and actually make a tad more power. Plus the humidity cleans the ports and backs of valves and the combustion chambers over time. Just like steam-cleaning.

I will for-sure have a system on my motorhome that obviously has a large water supply ..on board. Running out-of-water is a major concern ... if the motor combo depends on it.

Then there is the situation of running a heavy alky mix ....to make more-than-a-tad more power. I have no experience with this.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Inactive User

D-oh!! Yes you did.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Inactive User

oh ok lol it sounds interesting, you dont have to wory about the cylinder walls rusting?? i just had my sled rebuilt and the upper cylinder walls were lined with rust due to the turbo not having a proper filter system, snow enters yadda yadda, and rust...
Old 06-01-2008, 04:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthorvictor75duster View Post
oh ok lol it sounds interesting, you dont have to wory about the cylinder walls rusting?? i just had my sled rebuilt and the upper cylinder walls were lined with rust due to the turbo not having a proper filter system, snow enters yadda yadda, and rust...
No ... not if you are running a system that meters the water properly. Under a high-vacuum, low rpm situation(like when you are shutting the motor off) ... there would be no water sprayed into the carb venturi.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Inactive User

-----------
Old 08-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Inactive User

Default Tune up issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stus300 View Post
how so many ferget, but dont ferget the tuneup, dont wait till last minute, cleaner oil and plugs =better mpg...

mine goes down hill within the last 200 miles..always...
I just did a mini-tune..plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air/oil filter,oil change...PROBLEM....I have one spark plug wire that will NOT stay connected.It's driving me nuts. I check it every time I get ready to start up, and I'll be hornswaggled if the danged thing isn't unplugged....I don't get it....I have practically REAMED the damned thing on the plug...it just won't stay.

this is a '68 318 30 over from a Duster, dumped into a Valiant (trust me guys, this girl loves it, but she needs help, and I am NO auto mechanic). I picked up the Don Taylor "How to Rebuild Small-Block Mopar Engines" and she has become my new hobby, but the book says nothing about a spark plug wire that won't behave.

Just wondering if anyone can suggest why this stupid spark plug wire keeps coming undone....the other 7 appear to be fine....could it just be something as simple as a faulty wire? The wires that were on her had been there for the 5 years she sat and rusted, and as soon as I changed it this has become a problem.

I don't know if there is a standard way to number the spark plugs, but this one is on the drivers side, closest to the windshield...it's at a crappy angle, but I shouldn't have any problems putting a wire on.

I have Googled this question until I am blue in the face-Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:30 AM
Inactive User

I would replace all the wires. You siad they havent been replaced in 5 years? Just get a set of Accel, you can get the universal and cut them to a custom legnth. They wont fall off then.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigormortor View Post
I would replace all the wires. You siad they havent been replaced in 5 years? Just get a set of Accel, you can get the universal and cut them to a custom legnth. They wont fall off then.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I did replace the wires. The problem didn't begin until after I changed them. The ones that were on for the 5 years it sat didn't have this problem.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyra_mo View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I did replace the wires. The problem didn't begin until after I changed them. The ones that were on for the 5 years it sat didn't have this problem.
Try, with a pair of pliers crimping the metal connector smaller so it will be
real tight on the spark plug tip. Thats all I can think of, usually the rubber boot holds the wire onto the plug.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Inactive User

Thanks Rigor....I kind of thought it was a problem with the wire itself...I don't remember what brand I bought but it probably wasn't made in America.

I just wanted to make sure no one had heard of this as a problem with something else before I tried that. I'll try your suggestion, I'm sure it will do the trick!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:25 PM

Just making a note, I just hit 24 mpg tonight with my 2000 Grand Caravan, first time it's done that since I drove it to Florida when I first got it in early 2001.
I didn't change my driving style much, just cruised easy, also it was a round trip from my gas station to taking my daughter out to eat, then returning in just under 100 miles. I was thinking the ole minivan would never do that well again, but it goes to show all the stop and go, plus idling to warm up makes a difference! BTW, it has just over 112,000 miles at this writing.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 PM

My 1994 Voyager 2.5L gets 23 mpg on short trips, and as high as 27 mpg on long trips. Always at 55mph. At interstate speeds mileage drops to 19 mpg.

Easy on the throttle and slower speeds trying to keep the rpms around 2,000 seems to me the key to good fuel economy.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by namvet67a1f
SORRY I missed this until now ....
Not by as much as I missed it!

This relates to a question about water injection, if you go back to the top of this page:

Quote:
In a word .... it is HUMIDITY that makes everything "work". When the fine stream/fog of water hits the hot intake manifold and ports ... it makes the air-fuel mixture go way humid.

And in that humid-condition ...you can run more timing in the motor and actually make a tad more power. Plus the humidity cleans the ports and backs of valves and the combustion chambers over time. Just like steam-cleaning.

I will for-sure have a system on my motorhome that obviously has a large water supply ..on board. Running out-of-water is a major concern ... if the motor combo depends on it.

Then there is the situation of running a heavy alky mix ....to make more-than-a-tad more power. I have no experience with this.[/b]
The water 'injection' systems I've seen have all been a simple small diameter tube running to a very small pipe that comes into the manifold just inside the butterfly. At the water supply end there is a row of tiny holes in a similar piece of pipe (maybe ⅛" OD) so that you can adjust the flow of water by allowing more or less air to enter the system.

If you run out of water, you simply get a little bit more air. It's never going to be enough to run the engine lean.

I found I got maybe 1.5mpg improvementwith one of these systems years ago.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Inactive User

I dont remember seeing tire size on here? Stay close to stock on the tire size bigger heavier tires and wheels means more power used to turn the wheel which means more fuel
Old 04-13-2011, 02:55 AM
Inactive User

Turn the car of down hills
Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK View Post
some driving tips here, instead of going balls to the wall all the way to the red light, and then hitting the brakes, try coasting, you save a lil fuel by using your momentum, not to mention your brakes. another thing, rpm has almost nothing to do with efficiency, it all has to do with vacuum, dont be afraid to drop it in a lower gear, other than run half throttle to climb a hill, you are getting better economy that way.
also (learned riving truck) let the road do the work whenever possible, if you accelerating down a hill, why get on the gas? if you going down a hill to climb another one, keep the throttle the same, pick up speed going down the hill, and roll up the othe side, using momentium as you friend!

I completely agree with downshifting especially! its like some of these vehicles are designed to drink up gas when they could drive differently. My wife hates the way I shift her rav 4 automatic 4spd . but it wants to bog higher gears with the throttle burried in the floor, killing mpg! if you don't believe look at a car with a computer that reads your mpg in real time. Watch it read out as you change driving styles. you will see this is correct.

thankz all
Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Inactive User

Confused economy

Just wanted to add that a vaporizer carb can get 200mpg. but don't make one or they'll kill you!