Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:08 PM

Well by 2016 I might actually get started on it. Not many plans at this point other than a rough sketch in my head as to where it's going. Right now getting the new shop heated and functional is the top priority. I was hoping to pour more concrete in what used to be my farrowing barn this summer but that won't be happening until spring now. The forecast is for snow to start tomorrow so I might be done breaking things in the field for the year.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:33 PM

My friend in Spokane has one of those A-body 2.76:1 8¼ rear ends if you're happy to wait until 2016 for me to afford you free freight on it to Manitoba.

I have been to Manitoba already but I didn't see much. It would be interesting to see an operating farm there.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:24 AM

LOL... we'll see where I'm at. I'd like to use the 8 3/4 or the older 8 1/4 just because they "look" older... moot point when I'm cheating on suspension anyway, but I think it would make it a better cheater. Pulling drums doesn't scare me because I doubt that I'll be doing it more than once anyway. I might go with a late model if economics dictate the build though. I would think 2.76 would be too high with tall tires. I haven't sat down and figured out the difference in circumference yet, or how that will impact top speeds, but it seems to me the Currie's site (they sell 9" rears) had a conversion chart for figuring that out. The 4 speed will give me a lower first gear, but I assume 4th will still be 1:1. If these motors were originally built for a 3.90, even going with taller tires will probably give me something like a 3.75 equivalent. I would think that would still give decent performance off the line and keep me in the 25mpg+ range for cruising. Lowering cruising rpm's too much would make it pretty gutless for passing in high gear, and slow it down at the traffic lights.
All that being said, there's an open invitation if you want to tour the local farming country. I'm about 2 hrs SW of Winnipeg, about 30 miles from the American border.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:10 PM

3.9 with the factory overdrive of 0.7:1 is 2.73:1.

The NP435, which I'd think is similar to the box you have, sports a first gear ratio somewhere between 4.5 and 6:1. Fortunately, they mostly have a fairly close step between third and top gears.

If you have a chance during the coming cold months, why not check the ratios of the box you have and let us know?

I would be gearing to suit the top gear open-road running, you have third if necessary for around town and you are going to be well ahead in the weight department.

The '62 and '63 B-body rear ends can be readily modified to enable the tapered hubs to remain on the axles and use removable later model drums.

Just how tall a tyre are you thinking?
Old 11-08-2014, 03:51 AM

I was thinking 18 - 20" wire wheels... but I haven't researched the tire/wheel availability until I get a better handle on what bolt pattern I am looking at.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:24 PM

Perhaps a 30" rolling diameter?

What was the original tyre diameter? Just looking at some resources I see that anything from 3.9 to 4.3:1 was supplied with the 0.7:1 overdrive, anything from 3.73 to 4.1:1 came with non-overdrive boxes in the early fifties cars.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:30 PM

Just for reference, here's an online tyre size calculator...

http://www.cargister.com/calculator-tire

...it gives the revolutions per km or mile as well as diameter, but it's only radial sizes.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:18 PM

If it's a runner, I'll probably end up putting radials on it anyway...even if they don't look correct.... depending on size availabilities. Coker makes a lot of oddball sizes for these cars, but they tend to be very expensive and I've heard some grumbling about the quality of their tires. Look pretty for the show, but apparently not always so great on the go.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:36 PM

There would, of course, be plenty of 16" rubber to suit, high profile stuff as well...
Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 AM

For sure in the wider sizes. I'm thinking most of the wire wheels won't be much more than 4" wide... that's going to narrow down the field significantly. If it gets to be too big of an issue for my 0 budget it might end up with steelies instead.