Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Home Improvement

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Inactive User

Default Electric oddity....

So, this is happening in my parents' ceiling fan in the kitchen. It's your standard 3-light fan with speed control, forward/reverse, lights on/off, etc. Recently, one of their bulbs burnt out, and these incadescent-type bulbs are getting harder to find. They don't want to use CFL's, so I suggested they go with LED's. I picked up a set of 3 LED lights at Costco, and installed them. There was lotsa light coming out of them and my parents were happy. Then one night, my dad was walking through the kitchen and noticed that all three bulbs had a slight glow to them. The switch was off, so he turned it on. The lights came on as per usual. He turned the switch off, and there was still this glow coming out. So, he uncrewed one of the bulbs, and the glow went away. Hmmmm........ It seems that there's a very small amount of electricity coming to the ceiling fan even when the switch is off. I haven't started trouble-shooting it, but will probably try swapping one bulb to install it in another location in the house to check for the same results, and will also take voltage measurements.

Very strange.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 AM

Biggrin

This might help:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...4516727.html?6
Old 04-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the link! I guess it explains why it's happening, but I still don't understand why they would design it in this way. My parents are the type of people who unplug the TV when it's not being used, sooooo, they won't be too thrilled about this power drain. I'm also worried that it drastically reduces the life of the bulb as stated in the link. They're supposed to last 10x longer than regular bulbs, but if they're on all the time....