Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:04 AM

Default !

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted. Lots happening in my personal life and haven't done any racing in about 4 years. My question is this: in IMCA modifieds with the hard tire, tracks catering to the Crate engines, and promoters not working the tracks like they used to is horsepower as important as it once was? I have had this discussion with a few people and it seems to me that as long as you're in the 500hp/500tq range you're in the ballpark. The chassis set-up and I'll even go as far as to say Chassis manufacturer is more important to winning races these days. I have a friend who has been racing modifieds for about 10 years now, 6 in the SportMod class, and the past 4 in the IMCA modified class. He has a newer Skyrocket chassis and races in Minnesota. The track is a long, sweeping 1/2 mile and the promoter never works the track. It is a dust bowl in hotlaps. If they water, they put the water on top of the already packed surface and it does little other than run off the bottom. He was struggling to run top 5 for about 3 years, and had an idea. If he could lighten up his engine and de-tune to get around 540hp/540tq he would be competitive. He ran this set-up this year and was top 5 just about every week, even finishing second a number of times to Kelly Schryock, Brandon Beckendorf, and company on many occasions. He said that the car responded better, and his power was way smoother, more driveable, and he was able to keep up with the crates with his open motor. He is a Chebby guy who put his Dart ported heads on the shelf in favor of a pair of Vortec heads that were hand-ported by his buddy. So all of this said, do we think a 360 (or even a 340) with either a pair of J-heads or original EQ Ch318B heads would be in the ballpark hp and weight-wise? What do you think?

Tags
ballpark , chassis , heads , set-up , top