Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-09-2001, 04:52 AM

Im getting new exhaust next monday on my 3.5L and the mechanic at the shop mentioned that getting dual exhuast wouldn't help much and the best thing to do was to keep the existing muffler and just run a straight pipe from the cat to the muffler, removing the large resonator. I agreed since he said the muffler on it wouldn't perform much different from a flowmaster except for sound (he said some flowmasters even perform worse then the stock muffler, to my supprise). So i know a few of you have upgraded your exhaust and I just wanna see what the best options would be. I'm kinda inclined to keep the existing muffler since romoving the resonator will only cost $25 and it takes less than an hour.
Old 01-09-2001, 05:49 PM

I have a 96 intrepid 3.5L and I had the resonator and muffler cut off so I have a straight pipe from the cat to a cherry bomb turbo muffler. The sound is great, however I noticed a loss of low-end torque (not a good thing for an OHC motor). But accelleration from 30 mph and up is better. I think that the stock muffler with no resonator is your best bet.
Old 01-09-2001, 08:28 PM

Ya that what I was thinking too. The mechanic said he just put a flowmaster 70 series on a 2001 Durango with the 4.7L and he said it lost power.
Old 01-10-2001, 03:48 PM

I have a '95 Intrepid ES 3.5l, and I've tried a few setups with the exhaust. The first I tried was resonator with no muffler...a little louder, not much improvement. I also tried no resonator, no muffler, straight pipe from cat back, it sounded amazing but I lost a bit of low end which was made up around 3000rpm and higher. My present setup which I recommend to anybody with these cars, is straight pipe from the cat back, remove both the resonator and stock muffler, and get a $17 Thrush California Boss Turbo muffler. Has a sweet sound when you romp on it and more kick across the rpm range... That and it isn't loud, at all, unless you hammer it...then you get a nice throaty roar.

Sam