Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-26-2001, 05:13 AM

Default dual point distributor questions

ok my engine doesn't have a distributor and i can get a dual point distributor for 15 bucks rather than a single point. what is the advantages/disadvantages of a dual point distributor rather than a single point? does it require anything special or does it hook up the same as a single point? the motor is a small block 360.
Old 08-26-2001, 10:58 AM
Inactive User

You would need a 5 pin ECU instead of the regular 4 pin and a 4 terminal ballast resistor instead of the regular two pin. You would need to do some wiring and once you have all this togeather in about 5 months when you want to improve your performance with a MP Distributor kit you would remove everything and throw it in the garbage. Bin there done that. There is a reason dodge dropped the dual pickup, they don't work that good and are prone to just quiting for no particular reason. My dad has a fleet of dodge trucks that he runs for his business and after the 5th truck quit he changed all 14 trucks back to just the single pickup style and no more problems. Go to the local wrecker and pick one up for 8 bucks or so and don't go thru the hastles and scratching you head at -10 below in the winter wondering why it won't start. My 2 cents.
Old 08-26-2001, 11:48 AM
Inactive User

Are you talking about point or electronic dual pickup? The point type ignition dual points advantage was increased dwell time which increases the coils charge time. The points are wired together and are positioned with one set offset say 10 degrees. In this case one set is disabled and dwell set at 26,then the oposite set is disabled and set to 26. With the offset figured in you have 36 degrees dwell time.
The electronic dual pickup was not a performance type. I think those were leanburn/electronic timing advance distributers that would be of no use without modification.
Old 08-26-2001, 02:14 PM
Inactive User

I was talking about the Electronic version, I didn't know they made a points setup, see you learn something new everyday. The lean burn version has only one pickup with no vacuum advance unless they came out with a lean burn dual pickup that I am not aware off. All I know was that my dad and I spent alot of time converting back to a normal electronic ignition on our delivery trucks and have no problems with them in years. We have one truck that has 600,000 miles on it and only normal repairs, never been inside the motor other than a timing chain twice and some starters and that's it. And they say dodge doesn't last. I think I will start a new thread and see what kind of miles people have got on there mopar vehicles. Bottom line save yourself headaches and get a single pickup electronic distib.
Old 08-26-2001, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

I had a mallory dual point distributor..no vac advance,adjustable plate and spring rates for a 318. I would agree use the electronic single pickup with vac advance, if this is a 68 valiant that hasnt been converted you will need the wiring harness for the ecu,ecu,balast resister,and dist off a donor car,or buy the harness new at the dealer if you want.
In this day and age we dont need to use points unless for restored cars,which a 68 valiant with 360 wouldnt be. Also remember the ECU must be grounded, I use a seperate ground wire just to be sure.