Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:10 AM

Default Still Racing

Well guy's how many on here are still racing, today I'll admit the last couple of years I have been on the sidelines with my car's, with the exception of a hand full of races. I have been helping some guy's on there cars on dirt since 12, but looks like I'm saddling up for some pavement races this year. How about a roll call, who what and where.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:44 PM

I'm not racing any more but I build an engine now and then plus I'm the head Tech at Perris Auto Speedway. I still get my fix that way plus most of the racers like that the rules are now being enforced. LOL
Old 03-21-2015, 10:20 PM
Inactive User

I retired from 20+ years when my kids started racing but the itch never left .have been doing a little vintage racing in a slant 6 powered 39 plymouth
Old 03-21-2015, 10:55 PM

Thumbs up 2015 Plans

Well, I am working feverishly to prepare two cars, build three engines for other people and two for me. Unfortunately the light at the end of the tunnel appears to be a train!

I plan to run two cars as A modifieds. Both cars are old, but so is the driver. I was going to run one car as a B mod and the other in two A mod classes, but the classes are so far apart that I didn't see how I could use just one engine and get away with it. So I am just going to run both cars as A mods. Both are 3 link cars which goes against current wisdom. Hopefully I can get them both dialed in. Time will tell if I made the right decision.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:51 AM
Inactive User

I was out of the seat since 2001, only occasionally jumping in a car for the hell of it. Been helping my son since then. Got the itch real bad a couple years ago, so I built a 67 Cuda fastback with a big block for a local vintage class in my area.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:17 AM

Well I have noticed the board has been getting thin the last few years, was not sure how many of us was left. I'm going to be make quiet a few runs this year. Just bought a rolling chassis to start a new challenger steel bodied car for the Mid Atlantic Street Stock series run up in the Carolinas still have all my rides. The T bar car the metric and my pro cup and I just added one more. I've been doing some engines for a couple of guy's on dirt also. JC
Old 03-22-2015, 09:46 AM

Took a couple of years off from 2008-2011. Been back running hobby/factory stocks since with track championship in 13 and 14 working on building a new A body car while racing the old bent up one. I try to help any new racers that ask so that keeps me busy.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Inactive User

My son and I are both racing, not a full schedual this year though. The kids in College and i am putting another car together for myself. Sold my old car and will be looking to put the kid in a mod or metric chassis..
Old 03-22-2015, 06:24 PM

I'm still running a few races a year. I haven't run a full schedule since '06 but plan on making about 10-15 nights this year. Have a new 416 that I'm going to try in my IMCA modified on the 1/2 mile in Fairmont, MN. We'll have to see if the chebby boys have anything for it. Have a great season all, and ...........
Old 03-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Inactive User

I'm only running a few races a year, money got tight and I now have 4 grandkids and I'm finding that I have more fun spending my time with them.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:23 AM
Inactive User

Dave, I was just in your area this weekend. We raced casa grande and et. Nice tracks, good car counts. I stopped at mecls and there was a dodge powered super stock there getting a new body put on.
As for me, I work out of town for weeks at a time. I raced my lebaron a few times last year and my mod I only raced five times last year with that stupid crate engine in it. I have a better schedule now that oil prices are low.
I am making a superbird nose for my wing car, also building a 383 for it. I have never raced a big block and my wing car needs nose weight anyways. My mod will get a small block, my other mod has a 410 going in, and im putting the crate into my shaw. Lebaron needs some tlc. My stock car is getting closer each days off to being ready, plan is to race it on the mod tour this year, maybe boone too.
My brother is building a new challenger bodied street stock. Still has his dart he raced last year.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:56 PM

It's good to see as many as there is racing still. I afraid we are the last of the Guard on the Mopar racers.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Inactive User

I am planning on running a full year this year but not sure about next. the track I race is trying to eliminate all built motors and going to the gm602 so that kind of leave me out.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

I'm getting a late start, but I'll be racing a partial season. My work schedule doesn't allow me to race every Saturday. So I'll run when I can.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:30 PM

Default this year ?

2010 was my last full year I have a new pavement car nearly done & have a new

dirt car on the jig but at 57 I am about all out of umph and sure am tired of

racing for the wrapper that the money was supposed to be in
Old 03-23-2015, 11:56 PM

I don't know too much about Mopars in circle track classes, but on the West Coast we have quite a few Chargers, Roadrunners, Darts, Dusters, Challengers, Barracudas and other Mopars from the mid to late '60s and early '70s involved with Bracket Drags, Wednesday and Friday Night Drags and NHRA class racing. New Mopars with the 450 - 600 HP 392 Hemi's are showing up in greater numbers, too. At least Mopar is still going strong at the 1/4-mile strips.

But personally, I'm getting tired at 64 going on 65. I have to sign up for Medicare next month !

As the children get older and involved with their own lives, I get a lot less help in maintaining the race cars,

Mark
Old 03-25-2015, 05:56 PM
Inactive User

The son and I are running the same IMCA stock car we ran last year. It is a 2014 Medieval chassis. Still have the 340 freshened up and built an all brand new 360 for this year. EQ heads, Comp Cam and lifters, Hughes individual rocker arms, Ross pistons, 10.4 to 1 comp. Have 2 of the new manifolds we are required to run (to slow us down) by IMCA. The deal is that I heard someone dynoed the old manifold and the new manifold on the same engine and the new manifold picked up 10-15 hp! That will frost Brett Root(IMCA Pres.) if we are faster this year than last. Last year that Holley manifold was rated to 8400 rpm, which to me was too big for a restricted motor. This Weiand stealth is rated about 6800 rpm and we are limited to 7400rpm. Time will tell.

Dave
Old 03-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Inactive User

I thought the edelbrock was our only option, so i can still use my weiand, sweet.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:41 AM
Inactive User

Still running here in mid mo won 8 out of 9 last year would have won it but rolled a tire off rt front wheel on green white checker in 2 place had to start tailback running hobby stock they are putting us on wider tires this year that should help the ole big block they outlawed me at the other track no big blocks and u could not of won 4 features or a championship have to get me a green card change my name to Ricardo good luck to everyone
Old 03-26-2015, 02:29 AM

Well my 2015 plans took a dive after January 1st.

First I fried my welder while mounting some jacking plates on the front of my super stock. That put me way behind. Then I got a nasty upper respiratory infection (30 days on antibiotics)… and a bad gout episode that left me limping along for two months.

Then my blood pressure went ballistic… I found out when I got my BP checked before I was going to donate blood. Now I'm on a mild BP med and everything is OK.

My back is also shot with three blown out discs (L1 thru L3)… then my Doc tells me I've had a spinal defect since birth that is responsible for most of the problems.

So I went to 30 days of therapy in October and have been walking in the fitness center pool four days per week since just trying to get some pain relief. I have an appointment for the pain management Doc in April.

To make matters worse my bride has been thru hell for the last 1 1/2 years with ulcers and major league stomach pain caused by ultra high gastrin levels in her tummy. Eight tests and surgical procedures later (and about $60K in medical bills!) they have found a tiny tumor adjacent to her pancreas gland. We meet with the surgeon on Tuesday to get her scheduled for surgery. We are hoping for a benign tumor… pancreatic cancer has a 20% 5 year survival rate.

So I won't be racing this year… my kid has also put his plans on hold with his WISSOTA b-mod until he catches up with some bills. He just got married and I think his wife is calling some of the financial shots now… he sez he's shooting for an August debut.

I'm going to try to help a few of my friends in the pits when I can...
Old 03-26-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageman View Post
I thought the edelbrock was our only option, so i can still use my weiand, sweet.
U can use the 8022 not the 7545 no single plane intake left for mopar in IMCA.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Inactive User

I have not run in about 5 years and after a couple job changes and a 340 rebuild, can't seem to put enough $$ or time to put everything together. So I have a 73 sport dart street stock for sale. 1.08 t bars, new rear springs. Everything esle pretty standard, radiator, cage, fuel cell, etc. $1200 w/o engine / set up for 4 speed. PM or r_baird@comcast.net
Old 03-27-2015, 03:50 PM

To bad your so far. Im building a new one . Cant build it for that for sure.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Inactive User

Ready for 2015.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-09-2015, 05:42 PM

OK I'm checking in. 598 views and twenty some odd post's come on guys login post something.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:45 PM

I'm headed out to run the 42 and the 43 Saturday night at Anderson Southeastern Super Street Series everybody hope for the best for us 50 laps two cars 1&2 would be killer.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:06 AM

Got 3 races in so far this year. 11TH,3rd and 2nd finally got the thing to turn now have to work on getting a little more bite off the corner. Been working on building a new car so buisy with that and all the domestic stuff we all have to do.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:08 PM

Had a car I just passed bonzi the next corner and push up hit me in the left front tire and drove me into the outside concrete wall. Pushed the upper control arm mounts inboard and destroyed all four control arms and who knows what else. Going to be a long week.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:49 PM

Ran sixth with one car with drawed the other one. We was outclassed and tired,
pavement race I think they had soked tires.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Inactive User

I will be running a satellite street stock again. Last year was my first year in it didn't have the year I was hoping but didn't have the time for proper maintenance. I still took top 10 in points and Rookie of the Year at my track. Hopefully get the pure stock doba out for my brother to run a few times.