Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-14-2003, 02:18 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Turning 87 Fifth Ave 318 2-Barrel into a 4-Barrel

lookin into getting a first car for myself, something cheap and dependable, currently looking at an 87 fifth avenue, not sure yet. Just curious on whether or not its easy or not to turn the 2-Barrel 318 into a 4 for some extra power. I think id have to get a whole new intake manifold and a 4 barrel carb am i correct? Well i had a hard time finding Mopar part sites, jegs didnt have a whole lot. Also wondering if it sounds like a cool idea, hell it does to me. Nice comfy fifth ave that can kick some ass heh? Tell me what ya think, or if you've got any helpful information. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i-1_b.jpg (17.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-14-2003, 04:20 AM
Inactive User

5th Ave's make great sleepers. If you wanna go performance, but daily duties; an Edelbrock Performer intake will work fine for you. The Performer is good for idle thru 5500 RPM and is a dual plane intake that will help in the lower range for around town stuff. During those years, Ma was using QuadraJunks for some reason for four barrels. I would use the Thermoquad or an Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carb instead. The linkage will need the adaptors and the intake is about an inch higher. To adapt that part, email me. I have the modified linkage from when my Duster was an automatic . Cover shipping and it's yours. BTW, I would also recommend dual 2 1/4" exhaust. Nothing loud, let it sleep....
Old 08-14-2003, 09:28 AM
Inactive User

Red face some absolute musts!!

If you want to do this the easy way, the first thing you have to do is ditch the lean burn ignition system. replace that with the Mopar Performance electronic ignition system. (Mancini Racing has them)
Second thing, lose the stock exhaust system! it has THREE converters!
replace that with Hedman Hedders PN 78050(Summit Racing $109.99) , they fit perfectly, you just have to pull the engine out about 6-8" and disconnect the drag link between the pitman arm and idled arm to get them in.
of corse dual exhaust.
The most bang for your buck is changing the rear end.
5th aves come stock with @ 2.2:1 rear end gears
they are made for gas milage and hwy crusin.
if you can find a diplomat cop car or taxi, get that rear end, they put a lower ratio gearset in those.
the rear gear swap alone will give you that "seat of the pants" acceleration you might be looking for.
bolting on a 4bbl and intake without doing any of the above mods is pretty much useless (trust me i know from experiance) that was my first mod.
just keep asking questions here on the board and you will get the results you are looking for.
I could not have built my car without the help of all the outstanding advice and comments of everyone here who helped me.
5th
Old 08-15-2003, 05:20 PM
Inactive User

I second what 5th ave said. You need to do ALOT to get some performance out of that thing. Simply bolting on a 4Bbl is just going to give you more problems unless you do what he and others have sugested.

I would save the money and get a early to mid 70's 4door b or a body with at least a 318 for a good sleeper. Something with bench seats, wood paneling and split pea green!

I saw a guy who turned a 72 coronet stationwagon into a sleeper! That was awesome! Seriously though the older v8's do not have as much of the electronic and vacum controlled junk to get in your way as the 80's cars do so they are easier to work on.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Banned

FIFTHs are neat............... BUT you need more cam and compression to make that four barrel combo really work.

For now....an SP2P intake and a TQ carb should help BOTH mileage and HP.

And as 5er says.......get a better rear-end gear and exhaust system on it tooooo !
Old 08-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Banned

Re: Turning 87 Fifth Ave 318 2-Barrel into a 4-Barrel

Quote:
Originally posted by AntiHonda
lookin into getting a first car for myself, something cheap and dependable, currently looking at an 87 fifth avenue, not sure yet. Just curious on whether or not its easy or not to turn the 2-Barrel 318 into a 4 for some extra power. I think id have to get a whole new intake manifold and a 4 barrel carb am i correct? Well i had a hard time finding Mopar part sites, jegs didnt have a whole lot. Also wondering if it sounds like a cool idea, hell it does to me. Nice comfy fifth ave that can kick some ass heh? Tell me what ya think, or if you've got any helpful information. Thanks.
Here's the info you need. Go to Summit racing and get you a Weiand action plus dual plane. It's one of the best street intakes for small blocks. Top it off with a stock thermoquad that you can pick up new at Advance auto for around 189.00. Your stock linkage for the tranny and gas feed will still work too.If you have the exta cash mill the heads .030 and install a small dual pattern cam. Course this can be done latter if cash is an issue. Get a TCI shift kit. Easy to install yourself too. Next find a cop car. Get the 8 1/4 axle. Bolts right in. Trooper cars run 2.94 gears and locals cars use the 3.55 gears and most will have a sure grip in them too. Also use the police car rear springs and sway bars for increased handing too. Also if your lucky the cast iron intake and thermoquad will still be on the cop car and you can use it, but the Weiand action plus will out do it.
Hope that helps and let me know if you need any more info.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot ill remember that. I dont yet even have the car, but just thinking about it i think it may just be a better idea to let the car be the way it is. Their very nice cars, comfortable, luxurious and very dependable etc, so if i want something to supe up later i may as well do it with something thats more built for it like a coronet or something like that. But we'll see. When you've got money you can do anything and get it done well It would be real fun to just fly by some suped up honda on the freeway, where all he sees is my huge calvin pissing on a Vtec logo on the back windsheild !!!
Old 08-17-2003, 03:28 AM
Inactive User

hey its easy... just takes alittle time... i just threw a 4bbl on my truck last weekend... went with a carter AFB 600cfm carb and had a eldelbrock torker 340 intake i got used.. along with a spacer... carb was $200 new spacer
$30ish and intake was $75... helped quite abit eats more gas if u dont drive right...

summit has real good prices thats where i got my carb and spacer... and the eldelbrock prefromer and carter 600cfm carbs are suppose-of-ally the same thing but carters are cheaper... plus i went with a manuel choke