Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-20-2004, 03:09 AM

cry2 lokar throttle/trans cable bracket...

anyone but me ever have any problems with this piece moving? it gets bolted to the left rear corner of the carb. it has a slotted hole that goes over the carb stud, and a setscrew that pushes against the base of the carb to "prevent" movement... but mine slips in the slotted hole. when it does, it screws up both WOT and the throttle pressure cable. i suppose i COULD tighten it to the point that i KNOW it will stay put, but i would prefer to not have to periodically replace the demon carb that cost me $400. and yes, i am using an internal star lockwasher under the nut... it still slips. i figure that correcting this will either add to or subtract from my 60' times by a significant amount... depending on how much traction i lose... lol

i suppose that i could make a non-movable bracket, but as i have no good way to cut or bend plate, it would take a while and look like $hit.

any ideas on fixing this problem would be gratefully accepted. thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:27 AM

Is the cable or linkage bottoming out on full throttle?
Old 07-20-2004, 02:13 PM

no, nothing is bottoming out. the throttle cable still has about 1/64" of slack when the pedal is on the floor, and the throttle position cable is adjusted so that the lever on the trans is just hitting its travel limit. when things move, i only get about 2/3 of WOT... which isnt WOT anymore... lol. and they dont move all at once, they move a little each time the pedal is floored until they find a position they like.

as near as i can figure, when the gas pedal is at wide open throttle, between the throttle return springs and the throttle pressure linkage springs, there is enough spring pressure to pull the bracket forward.

now it is possible, i suppose, that i havent tightened the carb to the manifold enough... i dont use a torque wrench, so i dont know how tight the nuts get. what i do is spin the nuts down untill they contact the carb base, snug them, then give then an estimated 10 ft-lbs of torque. this way, i dont worry about warping the carb base. i do know that it is tight enough that the carb stays on the engine, and i have no vacuum leaks. it is also possible that i have too much spring pressure on the throttle return. i am using 2 sets of the dual (one inside the other) springs like the ones provided in the lokar kit. i do this because i like the feel of the extra springs, and because when i take my foot off the throttle, it CLOSES... no floating. without the 2nd set of springs, the throttle closes, but takes a few seconds to return to idle. the truck isnt uncomfortable to drive, meaning that my foot doesnt get tired of holding the pedal down if i set off on a 500 mile trip.

hope this added info helps...
Old 07-20-2004, 03:52 PM

That second set of springs may be your problem. Have you talked to Lokar about this?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Inactive User

Post Lokar

I had the same trouble, never did lokar to work. Threw my set in the trash. I welded in one inch on to my slotted rod that fastens to carburator stud, now I was able to adjust transmission linkage properly. I now have a passing gear and the trans. shifts up thru gears normally.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Inactive User

Default same deal

I had the same problem with my lokar cable. It is adjustable at the transmission end. i just put another screw and nut on the braket and adjusted it at the trans.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Inactive User

Default Here's the fix!

I had the exact same problem with my Lokar set up.

I whined to them about it. Now, I don't think this fix is due to my phone call alone, but they did come out with a new bracket sometime afterwards.

It has a set screw that is oriented perpendicular to the direction of pull...in other words the screw pushes against the manifold and helps to keep the bracket in place.

I bought this at least a year ago, so they ought to be in stock or able to be ordered.

And it fixed the problem!