Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Inactive User

Help SS rear suspension

Well I finally got the old Volare back out onto the track. After all the time spent trying to get the 9 inch under her I was hoping for better results. The car feels like it should be faster but I have real bad wheel hop on launch. My suspension is as follows 3800# SS leaf spings, Front F body spring mounts, Ford 9 inch rear with 4.56 gears and full spool, 275/50/15 BFGoodrich Radials, and comp engineering 3 way drag shocks. The shocks are set on 50/50 and the pinion angle is supposed to be at 4 degrees down (according to my mechanic). The car launches like a dream on pavement but once in the staging lanes wheel hop can be brought on by just hammering the gas from a stop. As you know this wheel hop is killing my 60' times.

I Tried multiple different things to try and fix it (on the converter, 1000 rpm, launch from idle, and even dropped the tire pressure down to 15 psi) but nothing worked. I think the shocks are my problem but we could not unbolt them at the track to change the settings. Once the car catches it leaves with the authority I expected. Getting it to do so with out the hop is what I need. I am not even going to put in the 60 foot time as they varied wildly with each pass.

Any suggestions guys I wanna launch........

Thanks
Old 05-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Use dpring clamps on the front of the spring to stiffen the fropnt segment. For more forward bite, flip the front spring hangers then return the car to proper ride hieght will longer rear shackles. On some cars you must also swap sides with the front hangers after flipping them due to offset mounting studs. Also remove all the spring clamps on the rear segments of the springs except the one closest to the axle. That will help. Also make sure you torque the axle U bolts,front and rear spring bolts to stock torque settings or else it will cause a bind. I learned that last one the hard way on an oval track car I was racing.