Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Ebay Auction Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:23 PM

Gripe Paypal only to sell on eBay? That stinks!

I had about 50 bucks or so left in my seller's account from last fall and finally decided to try and sell some more hobby items. Imagine my surprise when listing for payment options, Paypal was the only choice given.
I searched around and figured out that there was no way around it.
I then decided to say heck with it and apply for a refund for my seller's fees I had already paid and were still unused in my account. Surprise! They only refund through Paypal and only directly into your bank account. \
Guess who doesn't give that kind of info out online?
eBay will lose more on me then they ever made on those stupid fees, it's the principle of the thing, don't ya know!!!

I'm just disgusted, they did this with no warning or I'd have gotten my fees out earlier and said fine. I do NOT like being coerced into anything and I'll remember this later. I've been a member of eBay since 98 and have not a single negative or even a neutral to my name or feedback.
Pretty high handed way to treat a customer, IMHO.
I hope there may be a way around this, but if not, my eBay days are done for the foreseeable future, maybe for good.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

I'm not surprised in the least. It's an evil empire.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:00 AM

it takes over a week to get anything paid thru a paypal bank account on ebay---therefore no shipping will be done until the e-check clears. really sucks although the money is immediately taken out of my bank account. It's over a week before anything is shipped. Just wondering how long it would take if one were a seller instead of a buyer. Continuing on with this, I put just enough money in my bank account to cover my purchases as opposed to --say -- a $15 to $20K credit card with numbers flashed to the world. No wonder people get took. It's like stolen identies. If they can hack the pentagon's computer, what the hell do ya think they can do to my littke dial up? Any way ebay prefers a credit card! Imagine that. MHO
Old 12-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Inactive User

It takes 2 - 3 days for me to get my money transferred into my account that is tied in with Paypal. I have had my account for a long time, cant remember exactly how long, but its gotta be getting close to 10 years, definately over 6 years and I have never had any kind of issue with it. I do quite a bit of selling on there and a bunch of buying. The biggest issue I have with Paypal is when they whack me with a charge for someone else using a credit card to pay, thats bullsh*t, I have NO control over people using credit cards and I have no way to recoup the fee. I have adopted a policy of $2 handling charge on small items and $5 and up on more expensive ones. If the people dont use a credit card, and I dont get the fee charged to me, I send them a refund for the handling charge with their item.

I do think its BS that they change it to Paypal only, and will just open themselves up to a new online auction site to grow. Who knows, it may end up good for alot of people because there will be more than just one site to get things.

I did go on there and noticed that Ebay MADE me enter a credit card number or setup automatic payment of seller fees through Paypal before I could create a listing. What a crock, I have always paid my fees on time. So I guess thats another complaint I have about Ebag now.

*EDIT* Now that I think about it, Im done with Ebay and will not use them anymore. Ill be looking for another auction site to use.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:54 AM

What do you think of Craig's List?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Inactive User

Here is what I emailed Ebay after I found this stuff out. I will let you guys know what they reply with.

I just want to let you know that I will not be using Ebay anymore and here is why. The first thing is that you have changed it so that the ONLY payment option is Paypal. That is a complete crock, and just a way for you guys to squeeze more money out of buyers and sellers. Second, you made it so that you cant even list an item without giving a credit card number or by setting up automatic Paypal payment. Another way to charge what you want, when you want, leaving the seller completely at your mercy, even if there is a dispute of any kind. Third, if I sell something and the buyer uses a credit card through Paypal, I get charged for the credit card transaction. That is completely unfair, why should I pay for something that someone else does? I have ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL over anyone using a credit card. I cant even add an extra charge to the auction for people that do choose to use credit cards to recoup my FORCED EXPENSE!

When Ebay started out, and up until a relatively short time ago, it was great. Buying and selling was alot of fun, but the things that you have done to create your own little auction empire in which all buyers and sellers are forced to pay fee after fee to make a transaction have taken all of the fun out of it.

I would like complete instructions on how to close out both my Paypal and Ebay accounts so that there is no chance of receiving any kind of charges to my credit card or bank account.

Thank You,
John Wolfe
Old 12-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
I havent really checked into it too much yet, but will be taking a look at it.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
I've used craigslist both to sell and buy items. Didn't cost me a penny and transactions were always done in cash. I like it.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:35 AM

IMHO, how would you sell your items if it weren't for ebay? Local paper? Rates aren't that cheap either....
Old 12-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Inactive User

There are plenty of other ways. In fact when I went through recently and sold off my smallblock stuff because I am going to do a big block instead, I didnt even list one item on ebay and I sold almost everything. I simply listed it all on this site and a couple of others. Most things went faster than they usually do on ebay and I was not charged ANY fees, and other than shipping, neither were the buyers. It was a little bit more work, but it ended up working out better than going through ebay.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Inactive User

There are merchant fees on all credit card transactions. We pay for every credit card we accept with our business, and every merchant that accepts credit cards pays them, too. Some types are higher than others; for example for us to accept a Discover card, we pay higher fees. Ditto for AMEX, and the fees are higher than Discover, so we don't advertise that we can accept AMEX (or even Discover, for that matter). If it was a deal-buster, though, particularly on a large item, we'd eat the fees to make the sale. It's all part of the cost of doing business.

PayPal is just another type of merchant account, where the seller pays the fees. It's nothing unusual, but not accepting a CC will severely limit your customers these days.

I've noticed that some sellers on ebay accept PayPal only. That would seem to be limiting, as well, but it's their decision.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
I've noticed that some sellers on ebay accept PayPal only. That would seem to be limiting, as well, but it's their decision.
I think that'd be ok for someone selling brand new appliances, but just for fun I tracked prices on Paypal Only and Paypal optional or No Paypal auctions and on identical or near identical items, Paypal Only tended to come in 20 to 40 percent less usually. It is an auction, more bids means more profits, do something to restrict bids, lose profit. The so-called "convenience" just isn't worth it, especially considering the other potential downfalls already mentioned here.
Maybe eBay needs to have a several down quarters on profit, maybe then they'll get the hint.
I've got my eye on one item that ends in a couple of days that I was watching before I got into this mess and once that auction is done, so am I, maybe for good.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
There are merchant fees on all credit card transactions. We pay for every credit card we accept with our business, and every merchant that accepts credit cards pays them, too. Some types are higher than others; for example for us to accept a Discover card, we pay higher fees. Ditto for AMEX, and the fees are higher than Discover, so we don't advertise that we can accept AMEX (or even Discover, for that matter). If it was a deal-buster, though, particularly on a large item, we'd eat the fees to make the sale. It's all part of the cost of doing business.

PayPal is just another type of merchant account, where the seller pays the fees. It's nothing unusual, but not accepting a CC will severely limit your customers these days.

I understand that, but they dont give you the option to not accept credit cards on your auction. Once in a while if someone had no other choice, then Id accept it, but they no longer give you any control over your sale. Thats what makes me mad, therefore I wont participate.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:58 PM

I've received some info from eBay concerning older members that I'd like to share. I'll only copy the pertinent part.
"as a honorable member who has been eBay for a
number of years, you are not required to list PayPal as a payment method
on your listings.

Members who registered on eBay prior to January 17 do not have to offer
buyers the option to pay for items by PayPal or credit card.

Kindly try listing using the second option which appears when you click
the Sell tab at the top right hand corner. It is worded as "Customize
your listing with multiple selling formats, designs, and more "."

I'm not sure if that's January 17 2007 or 2008, however.
I'll probably list some auctions tonight or Saturday night. If I do, I'll report back and let you know if I had problems or not.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Inactive User

That makes no sense, as I said Ive been a member for years and always paid my fees on time, etc. I tried setting up an auction quick today just to make sure of what you said and it only offered Paypal for payment means. I havent heard back from them yet.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:08 AM

Well, I ran an auction and it took it. You could try as those instructions say and see if it works for you. I'm not sure why it's like that, and even tried one last time to redirect me into a Paypal auction, but I was able to get around that.
I'm pretty sure if it still gives you hassle, you should be able to get around that. I know going the way thru the sell link at the top of the page instead of the way I did it previous using the links on the side of the My Ebay page made a difference. Why, I don't know...but I figure it's worth a try.
The "customize your listing" has a few more steps, but I got it to work.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Banned

PayPal is required for all new sellers and was done as one of the first of the new buyer protection gizmos that Ebay began.

It was to help eliminate some of the scam auctions.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:29 AM

Problem with that is it punishes the innocent as well as sets up a monopoly situation. Also, I have to admit my auction didn't even get any bids, and it was at a reasonable price. Some may pop up and say, "you should have joined paypal", but to me it just means that eBay isn't as good of a market that it used to be. I can just go back to the local shows and swap meets like I did before I ever heard of eBay or Paypal.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Inactive User

Well, Ive been looking at Craigs List lately and I like it except for the Search is not as comprehensive as ebag's. Maybe they will upgrade it at some point.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Banned

Problem with that is it punishes the innocent

Very true, but just look around today govt is now in business to protect the stupid, from themselves and the people that come here to find work from anywhere from everything, at no cost.

eBay has changed so much and the costs have risen so high it has pushed more and more back to the old conventional way of face to face transactions where a buyer and seller agree on a price then the deal is done.

When a parts seller has to factor in 10-15% for "fees and additional costs" most parts are available localy for less.

It also points out the extreme margins both Jegs and Summit have built in to their pricing after running all the small speed shops out of business with low ball pricing done in the early 90s.

Anyone anywhere now will beat their prices but the damage to all those businesses is done and they are gone.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Inactive User

yeah, when they get a hold of your money at paypal, its like they got the G.I. Joe kung-fu grip. they know how to swing it so u have to give them their cut. i like craigslist, but i find so many dreamers that really arent gonna buy anything. i also see wierd stuff like a bag of kitty litter. people get in a bind 4 money and think they can sell worthless junk. a fool and his money will part ways.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Inactive User

Craigslist is being attacked by ebay's Kijiji... a free classifieds setup to take out the mighty CL. Google craigslist and hit news... and it will be the 6th story down. Shipping costs have risen along with the listing fees... buy it now fees... reserve fees... and scratch your er... nose fees. Craigslist list be berry berry good to me. I have shipped 4 spd trannies to Detroit from So Cal using CL & Paypal... but I figure in the fees into the deal. Just my $0.02 (no fees).
Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Banned

More and more of eBays performance and parts sellers are migrating or colisting on Racingjunk.com.

Traffic is way up there, and parts sellers can and do sell the same items for less.

Ebay is even "warning" sellers NOT to mention their "name" in either their listings, me pages, or stores....

Ebays core principle of hiding the information for contact and direct interaction between buyers and sellers has proven a prime example of scammers paradise.

Racingjunk, on the otherhand, encourages interaction and full disclosure, GOSH what a concept....
Old 02-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Inactive User

Angry

I was paid for 2 items on ebay and now to get my money out of paypal will take me 2 months as they have a limit on 500 per month to be transfered to your account. What a crock and taking about a week to get. That is the last time I will use paypal and that is to get my money out.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Inactive User

PAY-PAl is joke, if you sell something, do not use pay-pal option. they have the thing called buyer's protection, well fine, what about seller's protection ?????????? after all all they care is how they can pull money off you. I am tired of dealing with these stone heads
Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Inactive User

I am going to start putting my items on the mopar boards as most of what I have is mopar only.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:36 AM
Banned

Pay pal is the way to go.If ya dont sell junk ya got nothing to woory about.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Inactive User

Ok I will sell my stuff and when paypal yanks out $20 for their fee and takes a week to get me my money I will just wait for you to make up the difference. HA!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Banned

i gueess you dont knoww how to use it correctly,you charge the buyer the paypal fees you tell them upfront, them go in your local banks and tell them you want a cash advance on your paypal card , they do it then when you do that get home and see you got 1.5 percent back for doing it that way. thay way you can withdraw 400.00 aday, with no charges also mear the end of monyh lea alot in and get the almost 5percent for whats in there.there to use the system, also get verified. the card costs ya nothin and ya can use it anywhere, every time you use it and sign for it like at the post offfice yet get 1.5 percent of the amount you signed for put the shippping fees that they pay and the pay pal fees up front and note nicely in your ad yo will sell it no problem.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Inactive User

If Someone Would Come Up With A New Style Of Paypal, They Would Make Millions Soley On Peoples Spite.