Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-18-2000, 04:56 PM
MoparChat Support Staff

Question

What was your first MOPAR and why are you still hooked??
Old 04-18-2000, 05:46 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Mine was a 1966 Plymouth Valiant, with the glorious 225" slant six (of course!) Still miss it... It opened my eyes for the whole Chrysler Corp. and its cool cars. But what really got me into Mopars was the ultra-cool movie Bullit...The evil guys had of course the most evil car: a -68 Dodge Charger...
Nowadays I believe I have switched from those early favourite Chargers and Challengers to the more basic & conservative 1962-65 B-bodys...
What could actually beat a Ramcharger 413, or a Max-Wedge & long-ram manifolds?

Currently owning:
1964 Dodge 330
1968 Plymouth Sport Satellite
Old 04-18-2000, 06:02 PM
Inactive User

My first Mopar was a 73 Valient with a 318, console shift automatic, rally wheels and rally pack options. It was Orange with a white vinal top and white buckets. It was probably the coolest car i ever owned and after overheating the engine and burning a couple of rod bearings I ended up having to sell it for $250 to appease my folks who wanted that "old piece if junk" off their property, bummer... I had planned on doing a 360 buildup but didn't have the fundage. cruzerjd
Old 04-18-2000, 06:49 PM
Inactive User

i am 16 and am in the process of building a 72 duster 440, this is the first car i owned, but i have been working on mopars for over 5 years, i dont think there is anything better than mopar.
Old 04-18-2000, 06:52 PM

It was a 87 Dodge Shadow ES turbo, 5-spd. After owning a chevy and a ford just prior to this car, i was ready for something that would run. And run it did. I had more fun in/with that car than any I've owned since. The car took everything I threw at it and kept on going. I haven't owned anything other than a Chrysler product since, and have basically had the same luck with them.

1994 dakota v-6
1996 neon sohc
1969 coronet 440 post-car, 360 auto.
Old 04-18-2000, 07:52 PM
Inactive User

My first MOPAR was a 1957 Ply Fury factory dual fours 3 sp with over drive. All my friends had or wanted 57 chev. I had to be different. Have had at least one MOPAR to play with since.

------------------
69 RR 426 4bbl 727 9.78 @ 138 best so far.
79 Lil Red Express.
96 2500 Ram 5.9
99 Durango 5.9
Old 04-18-2000, 07:59 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Mine was a 1981 Dodge Aries that I got in 1990. My parents bought it new in '81 and worked it till I got it. I had to rebuild the carb and replace a axle due to gone CV Joints. Ran the hell out of that 10 yr old engine and bend then burst the number one rod and its still ran on three cylinders although it ate alot more gas after that. I replaced the engine with a 85 and a new hot cam. Made some folks drop thier jaws and never find them again when I smoked those tires in the front wheel drive they had always thought was a dog.
Didnt want to get rid of it but you cant have everything. Oh by the way I had taken out the front bench from this 4-door and installed a set of buckets out of a 71 cuda. The Aries had a 4 on the floor.
I want to do either a 360 or 400 rear wheel drive two or four door some time, Without a hood scoop. Can you say ultimate sleeper grocery getter. I just dont think it will be legal on Texas roads.

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 04-18-2000, 08:13 PM
Inactive User

mine was my 71 plymouth duster i currently own , converting it over to 451. i like the thought of that power to weight ratio , because the capabilities of a mopar engine are so high, i cant turn down the reliability either. the styling and quality are 100% , so i went on and bought a 1991 shadow 5spd. this car is nice on fuel and has almost 300,000 on it. since i come from a fishing backround(live in the city now), i have saw many trucks abused , and the only truck anybody in the community will buy after everything has been put to the test duribility wise, is a mopar truck. you cant beat mopar. its proven.
Old 04-18-2000, 08:20 PM
Inactive User

69 Blue Road Runner with no power anything and a 383 4-speed bench seat,man what a great first car that was.

that was enough to get and keep me hooked.funny this is the same topic from moparts
Old 04-18-2000, 09:04 PM
Mopars, music, and mechan

Biggrin

I'm only 16 and can you belive it i've already owned two mopars my firts was a maroon color 74 dart swinger with a black top and a 318, the car wich i'm working on now is a 70 duster with a 318 i've been working on mopars since i was 5 :P I love em and always will
Old 04-18-2000, 10:07 PM
MML Member

Mine was a 1961 Plymouth 9 passenger station wagon /6 3spd. My older brother got it for me when I was 12. I used to drive it in the field behind our house. My first street driven Mopar(now its a Mopar) was a 1971 Gremlin 6 auto. My first real Mopar was a 1970 340 4spd Dart Swinger. I loved that car and kick myself daily for selling it. That was 17 years ago and I still regret it. It was a great car.
Old 04-18-2000, 10:44 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

I got EXTREMELY lucky when I turned 16. My first CAR was a '70 Charger R/T 440+6, 727, that I still own today. Why my parents ever let their 16 year old kid have a car like that I'll never know. It seems every time it rained, I would demonstrate the laws of phisics/MoPar performance. For instance, the law that says "If it's got 420 pounds of torque, those measly 60's are gonna start swapping ends with the 70's if you don't slow down you moron". I thought up that one in Biology class after nearly spinning out on a wet road on my way to school that day.
Ahhhhhh, kids......
Old 04-18-2000, 11:27 PM
Inactive User

Well when i turned 17 I got my 74 ply Gold Duster, I saved up for a 70 duster 340, but by the time i got the money, it was sold, soi waited a few more weeks, and this guy was selling this duster for 500 dollars, it had no engine inside or no tranny. Well I just thought if i was this car, i would want to be saved. SO i took it off their hands. the guy gave me the slant six with all parts, and a mildly worn 318 w/o intake or carbs, so i went the cheap way and rebuilt the slant for 700 bucks and the guy gave us the tranny that went with it, put that in. The reason why I am hooked is because, no one in my state or area drives old mopar cars, so I wanted to be different, besides i hate camaros and fords. So i decided to go with the other american manufacturer. And I am hooked because i like this car, I have had good compliments on how much i have done and how far i have gotten. But i always get the comments of "Man mopar sucks, thats why no one drives one" and i became nicknamed Mopar Matt, because since my purchase i tried to buy every singel mopar action, mopar muscle, and mopar performance mags. And i know mopar real well for how late i started in getting into cars, and that is why. Even though you probly havent read this far, because you probly saw the length of this reply and said forget it, or you got bored of this halfway thru it, so... Yeah..
Old 04-18-2000, 11:28 PM
Moderate anarchist

My first Mopar was a 74 Swinger SE, 4 doors, 225, bought it in 84. Just a car to me at the time, folks were GM types. It ran great, drove from IN to CA, I was in the USN. traded it and cash for a 68 Cougar, I wanted something to hot rod. Stupid mistake, had nothing but problems. later after more brand X cars I got a 63 Belevedere wagon, sweet car with a poly 318. Then I decided I wanted a new car. So I sat down and compared all the cars I'd owned and the only ones I never sent to the junkyard were the Mopars, so I bought a new Daytona, mitake there too. But I got stuck on Moaprs and that's all it's been since.

Steve
Old 04-18-2000, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

My 1st mopar was a 1980 /6 Cordoba. It was a dog and wasnt real fast, didnt take turns well and didnt stop to good. When I got it, it had about 200K miles on the orig motor and sometimes it wouldnt back up. And sometimes it would die for no reson and I would have to wait for a wile before it restarted. I liked that car so much i even named it...a few times. I named it "you f$#%ing peace of s@$%" and things like that. It seemed to like toying with me. But for all its faults it seemed to always pull threw when i needed it the most and always got me home safe. It clicked like crazy (i was 16 then and who knew you had to adjust the rockers!) and one day threw a push rod. Between that and the other things I decided to junk it. I wish i knew more about cars then because i regret junking that cordoba alot now.
Old 04-18-2000, 11:38 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

1970 Barracuda 318 auto, maroon in color w/black vinal roof. I remember driving that thing in snow storms with sand in the trunk & 245 60/ 14's. Great car The guy I bought it from took atvantage of my inexperience. When I picked it up the defrost wasn't working & he told me he dodn't know why?? I later found that he had bypassed the SHOT heater core!!!!! Live & learn. He did one thing right, put a hotter cam in it for a rebuild. That cars parts are still on the road today. the doors ended up on the guys car I saw in the parking lot in high school that made me want a CUDA!!!!! Not no every one has had one comparo, shivelle.

V10

The grill is still in my attic, will be in my den some day
Old 04-19-2000, 01:19 AM
Inactive User

My first Mopar was a 1948 Plymouth 2-door sedan. The reason I got it was because my first car was a 1941 chevy. That Chevy was Christine in reverse. It could sit in the garage and self destruct! I never owned a care that broke so often. A couple of examples: The seat back broke at 50 mph..that was exciting! The tie-rod fell off while driving..that was really exciting!! The hood flew up at 40 mph...that was even more exciting!!!

The '48 Plymouth was as near perfect as I could ever ask a car to be. Nothing broke, it would start at 40 below zero, it got great mileage, and drove like a luxury car. On top of that, I could beat any flat-head Ford V8 or Chevy 6 in my town.

Now, about 35 Mopars later, I can still say I've never had a bad one. Some were better than others, but all were reliable easy to work on and inexpensive to own. Can't see no reason to change now!
Old 04-19-2000, 02:26 AM
Inactive User

72 Duster. 6 Banger.2nd Mopar 70 RR 440/4speed. Currently 64 Dodge 500 Polara 2 door hardtop w/buckets and console. Also I put a 69 440 SIXPAK in it. Had 80 new and used cars in my life so far. Nothing beats Mopar far as taking care of it's owner. They have soul.
Old 04-19-2000, 02:35 AM

Smile

The first Mopar I bought was a '69 Roadrunner, 440,4-speed,for $1,300 when I was 17 in 1979. It was Metallic burnt orange with US mags and huge tires with wrinkles on the sidewalls even though they were Pos-a-Traction. It was raced alot by the Marine I bought it from and he blew the 383, so he went to the 440. It was too fast for me since I only weighed 120lbs. and there was no power steering, brakes, and it had a badly leaking rear seal that threw 90w everywhere, and it had a chrome 10 inch steering wheel! It drove like a barge with a rocket strapped to it. Not having a clue at the time, I drove it on the I15 freeway at over 140 mph passing cars like they were standing still and hoping they didn't change lanes in front of me. I must have done that 10 times. I try not to think about it now, so I don't have a heart attack! I fixed the rear seals a year later, and finally Irealized why I didn't have any brakes! I Sold it right after that for $1,350. That was all I could get.
I didn't own it, but before that in 1975 I lived in Montana, where my Dad bought a '68 Dodge Coronet 440. It was a 318 car, gold with black top. Before the Dukes of Hazzard were the Millers of Montana. My brother and I, both too young to drive, drove every day to school 18 miles away.I don't know what my father was thinking letting us drive with no license or insurance or registration. We lived way up in the mountains were we took it to the limit on the dirt roads. Getting sideways around the curves, seeing how much roost we could make with our snow tires. There was no one on the freeway there so we also tested the 120 mph top speed when ever we had the chance. We even got passed by a classmate going 130. He surprised us because we weren't looking behind us. I mean, who's gonna pass you in the middle of nowhere when you're doing 120? Too bad he had an uglyass Chevy, or I might have been impressed. Once, we went to town and when we came back up the mountain,workers had dug a waterline across the dirt road with a backhoe. We stopped and no one was around but the empty backhoe. Well we still had to get home because Mom and Dad would be worried, so My 14 year old older brother (he hogged the car alot) was playing Bo Duke, and he backed way down the hill. Too bad camcorders weren't invented yet (at least not in Montana) because he hit the gas and we went full blast up the hill, wound around some curves, and slammed into the dirt burm on the side of the 3foot wide ditch and flew Dukes of Hazzard style in our pseudo General Lee over the ditch. My brothers philosiphy was, When in doubt, HIT THE GAS! I still think to this day that that Coronet was the best and funnest car I ever drove. It was like new when Dad bought it for $350, and after repairing the carb, brakes, several mufflers we ripped off of it 4X4ing,u-jounts, and tons of cheap tires, Dad sold it for $600. Since that Coronet, both my brother and I and my little brother have been deep into Mopars and must have had over 20 different kinds between us. I currently have a Dodge Ram truck and a hopped up '69 Coronet. I have done away with the crazy driving and stick to the drag strip.
Old 04-19-2000, 02:41 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

I could've sworn I posted already but....

Why am I hooked on MoPars?
Why does a Harley guy buy a Harley? Because there's nothing else like it!
And the engineering is #1.

My first MoPar was a 1940 Plymouth P-10 Deluxe Businessman's Coupe, which I bought in 1984 for $150 Canadian.
I STILL OWN IT!!!

------------------
Tubbed 40 Plymouth Coupe
Tubbed 71 Demon
1989 Shelby Lancer
1978 BB ClubCab
1973 Scamper 440 MHome
Old 04-19-2000, 04:47 AM
Inactive User

First car was a 1972 Duster,318/904.Lemon Twist yellow with 340 stripes.Bought it right before I turned 16 in 1978.Nice car,I really liked it.I did the usual speed parts deal and did a bit of street racing with it.I never consisdered buying anything but a Mopar.I now have my Dad's 1970 Road Runner that he bought brand new that is my pride and joy(car wise)Dad still drives it now and then,but I make sure he parks it back in MY garage!!
Old 04-19-2000, 05:30 AM
Inactive User

My first Mopar was a AMC gremlin at the time though AMC wasn"t a Mopar, But this car would do a block long smokey burn out. There was this heavily tarred street and a high rpm clutch dump and poor rear suspension would result in big burn outs that amazed all my chevy friends. My first real Mopar was a 73 Duster 318 auto brown with black stripes and fake scoops and rally wheels, and high back buckets.I bought it in 1979 for $900 from a dealer. I run this car harder than any car. It would jump gravel road railroad crossings at 70 mph and do (007 bonds) which is pulling the parking brake at 60 and turning the wheel so you would slide backward then put in 1st gear and floor it and take off in the direction you were coming from In some situations this can be a highly effective manuver. A friend of mine had a small 2 seater Fiat convetible that was supposed to handle real good and after a long road course he couldnt loose me, but I was running my duster to its limits and it was doing some sliding, where he wasn"t. All of this performance driving resulted in lots of suspension repairs and 3 rear ends.the motor wasn"t fast but it gave no trouble and the same for the tranny. Next came better Mopars. MOPAR RULES
Old 04-19-2000, 05:39 AM

My first MOPAR was a '70 Dodge Challenger with a 383 2bbl and a slapstick automatic.

I enjoyed that car for about three years(when it was totaled in a rollover accident).

Why do I continue with MOPARs? I have owned one Ford and one Pontiac. They were both crap. I have owned alot of MOPAR muscle and have been very satisfied with them.

MOPAR or NO CAR

------------------
Ed - MoPower

'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 04-19-2000, 06:08 AM
Inactive User

In 1978 my dad and I went with my 15 year old brother to look at a 69 roadrunner 383 for $200.The owner died in vietnam and his dad was selling it. the car was in nice shape with 110,000 miles, bald tires, and it wouldnt start. Another guy came to look at the car when we were there, and my dad and I made sure Steve left with the car. We found out it had 440 pushrods and put in 383 pushrods and all of a sudden he had the fastest car at highschool 1000 students and lots of chevys and fords to beat he blew away my 71 grandprix 400 cid -300horse.and all the other supposedly fast "heap" chveys, and fords, and belive it or not all the mopars.
At the end of the school year Interstate dragways had thier first "high school drags" it was really cool! My brother took the first place trophy with his road runner.I was really proud of him, but the school tried to screw him out of his trophy but he got it, and still has the car.MOPAR RULES
Old 04-19-2000, 06:30 AM

My first Mopar was a 64 1/2 Barracuda 340/727 with a 7.25 rear end and 265/60 pos-a-traction tires on tall shackles so the tires wouldnt rub on the fenders. Every time I would go over a bump, the shocks would extend to their limits and make an awful sound at the rear. I also had a CHEAP Indy 3 speed shifter that looked like a truck manual gearshift. It had about 4 inches of travel from park to 1st, and I had no idea what gear it was in at any one time. I would always pull it back all the way and bump it twice to get into drive. What a thrill overshifting into reverse at 40 MPH!! I had two diffrent size tires in the front, the driver side being a 70 and the passenger side being a 60, it sat fine with me in it but would lean when empty. I didnt care, because the car was the fastest at my high school and I was only a sophomore, and not really popular either, ha ha h a. That rear end finally gave up in a strange way, pulling out of a parking spot in reverse, and dropping into drive at about -2 mph. I mashed it a LITTLE, and it just blew. Im suprised it lasted as long as it did. The highlite of that cars life was when I raced a chick in a new '85 Z-28 for sex.. I beat her so bad, that she slowed down, flipped a bitch, and bailed the scene before I could come back and collect. Sold the car to some kid when I joined the Corps, and got a letter in Boot camp saying the car got totalled. I bout cried. 10 years later I bought a 65 formula "S" 340/904. I still own it.
Old 04-19-2000, 06:42 AM
Inactive User

My first Mopar was the 68 Road Runner that I still have. It is Forest Green with a 383 4-Speed, with Buckets and a Councel. This car is show room condition. It only has 32,000 miles. I also have a 68 Dodge Charger R/T, and a 64 Plymouth Sport Fury with im going to make into a drag car.
Mopars Rule!!!!

Bryan

------------------
68 Road Runner, 32,000mi.
64 Plymouth Fury Sport
*440 .30 over
*.528 lift Mopar Purple Shaft cam
*Ductile Rockers
*TCI 3000 stall
*Richmond 4.30 gears
*Mopar M1 intake
*830 Holley Double Pumper
*Cheetah Manual Shift Valve Body.
*Indy 440 SR Heads
*Firestone 30.10.15 slicks
*11:5:1 TRW Pistons
Old 04-19-2000, 06:42 AM
Inactive User

My first Mopar was the 68 Road Runner that I still have. It is Forest Green with a 383 4-Speed, with Buckets and a Councel. This car is show room condition. It only has 32,000 miles. I also have a 68 Dodge Charger R/T, and a 64 Plymouth Sport Fury with im going to make into a drag car.
Mopars Rule!!!!

Bryan

------------------
64 Plymouth Fury Sport
*440 .30 over
*Ductile Rockers
*TCI 3000 stall
*Richmond 4.30 gears
*Mopar M1 intake
*Indy 440 SR Heads
Old 04-19-2000, 06:43 AM
Inactive User

Sorry about the double post.

Bryan

------------------
64 Plymouth Fury Sport
*440 .30 over
*Ductile Rockers
*TCI 3000 stall
*Richmond 4.30 gears
*Mopar M1 intake
*Indy 440 SR Heads
Old 04-19-2000, 07:05 AM

Instead of apologizing for the double post, why don't you just click on the Edit/Delete icon (the one with the pencil) and then click on Delete and submit. The duplicate is then removed.

Just a suggestion

------------------
Ed - MoPower

'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 04-19-2000, 09:02 AM
Inactive User

My first own mopar was a '67 Valiant 2D sedan with a 170 /6 and three on the tree. Pretty soon it was rebuilt with a 318 bored to stock 340 pistons (!), performer, headers, 280 cam etc. and a floor shifted manual. The 7 1/4" rear axle with 3.23 gears remained but was equipped with a sure grip pulled out of a newer Aspen. And newer had problems with that particular 7 1/4" despite of severe punishment and a jumping rear suspension.