Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:10 PM

Default Service 3/4 ton 4x4 front roller bearings

98 Quad-cab,V-10,4x4, non-dually truck

When you pull off either of your front disk/hubs after removing the wheel...then outside of the front axle housing you have a big Timken like roller bearing that fits up inside of a race(maybe this bearing and race is held inside the ball joint casting or the arm that comes out from the ball joints)....just like you'd have on the rear axle of a tractor. Had that apart for the first time two years ago and was shocked to find the bearing and race was completely dry and looked as if they had been washed thoroughly in gasoline and then allowed to dry...thats how dry they were. Thought to myself I can't believe they haven't failed.

Called my stealership today and he looked through his service database in his shop and could'nt find any recommendations on how often those should be repacked with wheel bearing grease. Read my haines manual and they don't mention servicing those bearings.

I'M JUST SURE that as you drive these around and during storms hit puddles of water it gushes up and washes that grease right outta those bearings just like if I oil my motorcycle chain I can only travel less than a half mile in a rain and the water washes the chain dry right away.

ANYONE COME UP WITH A WAY TO GREASE THOSE WITH A GREASING NEEDLE HOOKED TO YOUR GREASE GUN? needle like you can buy at tractor supply company that plugs right on to the end of your grease gun. Until I come up with some way to grease those without the big job of tearing that all apart I'm avoiding driving the truck in heavy rains if I can .
Old 08-09-2015, 02:05 PM

You say it's a 4x4, that should have sealed hub assemblies on it. They are permanently greased from the factory. They are not serviceable, when they get noisy or loose you just replace them.

2wd would have serviceable tapered roller bearings.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:23 PM

No, it wasn't a sealed bearing.....the way I'm used to sealed bearings like the mower deck bearings on my craftsman mower.

It was evident though only after pulling the whole hub off that contains your brake disk.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:07 PM

Yes they are sealed hub assemblies. You remove the four bolts holding the hub housing to the steering knuckle. Then remove the hub and rotor assembly. Press the studs out and replace the hub assembly (bearing) or rotor then press the studs back in.

You can look up hub assemblies for your truck at Napa.com or other parts supplier to see what your dealing with.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:02 PM

your right JV : not just on our trucks but on all kinds of vehicles ,Non serviceable front wheel bearings....called "Unitized" bearings....its supposedly a sealed housing but I'm convinced when we drive through rain and water puddles we're quickly washing the grease outta these front bearings and asking for the bearing to fail and the wheel to come off the truck while in action. Found and article by a guy describing how WE CAN grease them.

lotta work, but i've repacked twice now using this technique by this guy...read his article in link below:

http://courtsara.com/tips