Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Inactive User

Default Groaning Quadra-trac

My daughter and I are shopping for a clean Grand Cherokee. We just drove a 99 4.7 Quadra-trac with 116K miles. It seemed fine, except for one thing.

In a tight left or right turn I can hear this groan coming from underneath the car the noise dissipates as the car starts straightens out. It's the strangest thing. It does it turning left or right.

At first I thought it was the tires rubbing, but no. Then I thought a wheel bearing? No, it's does sound hydraulic in some way.

Someone suggested maybe someone replace the rear differential lube with the wrong lube and the clutch plates are rubbing and making the noise.

The 4 wheel drive seems to work ok and without any weird noises.

Any ideas?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:32 PM

I'm not much of a Jeep guy, but there are quite a few different vehicles that exhibit the same symptom and it's the fluid in the rear end. The fix for them is to drain and refill the rear end with the proper fluid then go drive it get it up to temp (15 miles or so) then drive it in a circle one way for 5 minutes then the other for another 5 minutes (this works the fresh lube into the clutch plates). Then your supposed to drain and refill the rear end again.

GM's AWD's (with the Versa Trak rear diff) are good for that. And it's always great to tell a customer that it needs 8 pints of fluid that costs $30 a pint then 1 hour labor to fix. And yes that's $30 a pint
Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Inactive User

Sounds like it has a 247/249 t-case in it....1 of 2 possiblities....either 1, someone has serviced it with the wrong fluid...meaning they used ATF instead of the 247 fluid that it requires, or 2, the viscous coupler inside the t-case is fried. If someone serviced it with the wrong fluid, or if its just overdue for a service you can sometimes get away with servicing it.......But usually it needs the coupler replaced, a coupler is used in place of the planetary set inside the case on the Full (ALL) Time 4wd models to allow for front to rear wheel slippage on turns to keep the case from breaking due to binding up from wheel speed difference front to rear.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:27 AM

first i would service the rear diff with 75 140 synthetic fluid and the mopar limited slip additive. if that doesn't fit the noise you'll have to replace the rear limited slip or as they may call it vari lock. the clutches do wear out of can groan and chatter from lack of maintenance.