Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Ebay Auction Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:52 AM

EBay challenged over PayPal rules

"A federal court has entered a default judgment in a lawsuit against online auction giant eBay over the company's practice of forcing sellers to use PayPal."

http://detnews.com/article/20100623/...roit-fed-court
Old 06-23-2010, 01:08 PM

makes no sense, if you dont like thier rules don't sell on ebay.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:46 PM

I was a member long before they started this Paypal nonsense. If it had been voluntary, I wouldn't have cared and would have probably even joined by now. The problem is they are double dipping folks, both on seller and Paypal fees.
Honestly, I'm surprised it's went as far as it has, they've been losing sales for awhile due to their unfriendly and draconian Paypal rules.
I was actually to the point of saying heck with it and joining Paypal this fall, but think I'll wait and see what happens. I will give Paypal credit for cracking down on the rampant fraud that was going on when their service first started. it's less fraudulent and easy to abuse than it was in 2008, but I'm still leery of it.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckneccid View Post
Guys, you can still acccept checks, MO's, cash etc on e-bay, but you can't say that's the only payment you will accept. I'm waiting for a check now from an auction that ended a few days ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black68GTX View Post
I sell quite a bit on ebay. It is not pay pal only. You can take money orders or checks. It is against the law to force you to use paypal. That would be extortion. They only encourage you because they own paypal. I put in my listings money orders gladly acepted. No problem whatsoever.

OK, now I'm confused. The 2 fairly recent posts I quoted above say other payment methods are accepted.
But several times the linked news article claims nothing but PayPal is accepted ?!?!?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:50 PM

I still give USPO money orders to people I've done business with before and if I find an item I really like, I'll message and see if the seller will accept them.
The thing is, if that quote for buckneccid is true, you can't sell if you don't have a Paypal account....period.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:17 AM
Inactive User

Right, you MUST have a Pay Pal account to sell, and you must accept Pay Pal as a payment. You're not even allowed to say you won't accept Pay Pal or that you will charge back the Pay Pal fees to the buyer, and they no longer give you an option to put that you accept other payment types, however you can put in your description portion that you accept other payment types. They do'nt particularly like it cause then they lose thier 3% from the Pay Pal payment.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:08 PM

I wonder if they like it when they lose 100% from people avoiding their service. I was lectured time and again about middlemen, and Paypal is just another eBay hand in the till, taking from both ends of the deal.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:26 PM

and sell where?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ted View Post
and sell where?
There is a new site called bidmotors.com that looks to be a good alternative to ePay Motors.

Jack
Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Inactive User

And bidmotors was started by a nice Mopar guy. He's a reg over at another forum.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:46 PM

not much there
Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ted View Post
not much there
Yea, I saw that also. Ya know its surprising how much folks complain about eBay and their fees and criminal ways, but yet when an alternative comes along, everyone looks the other way. Lookin at their prices you would think sellers would flock to there. It just goes to show people are sheep, and eBay can raise their fees as high as they wish and do whatever they wish and the sheep will come back for more. Unbelievable.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Right, you MUST have a Pay Pal account to sell, and you must accept Pay Pal as a payment. You're not even allowed to say you won't accept Pay Pal or that you will charge back the Pay Pal fees to the buyer, and they no longer give you an option to put that you accept other payment types, however you can put in your description portion that you accept other payment types. They do'nt particularly like it cause then they lose thier 3% from the Pay Pal payment.
Even been a change to this now... if you put in your description that you accept money orders or checks, a bot catches it and tells you it seems you have put that option there and your listing will not be accepted. If you get past the bot and they see it, they will still pull your listing down. They are doing anything they can to make Pay Pal the only way.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Inactive User

Yup, and it gets better. Many people don't know that next year, seller will start gettin a 1099 form from Paypal and will have to start paying federal taxes for all their sales transactions. Looks like bidmotors.com allows sellers to accept any payment method.

Quote:
Even been a change to this now... if you put in your description that you accept money orders or checks, a bot catches it and tells you it seems you have put that option there and your listing will not be accepted. If you get past the bot and they see it, they will still pull your listing down. They are doing anything they can to make Pay Pal the only way.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 PM

Wrong and right. Ebay will not generate the 1099-K. PayPal will have to do that. At the same time, it is not ebay or paypals decision to do this. The IRS is making them do this. Once you have the 1099-K, you can easily show that what you sold was not new and worth less than you paid for it. As such, there is no tax. The tax is only required if you make a profit from the sale. Of course your losses can balance out your profits and you still owe nothing.

On top of that, ebay/paypal income is not reportable if your gross sales are under $20,000 for the year or you receive fewer than 200 transactions.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 PM

Biggrin

I have read that the whole premise of on line sales is being looked at as a source of tax revenue. I think some states are collecting sales tax already.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the clarifications. I said that Paypal is the one that will issue the 1099 form. You are correct that it is the IRS that is making Paypal do this. Good luck trying to convince the Feds that you are selling your stuff on eBay for less than you paid for it. For some reason I would think the IRS would have a hard time believing this especially if you sell allot of stuff. I mean, I don't know of a single person that gives away their valuable antique parts for less than they paid for them. The only certainty in eBay now is their fees going up and the taxes the Fed will now collect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler View Post
Wrong and right. Ebay will not generate the 1099-K. PayPal will have to do that. At the same time, it is not ebay or paypals decision to do this. The IRS is making them do this. Once you have the 1099-K, you can easily show that what you sold was not new and worth less than you paid for it. As such, there is no tax. The tax is only required if you make a profit from the sale. Of course your losses can balance out your profits and you still owe nothing.

On top of that, ebay/paypal income is not reportable if your gross sales are under $20,000 for the year or you receive fewer than 200 transactions.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:34 PM

if you sell alot of parts, its a business and you should already be paying taxes.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:50 AM
Inactive User

The good old tax man never misses anything
Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjack View Post
For some reason I would think the IRS would have a hard time believing this especially if you sell allot of stuff. I mean, I don't know of a single person that gives away their valuable antique parts for less than they paid for them.
Antique auto parts are not the only things being sold on ebay. I've bought video games, game consoles, televisions, cameras, and many other items from ebay for less than the store front competition. That can easily be shown as being sold at a loss.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:06 PM

I think the root of this is 2 fold, sure its a revenue generator as in the paypal fees, but it also forces the seller to accept the paypal security measures. case in point: I won a deadbeat seller judgement for a measly 30 bucks through Ebay. The seller didnt have a paypal balance to get my money out of (he emptied it) so I was assed out of the judgement. I got a letter saying that if anytime in the next 90 days the guy deposits money into that account, it gets sucked out in my favor. Now if they didnt have some sort of control on how the money is flowing, they cant guarantee the security of any deal, make a little sense? Its still the easiest way to part with your money, too simple.
When Moparbid or whatever goes mainstream, ill be on it, but Craigs (the cesspool that it is) is still pretty wild west. Deals and scams, play it smart and you can score big time, but always pay with a USPS MO, that saved my ass to the tune of $400 bucks already. Don Joslin, I still remember you from 15 years ago, wheres my money for that Predator? Out....