Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Inactive User

Default rear shock choices? (asphalt)

Ive been having trouble getting weight to transfer back off the turns. Im running a 3200lb street stock with mopar circle track leafs. the turn i have trouble with is pretty flat, the other end has more banking and causes less problems. currently i have a pair of heavy duty stock replacement shocks, but when i checked them this week they compress harder than they rebound. so I know i need rear shocks, we are allowed to run bearing mount shocks, but ends must be welded. in the past I did well with RCI "medium" on both rears , but im wondering if the rears should be softer on this car, being its a bit lighter? one softer than the other?

Im hoping that the knowledge of some on here can keep me from buying several sets of shocks.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Here is what this site says. http://www.racelinecentral.com/RacingSetupGuide.html

SHOCK COMPRESSION:
The stiffer the FRONT shocks, (higher the number) the tighter the car will be when braking.
The softer the FRONT shocks, (lower the number) the looser the car will be when braking.

The stiffer the REAR shocks, (higher the number) the looser the car will be under acceleration.
The softer the REAR shocks, (lower the number) the tighter the car will be under acceleration.

SHOCK REBOUND:
The stiffer the FRONT shocks, (higher the number) the tighter the car will be under acceleration.
The softer the FRONT shocks, (lower the number) the looser the car will be under acceleration.

The stiffer the REAR shocks, (higher the number) the looser the car will be under braking.
The softer the REAR shocks, (lower the number) the tighter the car will be under braking.

Shock synopsis:
RF

Higher compression will tighten the chassis entering a corner.

Lower compression will loosen the chassis entering a corner.

Higher rebound will tighten the chassis accelerating out of a corner.

Lower rebound will loosen the chassis accelerating out of a corner.

Overall stiffer RF shock will tighten chassis, weaker will loosen it.

RR

Higher compression will loosen the chassis accelerating out of a corner.

Lower compression will tighten the chassis accelerating out of a corner.

Higher rebound will loosen the chassis entering a corner.

Lower rebound will tighten the chassis entering a corner.

Overall stiffer RR shock will loosen chassis, weaker will tighten it.

LF

Higher compression will tighten the chassis entering a corner.

Lower compression will loosen the chassis entering a corner.

Higher rebound will tighten the chassis accelerating out of a corner.

Lower rebound will loosen the chassis accelerating out of a corner.

Overall stiffer LF shock will loosen chassis, weaker will tighten it.

LR

Higher compression will loosen the chassis accelerating out of a corner.

Lower compression will tighten the chassis accelerating out of a corner.

Higher rebound will loosen the chassis entering a corner.

Lower rebound will tighten the chassis entering a corner.

Overall stiffer LR shock will tighten chassis, weaker will loosen it.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Inactive User

thanks for the link. lot of info there it will keep me reading for a while. Im really hoping to get some feedback from those who have done it. that's the best thing about this site. there are really sharp guys here who know more than just what the book says. im leaning to a 4-4 on the rr and a 3-5 on the lr to get the weight to the lr as fast as possible. if i get too tight i can loosen it some with wedge. forgot to say we are on 8" goodyear bias tires. I know when i raced radials i would get basket ball effect on a soft shock, but i think the bias is a less bouncy tire. what do you guys think is soft on this setup? is a 4 soft enough? I know its a tuning thing and there is no right answer other than buying a number of options. Ill probably be ordering something in the next couple days. just looking for a starting point for now as im out to lunch.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Inactive User

I did some checking front shocks are monroe racing. lf, ssc2187 cco8ma2bm. rf, ssc12188 ck1sj1bh. as i understand it the 88 and 87 are the important numbers, but I wanted to give all the info i can. im pretty sure these shocks are out of production. the stock replacement "heavy duty" rears seem to be ultra soft in compression. they push down quickly with one hand. rebound seems to be pretty firm. the old RCI shocks i used to use on my old car were P5062 RCI 750C. still hoping for a good starting point, also wondering if the "kit car" springs are just too stiff for this car. its around 3200 and over 53% front. front seems to work pretty well so far. im sure once i get the back hooked up it will push.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Inactive User

Ran a similar set up on a 3/8 mile track (Tucson AZ) and found that soft was not the way to go! Ended up running pro WB 9 inch shocks and the car responded the best with a 96 on the left rear and a 95 on the right.

I thought the soft shocks were the way to go, but the let the car get too much roll (or at least thats what I felt). When I finally went heaver, the car became more predictable...I was running on a goodyear 8-inch and a 225 lt spring and a 200 right side.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Inactive User

hummm Thanks John! This is the input i need. anyone can get a book and do what it says, but real world input from somebody who has done it is sooo valuable. it makes me wonder cause the rci shocks i had good luck with would seem to be too stiff but they are already paid for so they might be the first step. it does feel to me like the car rolls onto the RR, but I was told that it doesn't look like it moves at all in the rear. the guy who told me this was watching from the banked end of the track and the major problem i feel is at the flatter end. if ya get setup for the flat end it always turns on the banking.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Inactive User

Thinking back, I started the season with 95's on both sides, but I put the 96 on the lt rear to hold the car from rolling over getting into the corner and I liked the way it felt. That was years ago, but we have tried the softer shocks on dirt but I keep coming back to te 95's/94's....but the best shock Ive ever found for dirt in a set of chevy truck shocks from the local parts store!