Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Inactive User

Default T B I

am in need of info on a t b i .. has any of you experimated w/ a t b i ?
if so how much did you find out?
i want a t bi from a 360 .. the plates are 2 5/16 just the tbi nothing else

thanks quinn
Old 04-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Inactive User

What are you doing with it? Are you converting from a carb?

I considered converting the 318 in my Satellite to the truck TBI setup. I got the TBI (though it was off a 3.9 motor), a V8 computer, distance sensor, temp sensors, map sensor and fuel pressure regulator (both of these are part of the TBI), distributor, and manifold. I still needed a pump and ISC motor, and in the end decided that if the conversion didn't work, I'd be out several hundred dollars on a system that might or might not work out for me. So I changed my mind and went with the Holley 950 4-barrel system.

I'm working on the tuning, but man, what a difference from the BBD carb! I'm still working out issues on the fuel return line, but am getting it dialed in pretty close. As I get the fuel return pressure down a bit more, I'll have to fatten up all the numbers a bit, I'm sure. Overall, I'm really pleased with it.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:42 AM
Inactive User

I've got the commander 950 too. while it is a step up from a carb. I highly suggest saving the couple extra dollars it's going to take, and go with multiport fuel injection instead of TBI. The difference is night and day..
Old 04-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Inactive User

thanks for the reply .... just didnt give all the info .. the 89 has a complete tbi systen ... mopar has no info on it .. the tech guys dont even know what it flows..
called holley [who makes the casting] they said mopar thinks it flows 525 or 550... it has 12 5/16 " plates.. called ,
ace they said it could flow 750 w/ that size plates..
its feeding a 410 rc 4x4 [a 360 40 over w/ 4 " crank].it will walk off from a chev that cuts out [the comp.] at 105. 4x4 low it hits the rev limiter at 5k in its own lingth + or - a little..
but the computer is still looking for the egr that isnt there.. it runs ok then it idles to fast .. turn the ign, off it goes to normal idle. im still a hard head i want to make it run right...i think it can but i need input...

that is why i am looking for a tbi body complete to exp w/ and keep the good one in case i screw it up ..

hope this makes a little more sence quinn
Old 04-16-2004, 10:36 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb might sound silly but

do you still have the egr and harness? just plug it in once and try it.The damn computer wont know if its accually doing anything or not and might close loop for you.Just an idea.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Inactive User

yes i do good idea thanks ill try it ... seems to simple not to work quinn
Old 04-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

You could also simulate the EGR solenoid with a resistor. Just measure the resistance of the solenoid, then go down to the local Radio Crap and buy a resistor of approximately the same value. Might have to be a heavy-duty unit depending on the resistance you need. Just ask the friendly pimple-faced clerk at the store, they should be able to help you out
Old 04-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Inactive User

ok i thought of that /// my ? is when does the resistance need to come i ?? the egr isnt in the circit at idle , and wot. if it is ok to have a res. all of the time it will work.. have only been able to get a res. amt .. of 13 ohms . if it is only in the inbetween it would still screw up? need more input.. keep it going we may get it . quinn
Old 04-18-2004, 04:22 PM
Inactive User

Don't think it matters. The computer will only look for the EGR when it wants to, and it expects the circuit to be complete. After all, the EGR solenoid is always connected, so just put an EGR simulator (the resistor) in its place. The box should never know the difference if you pick the right value. All you're really doing is fooling the box to think the EGR solenoid is connected.