Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-15-2001, 12:28 AM
daddys girl-RAISE HELL!

Question

What do I need done to my `69 stock 906 heads? This is going to be my first rebuild so the shortblock will be rebuilt stock except for pistons, cam, and i'm not sure about them so any ideas guys? Thanks-Dee
Old 05-15-2001, 01:58 AM

Thumbs up

Hi!

Well, in what kinda condition are they now? Are the valves sunken, are the valve guides worn? Are they flat or warped? Cracked?

Those things are repaired by a new valve seat job (maybe new bigger valves and/or seats are needed) and new valve guides and seals. Warped surfaces need to be shaved. And cracks can be found by a pressure test or magnafluxing.

How much HP are you after? In case of more than, say, 400hp your heads may need some porting.

Do you wanna run with unleaded gas? In that case the exhaust valve seats have to be stainless steel which are not there in stock #906 heads from the factory. So they may need to be changed.

So take the heads to a pro shop and ask them how much $ it will take to make them good. Just do the $ calculation and decide.....

Just my 2 cents, - BB 70 Challenger -
Old 05-15-2001, 02:53 AM

There are a few factors you need to consider before you decide what to have done. One, are you on a limited budget? Two, how fast do you want to go? The cost of head work can be very expensive. (porting, new seats and valve guides, ect...) If you are on a limited budget and assuming that there is nothing seriously wrong with your heads I would just lap the valves and keep them as is. You can have a fast car without porting your heads. On the other hand, if you have the money and want a little more power then have them pocket ported. Also, shop around for a good machine shop. There are lots of places that will rip you off for head work. Good luck with your project.

Clayton
Old 05-15-2001, 04:48 PM
Inactive User

Re: finding a good shop. Gromm Racing Heads in San Jose has the best rep in the area for heads, Clarke's in Cupertino for other engine work. My wife works for the dealers and they all use Clarke's. But Clarke's doesn't do heads, but Gromm has been around since 1970 and Clarke's along with some techs my wife knows agree that they are the best.

Like 68Charger 440HP said it's expensive. I had pocket porting done,3 angle valve job, new valves, guides, seats and springs and had my valve openings enlarged, and a little milling for my 318 heads. The total...$1500. (Pocket porting by itself was $250 and the valve job $98). I had to have specially sized valves for what I wanted to do, so that added a little to the price. For $1500 I could have bought a new set of Edelbrock or Magnum heads, but oh well.

A few words of caution, he's a great guy (I forget his first name) and is well regarding as doing excellent work, he may even have some suggestions for you. Get your heads in there NOW, though, if you plan to do it because he's always really backed up and it takes forever. I was willing to wait because I wanted them perfect, but I gave them to him last January and didn't get them back until June...

The address and phone number...

Gromm Racing Heads & Balancing Service
666 Stockton Ave. (nr. San Jose Arena off Alameda)
San Jose
408-287-1301

As for what to do with your heads, I think all suggestions above are good, and I really can't add much more. Save the money for your next buildup. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a pair, it would have been less trouble.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 05-15-2001, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Like 68 Charger says you can have a good running car on the street without alot of porting. I use 452 heads and my brother has his own valve equipment so I found a good set of used valves he had laying around and I did a 3 angle valve job and cut the used valves and lapped them in and we pocket ported them and cut them .060 and that was it ! Did not polish the ports or gasket match them or do any other porting just the pocket porting! I figured on a street car that will never see over 6k and using a 484 cam that all I needed was stock valves . Its a 383 in a Dart and the bottom end is all stock and I use 3.91 gears and it ran 12.40,s at 110 and the car drives great on the street and dont foul plugs as I use 72 and 78 jets in a 750 DP . I believe that alot of porting and larger valves on my setup would be a waste of time as I dont have enough motor to handle it so for a mild setup you dont have to go hog wild as it may not help you at all but can even hurt you if you dont have a combo to handle it! Ron