Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Inactive User

Default 4x4 727 rebuild or replace?

This is for my 71 4x4 that is going to have a 451 in front and big tires behide it. Right now it is making a kinda whining sound in first but i was planing to do something with it anyway. Should i get a 727 from tci or other places like that or just rebuild the thing myself? I plan on getting the books and videos for this as i have to rebuild one for a 1/2 ton. Goin to be a good practice run before i rip into mine.

Where is a good place to get the rebuild parts from? Also what torque converter should i get? Its goin to have the 451 powering it and a final ratio of about 100-1 with 40 inch tires.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Banned

well, all my 727's wine in first, some worse than others, never seemed to go out though.
first off, big tires and 451 inches, is this a mud buggy/hunting rig, or a mud slinger???
TCI is a good place to get kits.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetkboy78
well, all my 727's wine in first, some worse than others, never seemed to go out though.
first off, big tires and 451 inches, is this a mud buggy/hunting rig, or a mud slinger???
TCI is a good place to get kits.
Its just going to be an all around off road truck. Im going to use my 71 for the base build up just going to use the frame and 400-727-np205 to rockwell 2.5 ton axles on 40 inch boggers. The cab is going to be an early 90's dakota if it will fit if not then a 91 1/2 ton extended cab, the stock one is rusted to hell. And a flatbed in the back.

Im going to have to make a new tunnel anyway as im going to raise the engine and trans up 3 inches to clear the new front axle and keep the tcase off the rocks. So ill probably make the area surrounding the 727 out of 12 or 16ga to keep chunks of metal out of my feet incase the trans blows up.

I dont know im just prepairing for the warm weather to come so i can get this prodject going. Might just go with a manual trans so i dont have to worry about this kind of stuff.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToiletDuck
Its just going to be an all around off road truck. Im going to use my 71 for the base build up just going to use the frame and 400-727-np205 to rockwell 2.5 ton axles on 40 inch boggers. The cab is going to be an early 90's dakota if it will fit if not then a 91 1/2 ton extended cab, the stock one is rusted to hell. And a flatbed in the back.

Im going to have to make a new tunnel anyway as im going to raise the engine and trans up 3 inches to clear the new front axle and keep the tcase off the rocks. So ill probably make the area surrounding the 727 out of 12 or 16ga to keep chunks of metal out of my feet incase the trans blows up.

I dont know im just prepairing for the warm weather to come so i can get this prodject going. Might just go with a manual trans so i dont have to worry about this kind of stuff.
well, the first thing with off road trucks is heat, so a very tight converter is necessary, along with a very mild cam (unless you want a mud slinger) also a mild cam makes less heat. another nice thing about the low stall is your ability to "feel" your traction. we run a big cooler box with a tranny cooler and a oil cooler,along with a thermostaticaly ran deadenbear fan (mines off of a air conditioned mercedes) also, we use a fully manual valve body, because of the wet brakes, its nice to be able to use your engine, but its your choice.
with gears like that (double t case?) the hard shift is not necessary, but a quik reverse/foward is, you can tell your tranny builder that, or do some reaserch, my bud does all our trannys, so i really dont know.
4 speeds are nice, untill you get the clutch hot or wet, also, they are harder to rock, and harder on the running gear.
wich axles are you running? do you already have the tires?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Inactive User

sorry for the delay i forgot about this thread. Would a manual valve body be harder on the 727 in an offroad situation? Iv got a set of rockwell axles that have 6.72 gears and goin to run 48" tall millitary tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetkboy78
well, the first thing with off road trucks is heat, so a very tight converter is necessary, along with a very mild cam (unless you want a mud slinger) also a mild cam makes less heat. another nice thing about the low stall is your ability to "feel" your traction. we run a big cooler box with a tranny cooler and a oil cooler,along with a thermostaticaly ran deadenbear fan (mines off of a air conditioned mercedes) also, we use a fully manual valve body, because of the wet brakes, its nice to be able to use your engine, but its your choice.
with gears like that (double t case?) the hard shift is not necessary, but a quik reverse/foward is, you can tell your tranny builder that, or do some reaserch, my bud does all our trannys, so i really dont know.
4 speeds are nice, untill you get the clutch hot or wet, also, they are harder to rock, and harder on the running gear.
wich axles are you running? do you already have the tires?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Can't use a manual since it does not hold the over running clutch in low gear. Good way to explode a tranny.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:35 PM

There are manual valve bodies that do apply the rear band, they're available from the more technologically advanced companies.