Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-15-2002, 10:47 AM
Inactive User

Default TD or Jesel Rockers for my Original B-1 Heads

I have been breaking Push Rods and Rockers on my B-1 Heads and I think that there is to much flex in the Rocker shafts. Has any one had this problem and what did you do to fix it?
Old 06-15-2002, 10:35 PM
Inactive User

Gripe Pushrods

I had that happen, but with stageVI heads.
I found that the problem was the pushrod tip was not getting enough oil, it think it was slinging it of at RPM's.
I changed to a Comp pushrod/ lifter setup that oiled through the pushrod's and it solved the problem. The only down side is that I lost some oil pres. at idle but above 1500 RPM's or It goes back to normal....
Maybe worth checking
Old 06-15-2002, 10:39 PM
Inactive User

Did you have to bush the lifter bores when you went to the Chevy type pushrod setup.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:16 PM
Inactive User

Hemi Guy,

I'm guessing you're presently running the Mopar/Koffel rockers, have never heard anyone that had anything good to say about them for the reasons you've already mentioned. Not familiar with
the Jesel setup but the T & D's have a cup adjuster instead of a ball which requires a pushrod with ball ends on both ends. The adjusters are pressure fed from the shafts to oil the top of pushrod. Pretty neat setup, I think, and eliminates the need for oil through the lifter and pushrod, although what Blackcuda suggested would be the way to go if you stayed with the Mopar rockers.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

Cool Lifter

Sorry, I have had company so I have not been checking my mail lately... I did not bush the lifter bores to run them. At the time I had an old high school buddy that worked for them and after trying the traditional set-up, and it failing he suggested that I go to the oil through the pushrod type deal.

He even swapped out some of my old stuff for the new so I did not have to buy it all over again. It worked for me, and my pushrods were easier to get too.

If I had bushed the lifter bore, then I probally would not have lost the oil press. at idle, but in my case it is not severe. I idle hot 15-20 psi and above around 1500 it comes up to the bypass.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:29 PM
Inactive User

I run Harland Sharps on mine. I had to narrow a couple of the stands and make my own spacers to go between the rocker arms. I'll try to post a pic if it will work. It's not a great pic but I have roller bearings between the rockers and between the exhaust rocker and the stands to eliminate the friction from the pushrod angle. This stops the wear between the rocker and spacer that is common to the B-1 rocker.
Old 06-22-2002, 01:28 AM
Inactive User

It's hard to go wrong with Harland/Sharps, got 2 sets of them for iron head and Stage VI, but I wasn't aware they made rockers for the B-1. How do they compare pricewise to the T&D's, they were $895 plus shipping about 3 years ago, just curious. I ran a guy from Memphis with a red 2-door post A-body, (don't remember exactly what year or make, just remember it was a B-1 motor) at Monster Mopar about 5 years ago, I was in a candy red 23T with a 512 iron head motor with Hilborn Shotgun on a tunnel-ram. Any chance that was you??
Old 06-22-2002, 01:41 AM
Inactive User

I ran T&Ds on both my INDY and B-1 heads. I used the individual shaft set-up and it was vastly superior to the standard stuff. Oiling through the pushrod is the better way to go if possible. It is likely that your lifters are drilled already and since you will have to change pushrods to the ball/ball arrangement for shaft rockers, might as well get drilled pushrods and oil through them.

Monte Smith
Old 06-22-2002, 11:34 AM
Inactive User

23-T Wedge the rockers are basicly a W-2 rocker and they were around $850. I looked at going with a Jessel set up but they were very much against a spray bar set up. They want to oil through the pushrod but my indy block does not oil the lifters so I couldn't do that. I think I know who it was that you raced at the Monster Mopar Weekend. I have a 72 Cuda which at that time was primered and had ALMOST READY on the doors.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:05 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up S & S

How ya been, You probally don't remember me but I saw you run your car at Byhalia a long time ago. I had a bunch of ? for you about the B-1. Glad to here you still got the car and are still runnin it....
Old 06-24-2002, 10:28 PM
Inactive User

blackcuda, I don't remember but if I seen you I might remember who you are. I'm still going to Byhalia and occasionally Memphis Motorsports. What kind of car do you have and do you ever take it to the track.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:58 PM
Inactive User

S & S

Hello again, didn't think you'd remember, it has been a long time. Well I have a black 70 'Cuda, 440 w/ stage VI heads. I have been running the heads-up, 10.5 inch tire class. I have not been to Byhalia in a couple of years. I got a new job, more money but I have to work weekends . In a few years I should have enough senority to get one weekend day off.
I have been running up at Jaskson, Tn. they have a 10.5 tire race about once a month, but the last race I ran at I had a BIG BOOM with the tranny. The car has been down since.
I got married, had a baby, and got a house, whew, but I should be able to get the car going again soon! BTW, I need a cage do you know anyone close by that is good? How's your car running now? If I remember you were in the low fives at Byhalia.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:50 PM
Inactive User

blackcuda, I do all of my own chassis work so I haven't had any experiences with shops in the area. There is a place on Hollywood called DJ's. He has done some things for people that I know. So far our best et. at Byhalia is 5.02. Weather permitting I am going to try and go to Motorsports this weekend.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:58 PM
Inactive User

Cool Cool

I hope one day I can get more into it by doing my own chassis, etc. I am a very hands on type guy, I would rather do things myself so I can be sure it is done right ! I have a buddy that has opened his own machine shop in Walnut and he is letting me do my own machine work, with his help of course. He has been a machinist for 14 years and he is a Mopar Guy! So I'll get there one day .
Well Good Luck this weekend, I wish I could be there, but I have to work.
Old 06-29-2002, 09:17 AM
Inactive User

has anyone ran the b1 rockers and had them last at 725 lift? Which is small for b1's i just wanna know if i'm safe at that lift with the rockers if not i can't even see why they make those rockers if they can't even last on a low lift cam like that
Old 06-30-2002, 03:30 PM
Inactive User

mopardude, when I first got my heads the cam I had was .750 lift. I had some problems at that level but when I went to the .816 lift cam that I run now it became almost a weekly problem. You might be ok but you will just have to try it to find out.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:13 PM
Inactive User

I Personally know of two guys that have don everything they could to try and make those rockers work with out any luck.

Both of them finally changed over to Jessel and it was the end of there problems.

This is one of the cars. He runs in Super Street.

Old 07-06-2002, 06:34 PM
Inactive User

Don't even start your motor. This is why I started this post as I went through all of this and I think that I will go with the Jessel set up as I have had it with everthing else.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

Decided to post my latest info on my jesel setup on 440-1 heads. Had K1000h springs on an ultradyne cam, kept breaking springs but the jesel stuff never loosened up or changed lash. I posted on another board and was urged to go to a bigger spring , and chose a 947 comp cams spring, with 350 on the seat, up from the 225 of the old springs. The car picked up .08 in the 1/8th mile, with no other changes!
My point is, the jesel rockers were probably taking quite a beating, with the valves bouncing around so bad i was lossing that much power, and i only run to 7100 rpm.
Even with the abuse delt to them with the harsh cam and weak springs, they never faltered. I put 200 passes on this setup before i finally went to the comp 947s. I oil through the pushrods, and for overkill i also have the spraybars. So it would seem to me that these jesel parts will take a lot of abuse and give very good service life. From what i have heard the T&D are on the same level.