Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Inactive User

Default Magnum 5.9 swap

Hi guys,I am Thinking about a 5.9 mag swap into my 75 RR.I have a couple of ? though.
1.will my distributer from my standard{pre-mag}318 work or will the dist. from the mag work with a chrome box?

2.will the oil pan from a 96 van work for my app. or is there a after market pan?

3.has anyone tried the edelbrock rpm intake yet?It is pn#7577,but summit does not have a listing on thier website?

4.I would like a decent lope to the engine,how does the R/T cam sound?I am planning to use a 750 vac,sec.holley{new,already own}edel.rpm airgap,R/T cam.Any HP/TQ guesses?

Thanks for any help,John
Old 06-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Hey John; You'll love this;
The Magnum create engine is a basic stock engine fitted with what I read some place, hyperuteic pistons. I don't know for sure about that, but comp. ratio is stock.
The pre Magnum distib will work on the Magnum engine no problem. It is a bolt in and wire up thing.
A van oil pan will NOT work. The van pans (& truck as well) are rear sump pans. You can get a new pan, stock, from MoPar. Mildon etc... will also have pans.
The Edel. Magnum RPM is not up and running on the production line as of yet, to my understanding. On this site, here , we are blessed with an Edel. engineer, RogerH that keeps us informed about whats going on at Edelbrock. Do a search to see if he has posted any good news about production on these intakes.
Word has it, it should work as well if not better than the regular RPM. (Which by the way runs neck and neck and/or a tad better than the MoPar single plane intake as per Mopar Muscle mags intake shoot out.)
A decent lope requires a tight centerline. A roller cam mellos out the lope some even though it may have the same specs as a solid or Hyd. cam. I do like the way it sounds from other create engines I've heard.
Run the Holley 750 since you have it, and why not right? Use the larger tube sized headers (1-7/8) rather than the 1-5/8 street units.
I have seen several dyno tests of the Magnum create engine. Not a 1 was under 400 HP when following MoPars guide lines on what to use. (Previously listed above parragraph.)
Most tests had it pegged at 410 HP or better. You should produce the same result with better low RPM torque due to the dual plane intake.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Inactive User

Since we're already on the subject, I also have a question pertaining to the "new" magnum engine. I have never owned one, therefore I haven't really had a good look the port(s) configuration of one on the exhaust side.

What I have been wondering is; Would headers / exh. manifolds for the late model match up to the ports and bolt holes on an older model LA small block (with J heads, for instance.) or vice versa? I'm guessing that they would be the same boltup since the newer heads are (basically) the same, with the exception of the intake mounting bolt angles, and the type of valvetrain gear being used ?..?..

John C.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Inactive User

The Magnum crate exhaust ports match up at least enough to bolt on anything that fit pre-magnum. You can also bolt on truck headers, but the the only restriction is getting it to fit the pipes.

If you want to drop a crate into your truck, then any header or manifold that fit before will fit now. Anythiing made for an RR will likewise fit that just as well. For the RR, you can use AAR manifolds( I got a set, jet-hot coated them..) and order exact fit exhaust pipes from TT based on the body style and manifold part #. It's a decent compromise from the stock logs, at least to me..quiet, no heat problems, looks stock...(jey hot can coat them grey, so they don't LOOK coated..)

Also, I have not had ANY problems bolting up all of the accessories,all the standard v-belt stuff. I even run a/c (this is a 360/380) without any trouble, overheating, or driveability issues.

You best order up a carb and ignition from Don, though..the stock stuff they reccomend sucks.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

thanks for the replies guys,I also have a lead on a 340.would there be any benefit in a 360 mag over a 340 or wouled the 340 be a better{hp per $}bet?Also any rec. on torque conv. for a 904 in a 3700lb car/what rear gear? thanks for the help.
oh by the way if your wondering buffing out 29 year old trim sucks!@!!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Click here and talk to Frank Lupo for torque converters.
http://www.dynamicconverters.com/
Rear gear (And tire size) will detrmin the final converter specs, along with everything else about the car. So figure out what gear ratio you want. There are calcs on line to help figure what ratio you may want. You should select a ratio that puts your car at "X" RPM while at hwy. speed of "Y" You should be in the engines power band when you come up with this number.
Example; 3300 rpm's @ 60 MPH will use a 4.10 ratio with 27 inch tires.
I don't recomend a 340 in a heavy street car. The extra stroke of the 360 is a bennifit to the torque producing capablitys of the engine. An extra 20 cubes, mostly in stroke since the 360 bore is 4 inchs and the 340's 4.04.
Magnum heads have a slight advantage in flow in low lift areas over the older heads. This translates into more power. It is a steadier flow of air rather than a rush of air at higher lifts.
The older heads can be ported to flow more overall air than stock Magnum heads when there also fully ported.
Magnum R/T heads are an interesting head to look at later for up grades.
Click here for pipe dreams on your Magnum heads or R/T heads.
http://hughesengines.com/
http://hughesengines.com/heads/magnum_heads.asp
http://hughesengines.com/heads/rt_heads.asp
Old 06-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

Thanks Rumble great info.I really am only thinking 340 due to it is a new short block,trw piston,eagle rods steel crank even painted blue for 650 bucks{guy needs quick cash}so it might be too good to pass up.
A friend at work is after me to go big block,but I would like the car a little more balanced,instead of just max straight line speed.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:00 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
it is a new short block,trw piston,eagle rods steel crank even painted blue for 650 bucks.
If this info is accurate, and I were you.... I'd already be $650 poorer.
I haven't seen hardly anything pertaining to a mopar anywhere NEAR where I live in a LONG @ss time. There's mostly GM junk, (83%) a few fords (15%) and even fewer MOPARs (2% at best) around here as far as older (driveable) cars are concerned. Older Mopar parts / vehicles are as hard to come by as hens teeth around here, and 80-90% of what CAN be found is usually rusted beyond recognition or just plain JUNK!
Because of this, it really sucks to be a mopar fan living in this area.........but, I guess the best things in life usually do require us to put forth some extra effort in order to acquire them.

John C.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:01 AM
Inactive User

Sorry, didn't mean to post twice..
Old 06-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
I'd already be $650 poorer.
Damn skippy I'd be $650 poorer to.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Inactive User

Srry guys to revive an old topic,I finally bought a 98 5.9 mag from a 1500 ram pickup.I am hooking it up to my 904 trans and need help figuring up how this engine is balanced?is it like the pre-mag 360?
I am looking forward to getting it running soon hopefully,It only has 32000 miles and I got it for 700 bucks with a 12 month warranty.
I do wish I could have sprung for a 380 crate but this will be a good start.I am also putting a shift kit & convetor at the same time.Thanks for the help
Old 07-25-2004, 12:30 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

No problem Jhnybgd.

A '98 Magnum engine is balanced like this.
318 internal
360 external, not the same as earlier 360 engines.
For this you will need 1 of 2 things. Ethier a torque converter from the vehicle it came from and or one balanced for it (As in new)
OR a weight kit from MoPar to rebalance the old (Pre Magnum) torque converter.
That engine is a perfect platform to go from.