Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:05 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Default New charger check it out!!

Hey this is the most extensive site I have seen. Check it out boys and girls!!

www.dodge.com/autoshow/charger/gallery.html
73 Swinger
76 Ram 3/4 Ton
77 Ram Shortbed 1/2 Ton
74 Duster w/318
92 Sundance
89 LeBarron Convertable Turbo
Old 01-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Inactive User

Well, its a car...I still don't see anything that draws from the past, kinda looks like a 4 door magnum, the omni charger from the 80's didn't draw from the past, so time marches on, someday I'll get used to the car. Is DCX really the same as the Chrysler from years ago?
Old 01-23-2005, 12:10 PM

Whats the deal with all new cars these days having the 1 square foot wrap around taillights? It makes the car look like the manufacturer saved a buck by making the entire rear corner plastic and RED, no matter what color you buy the car in. At least they are not chrome on the inside. And ditch those generic cookie cutter wheels for some paint matched rims with a DODGE dog dish, now that is retro...
Old 01-23-2005, 12:24 PM

Thats the first good look I've gotten at the interior and dashboard, thanks for the link!
Alot of the recent comments remind me of listening to my Dad and Uncle John D talk about the modern cars of the time, they looked at them more like appliances than automobiles. I did get to take Dad a ride in my 70 Roadrunner, he said his old 34 Ford coupe was pretty quick. So I asked him, "did it accelerate like this?"
We were following a slowpoke, so I was able to drop it back into 2nd, then run it up thru 3rd, and let off going into 4th. We were speeding by then...
He said, nope, it didnt run like that!!
I doubt we'll ever have a modern Mopar or vehicle with the charm of their ancestors, but time marches on.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Inactive User

Default Uuugghh!

Waiting all this time for DC to let it out...and this is the product?!?

The concept car was so close to the mark back in 2000. At least in terms of body styling.

They should call it something else...likwe the "lukewarm"..or how about the "Incredibly Boring"

Screw it...I had a thought of getting a newer Jag X8, or whatever they are called, putting some Mopar power under the hood, taking the emblems off my Challenger and there it is...a modern day Challenger.

Not that I could actually afford to do it, but if I could I would!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:52 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

I'm with Stoga, I remeber my pops saying the same thing about the cars from the 70's. He was big on the 50's Buicks and Pontiac's. I bite my toungue on the looks, to me its hard to call it a Charger. I dig the new 300's because they have always been a luxuary type car where the Charger has always been the sports type car. But man if nothing else I bet you its a blast to drive!!!
73 Swinger
76 Ram 3/4 Ton
77 Ram Shortbed 1/2 Ton
74 Duster w/318
92 Sundance
89 LeBarron Convertable Turbo
Old 01-24-2005, 01:04 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontlit
The concept car was so close to the mark back in 2000. At least in terms of body styling.
Totally agree mate, totally. Thats the thing that bugs me most, got my hopes up, yeah that was a 4 door to but they hid the doors well and the sytle was close to the original Charger. Now they built this box, I mean Charger. I don't hate the new Charger, but the name doesn't belong there. Oh well, I'll probably wait for another 5 years or buy a sprts version and do some major modes to this new sedan.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Inactive User

Same hear, I saw concept drawings and they had a definite link to the past. This is just like the Magnum, minus the wagon. I think they could have really cashed in if they went with some retro styling cues. Now its just a nice sedan. I rather buy a new Magnum[a new identity not pretending to be something else]or the 300[always powerful full sized luxury].
Old 01-26-2005, 12:57 AM
Inactive User

I think it being called a Magnum is ironic, since it has a hemi, if it had a magnum.... ah, whats my point
I cant wait for the aftermarket to jump on the Charger, I would hope someone would make a 17 inch dog dish wheel for it, oh wait I think Stockton already does, If I only had the money like the guys featured on rides every week, I could show how its done.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:38 AM
Inactive User

Angry

If it looked like the 99-00 concept I would love it but I am very disapointed. I would like this one if it had 2 fewer doors. Even thin I dont think this car should be called charger.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Inactive User

Angry

AGREED! 4 doors on a charger? HA! I can't believe that 4 doors made it past a concept sketch. I hate fords, but let me tell you, the guys who designed the new 2005 Mustang knew what they were doing. That car links back well. Maybe the guys in the dodge design room will feel a bit ashamed now that Ford is one up on them in keeping it in touch with its roots. Makes my gut hurt.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Inactive User

Default Wait Till You See It In Person

I was looking forward to seeing it in person, The pictures dont do it any justice. I saw it at the naias and was very dissapointed. I thought it was way to big and bulky looking. I would never buy one. We will be buying something else. It may be fun to drive but so would a garbage truck.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:20 AM
Inactive User

I'm just not crazy about the new "hemi" either. Yeah, the 300 doesn't do too bad for a boat. But it doesn't do great either. The Ram Hemis are really not jaw-dropping impressive compared to the other V8's from Ford and Chevy. Sometimes I wonder if Mercedes makes Chrylser cut the HP and TQ a little bit just so it doesn't show up their line a little too much.

The new mustang GT does 0-60 in about 5 seconds flat. The only thing that might excite me about the new hemi is if it could best that, and be around the same price.

Any performance data on this thing yet?

Looks kinda like a Neon from the back, doesn't it? (Just what I want everybody thinking as I drive it down the road... )
Old 01-27-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMadman
Any performance data on this thing yet?
Very little so far. I have 340 bhp at 5000rpm, redline at 5800,weight at 4142 lbs.
Acceleration from 0 to 62 mph is 6.3 seconds.
Got this info from this link:
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/dodge_magnum.asp
If someone has a dragstrip simulator program, that should be enough to get a ballpark figure...though things like available gear ratios and other similar data would be helpful.
I did find this quote interesting,"The Ram Hemis are really not jaw-dropping impressive compared to the other V8's from Ford and Chevy."
Remember, those ARE truck engines and are tuned from the factory for that kind of use.
Compared to what, which Phord or Shivvy engines in which chassis?
Remember if you're comparing vette or lightning engines, you should be comparing them to Vipers, not a middle of the price range vehicle like the Charger. Of course, I'm not sure what power the bigger Hemi they are supposed to have optional is going to put out. The car isnt on the market yet, so info is still a bit sparse, and I imagine highly guarded at least at this point in time.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Inactive User

It's not a bad car, but the "Charger" name is all wrong for it. Why not Monaco GTX or Diplomat RT, something like that would better suit a squarish sport sedan. This is as big a disappointment as the new GTO (Ughhhh).

I was never crazy about Ford mechanically but they're styling dept definatley hit the mark with the new T-bird, Stang, Maurauder, and F100. Like 'em or not those are nice rides! Why cant the guys a Chrysler do that and get away from this "cab-forward" jellybean look? It cant be the German influence, cause all the Benz's are low & swoopy? I dont get it!
Old 01-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down Charger ?

yeah...what happened to the charger r/t concept car ? thats how it should have looked instead of this horsy lookin mercedes crap !
Old 01-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Inactive User

Yuck!!!!! 4 Doors?!?!?!?! They Need To Try Again!!!
Old 01-28-2005, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslinger60
I was never crazy about Ford mechanically but they're styling dept definatley hit the mark with the new T-bird, Stang, Maurauder, and F100.
I can see your point on the new Mustang, and the F100 has always been popular, but the new T-Bird and Marauder? Both of those cars tanked saleswise.
I guess the one thing I wonder is if DC hadnt called it Charger, how many of you would have liked it anyway?
And the other thing is, if they hadnt called it Charger, how many of you would have been in here saying they should have called it Charger!!!
Old 01-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

whatever it is, it's a damn shame! and it sure ain't a Charger.........djs
Old 01-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga
I guess the one thing I wonder is if DC hadnt called it Charger, how many of you would have liked it anyway?
If they hadnt called it Charger, how many of you would have been in here saying they should have called it Charger!!!
Those are silly questions Stoga, To answer your first one, probably half of the guys saying they don't like it based only on the Charger name then there would definitely be a "few" more that would consider it. Your second question is very easy, after ALLLLL this bashing of the name "Charger", oh, not any Charger, one with 4-doors you really think there are going to be guys out there who would say it should be called a Charger?!?!?!